Ricky Stuart is a fraud

Ricky Stuart:

"'Until I get Origin players or international players in here, it ain’t going to change.
Raiders somehow manage to get said Origin/International players.

"Until they solve global warming and the is peace in the middle east, it ain't gonna change"

I thought it was the coach's job to develop young talent into rep stars

Hasn't RS just admitted here that he can't coach?

I thought it was the coach's job to develop young talent into rep stars

Hasn't RS just admitted here that he can't coach?

Apparently everyone keeps stealing their future rep players.

It seems to me as soon as the players are any good, they **** off out of Canberra pretty quick.

Another rant from Nick Tedeschi:

From The Couch: Round 23 : Makingthenut

Translating Ricky’s Rant: Ricky Stuart went on (another) bizarre rant after the Raiders were humiliated at home by the Dragons. Here is what he said and what it really means.

Ricky: Seven tries there today. You get four Origin players, two Origin players score four of them. You get an international score another one and you get two internationals in the halves who have had outstanding games.
Translation: Players selected for Origin and Test football are typically better than those who aren’t. We were beaten by a team who was better recruited, better developed and better managed than ours. That is unfair. Ricky’s teams should never have to start on the wrong end of the talent stick.

Ricky: but until I get Origin players or internationals here around that group of blokes in there, I’ve got some brilliant young players coming through, it ain’t going to change, that’s my job.
Translation: My job is to recruit Origin players and internationals. This is somewhat of a problem as I have not recruited an international since 2010 when I got the great PNG international Paul Aiton to the Sharks. The only other internationals I have recruited since 2007 are Reni Maitua and Anthony Tupou – who both spent their entire Test careers under my coaching – and a 31-year-old Trent Barrett. I also got Origin players Josh Hannay and Danny Nutley but I dropped Hannay to club football.

Ricky: Until I can recruit those boys, until we can grow our own, we’re going to have to stick solid and keep working hard to get a win for this club.
Translation: Until I prove to the world that I am actually Jesus and can turn water into wine then everyone will just have to accept that the Raiders are going to lose.

Ricky: Today, international players and Origin players beat us. We haven’t got any. Until I get them here, we’re going to have to keep fighting hard.
Translation: Well, we actually have four including two that played today but until I can fill the huge gulf between what I promise I can deliver in terms of recruitment and what I actually can recruit (I like to call this the Greg Bird – Justin Hunt Canyon – then we can just throw our hands up and blame the fact we don’t have any quality players.

Ricky: I’ve said all year it’s time and patience. If you want me to be more open and honest about it, which I don’t like doing because it just gives all the knockers out there an even crack at me. So be it, it doesn’t hurt me, I don’t give a stuff what people say about me.
Translation: I’ve said all year, despite my total inability to win throughout most of my coaching career, despite plenty of evidence counting against my claims that I know what I’m doing, that clubs should trust me and pay me lots of money while they do trust me.

Ricky: I’m here to do a job, and the way I do it is we slowly, slowly build.
Translation: I do prefer to do things slowly. That way I get paid quite a lot of money before it is revealed I don’t actually know what I’m doing. And I am of the belief that ‘build’ is a synonym for ‘gut and destroy’.

Ricky: I’ll grow my own in there, I’ve got Origin [potential] players in there that one day will play Origin
Translation: I’ll be able to grow my own. Surely. How hard can it be? Sure, only three players have made their Origin or international debut since 2006 and one of them was one-Test Kiwi winger Luke Covell, I am sure I can turn these kids into Origin stars.

Ricky: I will gradually get our own and I will gradually recruit players to this club, and we will be a force again one day. It’s time and patience.
Translation: Trust me, just trust me … sure I am saying the exact opposite of what I have done but trust me … remember, I just need time and patience and my you can deposit a large cheque into my bank account every week while we wait. As an aside, did you know you have a large inheritance waiting with the King of Nigeria and he has personally asked me to broker the payment for you?

Ricky: I’m not looking for a scapegoat and I’m not trying to make excuses, I’m just telling you exactly how [it is].
Translation: People who are looking for a scapegoat or an excuse always say I’m not looking for a scapegoat and I’m not trying to make excuses.

Ricky: It doesn’t affect me at all. What was in the paper today and I’m not trying to be rude, it was wrong.
Translation: It was wrong that you blokes in the media can read because Hull recruitment manager Motu Tony declared that his club had tabled an offer to the Raiders for Campese but a deal could not be reached.

Ricky Stuart started at Cronulla in 2007

Reni Maitua played for Australia in 2006

Anthony Tupuo debuted for Australia in 2006 (from memory)

Josh Hannay played at Cronulla before Stuarts tenure

Danny Nutley played in 2005

Last edited:
Didn't Papalii play Origin this year & isn't he in the Canberra squad?

Didn't Papalii play Origin this year & isn't he in the Canberra squad?

Yes and this is the exact reason why his argument is flawed, like AP's about Bennett teams and rep players.

Has Papalii been playing to rep standard this year? No way in the world. Was hopeless in Origin as well. Josh McGuire has had a better season and he hasn't played for Queensland.

So the nuts and bolts of it going by Raiders supporters is that the both the Leagues Club and Club boards are just ancient old boys clubs with a shitload of money and don't give a **** about anything.

They deserve everything they're getting, saddle up for another year or two of this cause they aren't sacking him :laugh:

It seems to me as soon as the players are any good, they **** off out of Canberra pretty quick.

You only stay in canberra if you want to try and hide the fact that you're not actually very competent. I mean look at all the politicians.

With ASADA handing out notices to the Sharks players and ex-players, Ricky might get a reprieve... depends on how the Sharks react to the news.

6 month off season ban, early mad Monday for most

Sorry if it has been mentioned before, but Sticky doesn't think the salary cap is working and thinks the NRL aren't doing enough to help the "struggling teams" attract players...

what a joke.

he was offering players so much more than any other team even dreamed of offering them (in some cases well over $1 million a season) and yet they still turned them down ...

what they hell does he want the NRL to do, allow the Raiders double the salary cap of every other team; or maybe force certain players to play for the Raiders at gun point.

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says NRL salary cap isn't working

Sorry if it has been mentioned before, but Sticky doesn't think the salary cap is working and thinks the NRL aren't doing enough to help the "struggling teams" attract players...

what a joke.

he was offering players so much more than any other team even dreamed of offering them (in some cases well over $1 million a season) and yet they still turned them down ...

what they hell does he want the NRL to do, allow the Raiders double the salary cap of every other team; or maybe force certain players to play for the Raiders at gun point.

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says NRL salary cap isn't working

So effectively he wants the draft - because it means that the Raiders can effectively force players to come and play for them. Otherwise no one will.

There was another one I read about him where he said that clubs shouldn't have any unfair advantage over other clubs that will make it more attractive to players. BUT, when he took over at the Eels, he made a massive point in saying that he is looking forward to luring current & prospective NSW players to them so that they can play under the (then) state coach. Idiot.

I think most of the top players have now finally realized that he is a fraud

and that many of the young up-and-comers have realize that for the good of their careers, they need to get away from Stuart ASAP.

I still laugh that the Raiders (and Furner) thought that Stuart would be able to change Milfords mind about coming to us

Active Now

• Dash
  • Big Del
  • Bish
  • Ondi
  • Swordfish
  • Santa
  • Culhwch
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fozz
  • Kev_Guz
  • broncsgoat
  • johnny plath
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.