Roberts found guilty

Re: Roberts chances at the judiciary?

Hey, I agree with what you are saying, but to me the greater value is in Roberts learning a lesson. I just don't think the lesson about how he screwed the entire team over is as strong if you try and get him off or down-graded or whatever. I'm not particularly a fan of the man he currently is, so I am a bit biased in that sense. But I do want to see him develop into a player that I'm proud to call a bronco. No matter what, he's getting a week, yes? Then let him stew on it, not baby him.

Did Roberts pot your missus or something mate?

It's because of the rubbish contrary conduct charge they have come up with to try and suspend him. Kasiano was charged with dangerous conduct for kicking Cozza but Roberts wasn't for Simpkins...

Why? Because grade 1 dangerous conduct wouldn't have seen Roberts suspended. So they have charged him with something that will give him a week instead of charging him with the charge for what he did.

Even if he is suspended it is worth fighting to make a point. You can't just make up the rules to suit your desire. To be honest the Broncs should seriously be considering a judicial review of the whole process. It is rubbish. The NRL is reacting to over the top media hype, trying to ease the pressure on themselves for their own incompetence and we are the scapegoats.

What Roberts did was idiotic and I don't condone it, but if they are going to let guys off for shoulder charges then half baked kicks that don't cause any harm should be charged accordingly and not according to some ill-defined 'perception' about what such an act 'deserves'.

This. All of this.

To add to it, we get fucked over all year by the refs and the judiciary. Consistently bad calls, no one bats an eyelid. Now after one game, one that we were always going to win, we finally get some favourable calls and all of a sudden we're the dirtiest, luckiest team in the comp, and the judiciary needs to go hard on us in order to crush any ideas of bias towards us?!?!? Please.

Guys.

Does anyone truly believe that he was charged with contrary (rather than dangerous) contact as part of some agenda to impose a mandatory 1 week sentence?

Wouldn't it be more logical that it is the appropriate charge as his actions weren't inherently dangerous, but definitely not in the spirit of good sportsmanship?

The charge fits the crime. No agenda here.

That said, faux moral outrage from other fan bases regarding our contesting the charge is sheer petulance. That's how a judiciary system works, you're entitled to plead your case.

Don't like our chances though.

The whole judiciary system is fucked... This should probably be straight forward and he should sit out for a week but because others have gotten off worse charges you end up thinking if others can get off why should he sit out?

Does this get fought tomorrow night?

No it's tomorrow night. Something about the lawyer we want to use(Ghabar? Same guy who got Wighton off) not being available tonight.

Guys.

Does anyone truly believe that he was charged with contrary (rather than dangerous) contact as part of some agenda to impose a mandatory 1 week sentence?

Wouldn't it be more logical that it is the appropriate charge as his actions weren't inherently dangerous, but definitely not in the spirit of good sportsmanship?

The charge fits the crime. No agenda here.

That said, faux moral outrage from other fan bases regarding our contesting the charge is sheer petulance. That's how a judiciary system works, you're entitled to plead your case.

Don't like our chances though.

Absofuckenlutely I do. The NRL/judiciary needed an easy kill and Roberts the stupid **** provided them with the chance. FMD contrary conduct could be laid as a charge about 10 times every game. If the NRL is fair dinkum they would have been charging every player who races in and slaps blokes off the ball or pulls hair or cheats at the toss for extra time but all that is gamesmanship.

I would go as far to say that this also kills 2 birds with 1 stone because the NRL were dirty that he got away with the Normanby incident and probably 1 other thing during the year.

The problem with the NRL judiciary is that it is run by the NRL and therefore isn't

Judiciary hearings are always Wednesday night.

Judiciary hearings are always Wednesday night.

That's correct, but it was going to be tonight originally because the NRL offered that to us to give maximum prep time. Ghabar wasn't available tonight so the elected for tomorrow night.

Everytime I read that lawyer's name, I think of Electric Six.

Man I hope Roberts gets off now. Can you imagine the wailing from the media if he scores a brilliant solo try on Friday night to win the game!

Cmon Jimmy! Tell them you thought from the way he was lying in the ruck that he might be dead so you nudged him with your foot to see if he was breathing.

Seriously though I do think he has a reasonable chance of beating this. It looked to me like a clumsy attempt to milk a penalty rather than a malicious or dangerous act. It deserved a penalty at the time but not a week off. If trying to milk a penalty is contrary conduct then the judiciary is going to get a lot busier. The judiciary has also shown that they are not afraid to take a different view of incidents to the MRC.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.