Round 1 2014

I think BHQ underestimates the difficulty of playing 6 in a SUCCESSFUL NRL team. Here's how I see there respective developments

........................................................Taylor/Strasser.....................Nikorima
High school/JRLFC 6 or 7 >>>>>>> U20s 6 or 7 >>>>>>>>>>>> QCUP 6 or 7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NRL 6 or 7

..........................................................................................................Barba .....................Milford
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>U20s 6 or 7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NRL1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NRL 6 or 7

EDIT: Dam formatting

Last edited:
If we managed to ditch Thaiday and replacement him with Oates that would be great. With Griffin's record of bench utilisation I think we are in for some serious problems next year. By the way can we please get an aussie dictionary installed on these forums? My spelling isn't great the best of times and when it underlines correct spelling it really puts me off :)
BHQ doesn't have spelling check. Chances are you're using a browser which defaults to "American English", and you need to install the Aussie dictionary. Let me know if you need any help with that... :thumbup1:

To my fellow posters above:

1. I reckon we need at least 2 props on the bench and 1 back rower who can play up the middle

2. I prefer 3 props on the bench

For mine, we got rolled constantly up the middle, dominated by the opposition's big men to which ours had little answer. That needs to be fixed, which IMO, having 2 back rowers on the bench is shooting ourselves in the foot

Even if our sloppy defence: technique/application/stamina/fitness improves, and Hook's bench rotation improves dramatically, we still need big, fit and hard men in the middle

3. Assuming we don't get Milford in 2014 which is how I see it, I cannot see the reasons for the reluctance to give our young halves, like Taylor or Strasser game time in the other half spot next to/other side of, Hunt.

Obviously, if in the off season and the trials they fail miserably, then maybe try someone else, as long as it's not a Hook "special" = a back rower

And I still maintain we play Oates if not on the wing, then in the centres until Hodges returns, and then decide on form if he or Reed go to wing, or Left Right Out

What puzzles me are the posters who wish to see Oates in the back row starting next season. I cannot understand putting a 19 year old who is blessed with some speed and agility in a position where the bulk of the work is carting the ball. For me it would be better to have him out wider and staying on the field for the whole game. I believe he is another scoring option and we seem to have plenty of others to do the grunt work.

Oates will certainly still be filling out more but till then he has to be given room to move.

All your points are good ones and completely valid, but can we still find a way to get rid of Thaiday? :)

BHQ doesn't have spelling check. Chances are you're using a browser which defaults to "American English", and you need to install the Aussie dictionary. Let me know if you need any help with that... :thumbup1:

I believe you are correct, I just assumed it was the forums as I have english (au) selected on browser.

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Oates
5. Copley/Kahu
6. Taylor/Strasser/Milford
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. Macca
10. Kennedy
11. Thaiday (c)
12. Gillett
13. Parker (c)

14. Granville
15. McGuire
16. Glenn
17. Stagg/Dodds/Tasi/Hala

Yes? No?

I think my very oirginal team I put together a few weeks ago for next season had Oates at Centre. I'd HATE for us to stifle his momentum next season by dropping him to Q-Cup or using him off the bench as a Second Rower. He is a genuine prospect. One which we should continue to develop at the highest level. He could be anything...

Yeah I like everything except for stagg , he has been good for us and has done his job but we already have to many back rowers as is . time to go to the q cup and if needed (major injury concerns) then fine , and we should never put him in the front row again !!!

All your points are good ones and completely valid, but can we still find a way to get rid of Thaiday? :)

Thanks for the endorsement ! Can I just say, check out my team for next year. I have Thaiday on notice off the bench. If no performance then thanks for your time Sammy.

I really hope this is what happens. I would love for him to get back to that form he had a couple of years ago, but I honestly think that he only did that because Locky was leaving. Now that Lockyer has left he has no motivation and has gone back to his lazy ways. I really do think he's just lazy.

Thanks for the endorsement ! Can I just say, check out my team for next year. I have Thaiday on notice off the bench. If no performance then thanks for your time Sammy.

Your not alone there mate, for me his been under performing for too long regardless where his played since Lockyer's retirement and unless we see some real improvement from him next season questions have to be raised.

Your not alone there mate, for me his been under performing for too long regardless where his played since Lockyer's retirement and unless we see some real improvement from him next season questions have to be raised.

I have this feeling that Sammy knows this loud and clear, and next year we will see the light of a new Thaiday

We'll see Sammy play well next time his contract comes up

New fitness coach might get him off he donuts. That will be a help

Can you imagine what he will be like when he's finished football. He will end up like those other fat lazy pigs that eat too much after retiring. The one that gets me is big Mal, he's huge but toight like a tiger. Still keeping it together reasonably well big man!

I have this feeling that Sammy knows this loud and clear, and next year we will see the light of a new Thaiday

Doubtful, its Griffin's head on the block not Sammy's, Sammy has far more chance of remaining captain regardless of his own form or the team's effort then Griffin does remaining as coach.

I doubt Thaiday cares even if he does know, he'll always be handed rep jerseys regardless of how far he falls or if there are better players around.

Thaiday's patches of good form in Origin will no doubt get him another rep jersey.

Just imagine what he could do if he passed the pinch test. It's sad really. Such a waste of raw talent

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • Skathen
  • Brocko
  • Broncorob
  • Waynesaurus
  • mrslong
  • Xzei
  • pennywisealfie
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • lynx000
  • Bish
  • Dash
  • Spooky1013
  • phoenix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • Sproj
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.