Round 10 - Broncos vs Titans - Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hodges has been having continual pain in the achilles area they say.

if it's only pain...and not a fresh injury...then he should play.

Be honest, everyone was waiting for it to happen. It was only a matter of time.

If he isn't struggling for medical reasons, that's the last thing you want to do. He needs game rhythm to get back to his best...

The whole team has been struggling the last few weeks because our forward pack has literally been trampled by the opposition. Even blind freddy (Hook) can see that, which is why he's playing dancing chairs with his props.

We need to return to the game plan which works best for this side, the one which has almost won us every game against all comers: quick play the balls, quick service out of dummy half, forwards passing, Hunt and Barba on either side of the ruck setting up the edges.

A game plan based on quick, mobile forwards, Hunt and Barba with time and space because of the momentum, and, with the missing elements restored: defend the middle like men possessed and no 7 tackle freebies.

For mine, if we execute this as we have shown we can, we can beat any side. Any side.

ash harrison is out due to concussion
also no bird

their team looks pretty weak to be honest.

if we dont win this week we are a shambles.

We need to return to the game plan which works best for this side, the one which has almost won us every game against all comers: quick play the balls, quick service out of dummy half, forwards passing, Hunt and Barba on either side of the ruck setting up the edges.

A game plan based on quick, mobile forwards, Hunt and Barba with time and space because of the momentum, and, with the missing elements restored: defend the middle like men possessed and no 7 tackle freebies.

For mine, if we execute this as we have shown we can, we can beat any side. Any side.

You believe we can beat sides such as Manly and Storm?

I would argue that even if we do win we are a shambles.

Last edited:
we'll probably score more tries but lose from goal kicking. shambles

I immediately regret re-signing Hodges for 2 more seasons

Is Melbourne starting to fade?

Ben Cummins as the main ref. Should be interesting.

We have an overall 69.73% win record with him, and a 68.75% win record at home, winning 11 from 16.

Penalty count is not as good, winning 56.25% of the penalty counts, winning 9 from 16. However, we have never lost a game or a penalty count against the Titans at home.

I should also note, we had Ben Cummins as ref in Round 2 against the Cowboys. Despite losing the penalty count heavily, we still won.

Ben Cummins as the main ref. Should be interesting.

We have an overall 69.73% win record with him, and a 68.75% win record at home, winning 11 from 16.

Penalty count is not as good, winning 56.25% of the penalty counts, winning 9 from 16. However, we have never lost a game or a penalty count against the Titans at home.

I should also note, we had Ben Cummins as ref in Round 2 against the Cowboys. Despite losing the penalty count heavily, we still won.

Thanks as always middo :)

You believe we can beat sides such as Manly and Storm?

Absolutely. Just look at our record - only lost by a few more or less except for the Cowboys game - 13, and to the Eels by 7.

I honestly rate our side as good as any - even with Hoffman (provided Barba does his stuff as 2nd play maker, we hold the middle defensively, and we play fast and mobile)

Absolutely. Just look at our record - only lost by a few more or less except for the Cowboys game - 13, and to the Eels by 7.

I honestly rate our side as good as any - even with Hoffman (provided Barba does his stuff as 2nd play maker, we hold the middle defensively, and we play fast and mobile)

I agree with this sentiment to some extent. If we play to our strengths, we are competitive against even the top teams.

However, the problem is, as you say, holding the middle. Against teams who have both power and speed through the ruck, we are always going to struggle to contain them.

For that reason alone, I'd say our chances are reasonable against the Storm, though their adherence to structure and big game experience in key positions cannot be understated. I expect the Roosters and Souths are going to trouble us due to having a superior mix of power and mobility (we can match them for the latter, but they simply have more grunt to supplement it). Similarly, Manly, although their pack lacks athleticism, they play with fervour, urgency and grit to make up for it.

I'd expect us to challenge any of these teams, but will not tip us against them.

barba will have a big game this week i reckon. best of the season, calling it now.

I agree. He was not only looking sharp last week, but making an effort to inject himself.

Also, there are some real weaknesses in this week's Titans team that he'll exploit:

* Their back-row is shot. With Bird & Harrison out, unless they move Myles back to cover, then Taylor will likely be their only decent player in the #11-13. If Taylor plays big minutes he'll be compromised in terms of stamina, and his lateral defence will be tested. They might also put Ryan James in the back row, and even though he's big & aggressive and will be just asking for Barba to cut them through the middle.

* The Titans' centres would be up there with the worst in the NRL. One is a re-shuffled fullback, and the other is a part-time back-rower. We saw last week that Barba's target was between the second rower (or half) and the centre. This, coupled with the above, really plays in to Barba's hands. Hodges has been ordinary the last few games (which is hard to say), except those couple of cut-out passes (where he was arguably positioned not at centre anyway) but I suspect he will team up well with Barba this week and cause some headaches.

If we don't win this weekend, Griffen has to be sacked. They titans have some pretty key injuries and theoretically we should be able to stamp a good score on them. Oh what I would give for them to play a couple of our players into form mainly barba, glenn, hodges and reed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Stix
  • Sproj
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Brocko
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • theshed
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • winslow_wong
  • ezpz
  • Allo
  • The True King
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • mrslong
  • Aldo
  • BruiserMk1
  • Skyblues87
  • Cavalo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.