Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

For years all the same people from down south complained about Nate Myles doing exactly the same thing in origin. Difference is he was doing it to Blues players. He was doing it on purpose too. Where do you reckon Napa got it from? Who was the senior forward at Roosters when Napa first went there?

That try from Issako shows what foot work and acceleration he does posses. That’s what I saw from him in Qcup and on the wing he can’t provide that. Straight swap for Boyd would be great but it won’t happen.

It's pretty ridiculous that Napa doesn't have a couple weeks off. It's the defenders responsibility to not hit the ball carriers head, be it with the shoulder, arm, head, leg or any part of their body. I thought the rules were pretty clear on that.

Offa played 78 minutes in the middle...what an effort. Sounds like we will that this week too with Sims out. Anyone else think we will go with Carrigan if McGuire is still out?

I agree with the experts - Napa didn't intentionally lead with the head. He wasn't looking to hit Sims high, it was just the sort of unfortunate outcome that happens with contact sport.

However, it doesn't need to be deliberate to warrant a suspension. Careless, reckless, intentional. It's the tackler's responsibility to not hit the runner high, regardless of "changes of direction" etc. I would say it's worse than careless - he was going for a big shot. Reckless for mine. Whatever that works out to be on the sidelines I don't know, but the no-charge knee-jerk by the NRL is just gutless.

Mago played alright. He only had one hitup but made 11 tackles. A few strong confronting tackles in that stint too. Most of the 14 minutes he was on for was defence.

33020952_1720127071410555_5010969976677335040_n.jpg

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/05/20/stop-hysteria-gerry-sutton-absolutely-right-bin-napa/

While Dylan Napa has not been charged for his head clash with Korbin Sims by the MRC, that does not mean referee Gerard Sutton was wrong to send the big Rooster to the sin bin.
Regardless of the outrage, I completely agree with Sutton’s actions and think he needs the referees boss – his brother Bernard – to come out and stand by Gerard’s decision lest the berserk hysterics trash his reputation.
The explosion on social media when Sutton sin binned the Roosters prop Dylan Napa in the 75th minute of the match against the Broncos measured 7.2 on the Richter Scale.
The epicenter was found to be Bondi Junction, with the force being so big that many tin foil hats were dislodged.
Gorden Tallis went berserk. The Channel Nine commentary team called it ludicrous and went off like cut snakes. And Roosters fans went off their chops.
How could Gerard Sutton have possibly even have penalised Napa for an accidental head clash, let alone put him on report? But to sin bin him as well?
Outrageous! It’s a fix! A conspiracy!
What a load of steaming rubbish.
The incident proved one thing for mine: Gerard Sutton is a superb referee. He absolutely nailed the handling of the incident.
These are the undisputed facts:
1. Napa clearly lined up Korbin Sims with the intention of putting a very big hit on him.
2. In doing so his head made severe contact to the head of Sims, taking The Gerringong lad out of the game.
The replays showed that Napa had his arms well out from his sides and that his head was well in front of his body and arms, but facing down and not looking at his target.
As we know from previous examples – like Richard Villasante’s hit on Brad Fittler in the 2002 Grand final, or the James Graham hit on Sam Burgess in the 2013 Grand Final – it is virtually impossible to prove that a head clash was intentional.
However, that doesn’t mean they can’t be deemed reckless or careless actions that hit a player high and that had a great Impact.
And that is exactly how Gerard Sutton, with advice from video referee Ash Klein, saw it.
He put the incident on report and, as made clear is an option in the NRL’s player misconduct rules, sin binned Napa.
I’ve sung Gerard Sutton’s courage to unblinkingly wield his authority in high pressure situations before. This is yet another example of why he is one of the NRL’s best officials.
His decision was completely understandable and reasonable.
While all the usual suspects in the media were screaming that it was a howler, there were many of us who totally agreed with it.
In spite of having the Roosters to win 1-12 to win my three leg margin multi, I was one of them.
That the Match Review Committee has subsequently decided to exonerate Napa does not mean that Sutton got it wrong either. He has a process to follow and an obligation to officiate the game as he sees it.
The MRC members – whomever they might be – make their decisions away from the heat of the contest, with lots of time for multiple replays.
That Sutton has the courage to make such calls in spite of all of the muck that could be – and subsequently has been – heaped on him speaks volumes for his high suitability for the role.
Further, as I pointed out in the wake of the Round 7 clash between the Rabbitohs and the Raiders, it is great that the refs are using the sin bin again, but we can’t allow an in-game situation where professional fouls are treated more harshly than careless or reckless incidents that injure players.
The referees have got that memo and Sutton’s binning of Napa recognised that logic.
But the bottom line of the incident is this: Napa was at least careless in his attempt to tackle and a severe head clash resulted, removing that player from the contest. A view supported by the more rational people in the Rugby League media.

Sutton was more than entitled to penalise the incident, place it on report and sin bin the big Rooster.
And the Roosters fans putting the loss down to that incident need to again heed Fox Sports Warren Smith.

Good on ya Gerard. You nailed it.

Offa played 78 minutes in the middle...what an effort. Sounds like we will that this week too with Sims out. Anyone else think we will go with Carrigan if McGuire is still out?

I think fai may come in. Yeaterday for souths was his best game of the year.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/05/20/stop-hysteria-gerry-sutton-absolutely-right-bin-napa/

While Dylan Napa has not been charged for his head clash with Korbin Sims by the MRC, that does not mean referee Gerard Sutton was wrong to send the big Rooster to the sin bin.
Regardless of the outrage, I completely agree with Sutton’s actions and think he needs the referees boss – his brother Bernard – to come out and stand by Gerard’s decision lest the berserk hysterics trash his reputation.
The explosion on social media when Sutton sin binned the Roosters prop Dylan Napa in the 75th minute of the match against the Broncos measured 7.2 on the Richter Scale.
The epicenter was found to be Bondi Junction, with the force being so big that many tin foil hats were dislodged.
Gorden Tallis went berserk. The Channel Nine commentary team called it ludicrous and went off like cut snakes. And Roosters fans went off their chops.
How could Gerard Sutton have possibly even have penalised Napa for an accidental head clash, let alone put him on report? But to sin bin him as well?
Outrageous! It’s a fix! A conspiracy!
What a load of steaming rubbish.
The incident proved one thing for mine: Gerard Sutton is a superb referee. He absolutely nailed the handling of the incident.
These are the undisputed facts:
1. Napa clearly lined up Korbin Sims with the intention of putting a very big hit on him.
2. In doing so his head made severe contact to the head of Sims, taking The Gerringong lad out of the game.
The replays showed that Napa had his arms well out from his sides and that his head was well in front of his body and arms, but facing down and not looking at his target.
As we know from previous examples – like Richard Villasante’s hit on Brad Fittler in the 2002 Grand final, or the James Graham hit on Sam Burgess in the 2013 Grand Final – it is virtually impossible to prove that a head clash was intentional.
However, that doesn’t mean they can’t be deemed reckless or careless actions that hit a player high and that had a great Impact.
And that is exactly how Gerard Sutton, with advice from video referee Ash Klein, saw it.
He put the incident on report and, as made clear is an option in the NRL’s player misconduct rules, sin binned Napa.
I’ve sung Gerard Sutton’s courage to unblinkingly wield his authority in high pressure situations before. This is yet another example of why he is one of the NRL’s best officials.
His decision was completely understandable and reasonable.
While all the usual suspects in the media were screaming that it was a howler, there were many of us who totally agreed with it.
In spite of having the Roosters to win 1-12 to win my three leg margin multi, I was one of them.
That the Match Review Committee has subsequently decided to exonerate Napa does not mean that Sutton got it wrong either. He has a process to follow and an obligation to officiate the game as he sees it.
The MRC members – whomever they might be – make their decisions away from the heat of the contest, with lots of time for multiple replays.
That Sutton has the courage to make such calls in spite of all of the muck that could be – and subsequently has been – heaped on him speaks volumes for his high suitability for the role.
Further, as I pointed out in the wake of the Round 7 clash between the Rabbitohs and the Raiders, it is great that the refs are using the sin bin again, but we can’t allow an in-game situation where professional fouls are treated more harshly than careless or reckless incidents that injure players.
The referees have got that memo and Sutton’s binning of Napa recognised that logic.
But the bottom line of the incident is this: Napa was at least careless in his attempt to tackle and a severe head clash resulted, removing that player from the contest. A view supported by the more rational people in the Rugby League media.

Sutton was more than entitled to penalise the incident, place it on report and sin bin the big Rooster.
And the Roosters fans putting the loss down to that incident need to again heed Fox Sports Warren Smith.

Good on ya Gerard. You nailed it.

Credit to the author of this and credit to Warren Smith, quality tweets which will probably go over the heads of guys like Tallis and Rothfield.

It's pretty ridiculous that Napa doesn't have a couple weeks off. It's the defenders responsibility to not hit the ball carriers head, be it with the shoulder, arm, head, leg or any part of their body. I thought the rules were pretty clear on that.

Politisly clear.

Lol @ all the wankers giving it to Warren Smith for that tweet. The truth hurts, haters. Suck it up.

The funny thing for mine is, all the people blaming it on Sims stepping aren't taking into account that if he doesn't, in all likelihood he cops a shoulder to the head instead. Napa would then be looking at some serious time on the side lines. I'm sure in that instance though, Sims would be criticised for not stepping and getting out of the way. Probably charged with reckless running or some shit.

Whatever that works out to be on the sidelines I don't know, but the no-charge knee-jerk by the NRL is just gutless.

Yes but if the NRL suspend Napa, the coach needs to be fined for his comments (should be anyway) but we can't have that happening to the Roosters, they're nice guys and stuff.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • Matheos
  • TimWhatley
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.