[Round 16, 2021] Broncos vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.
winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I have a real fear that this all ends in Paul Green being coach.
How can they possibly appoint green after Qld got flogged 76-6 with a game to go under his watch.

surely not.....

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
How can they possibly appoint green after Qld got flogged 76-6 with a game to go under his watch.

surely not.....

Ikin would certainly have his work cut out to convince the board to hire Green right now

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Xavier Coates
6. Brodie Croft
7. Tyson Gamble

Looks like this is going to be the backline.

B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
This will be the team:

1. Niu
2. Cobbo
3. Minto
4. Michaels
5. Maranta
6. Kelly
7. Perry
8. Dodds
9. Turpin (c)
10. Csizlowski
11. Glenn
12. Meyers
13. Asiata

14. Walters
15. Robati
16. Flegler
17. Manihera

But seriously, how good is it NOT to have a game for over two weeks!

What no Dane Carlaw or Stuart Kelly?

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Ikin would certainly have his work cut out to convince the board to hire Green right now
Couldn’t agree more. However Kevin’s in the same boat with convincing the board for an extension. He badly needs to get some runs on the board. David told him he will surround him with all the resources he needs (to succeed). But that’s a double edged sword, what if he doesn’t - clever.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Couldn’t agree more. However Kevin’s in the same boat with convincing the board for an extension. He badly needs to get some runs on the board. David told him he will surround him with all the resources he needs (to succeed). But that’s a double edged sword, what if he doesn’t - clever.

Kev has the advantage of being the incumbent. and the fact that he has been working with the reigning wooden spoon team put together by his predecessors.

normally, i would say the 3rd year of a coaches tenure is the money year. but with a big roster shake-up in progress, Kev's money year might be his second in charge. while i don't think he'll need to necessarily make the 8 to get an extention, he'll need to show some significant improvements (to start with the regular large loosing margins need to stop)

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Xavier Coates
6. Brodie Croft
7. Tyson Gamble

That’s probably the best 1-5 we’ve ran out all year. It’s at least first grade standard.

If Kelly is fit enough to make his way into the halves for either than it may be the best team we’ve fielded all year. There’s no way that back 5 shouldn’t be a mid table team - especially if our forwards are at full strength.

i can’t look at our full strength line up and justify how low on the ladder we are. The halves are terrible but you should be able to make 8-10th even with shit halves. It’s crazy how bad the team got under Seibold and how little improvement they’ve made since.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
start with the regular large loosing margins need to stop
Yes. That’s the bit I'm talking about. Not talking top 8 at this stage, just want to see some improvement - particularly in some consistent selection and bench use as well as the 30 or 40 point thrashings being put to bed. Don't think that’s too much to ask from a Bronco head coach.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
That’s probably the best 1-5 we’ve ran out all year. It’s at least first grade standard.

If Kelly is fit enough to make his way into the halves for either than it may be the best team we’ve fielded all year. There’s no way that back 5 shouldn’t be a mid table team - especially if our forwards are at full strength.

i can’t look at our full strength line up and justify how low on the ladder we are. The halves are terrible but you should be able to make 8-10th even with shit halves. It’s crazy how bad the team got under Seibold and how little improvement they’ve made since.

I just hope if this is the backline we're going with, Kevvie sticks with it for at least a month and re-asses then.

We can't keep chopping and changing and hoping for results to change, because it's just not going to work that way.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Xavier Coates
6. Brodie Croft
7. Tyson Gamble

So Isaako was back at fullback in the training run??

Didn't think Niu was going all that bad.

Would hope Isaako is right to go mentally... he is usually horrendous when his head isn't right

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, I think Niu should have a decent run at fullback. Jamayne has burned us there enough times.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
So Isaako was back at fullback in the training run??

Didn't think Niu was going all that bad.

Would hope Isaako is right to go mentally... he is usually horrendous when his head isn't right

Training on the wing because Coates can’t train with the side for 48 hours due to the COVID guidelines.

I thought I read he would go to fullback but it looks like I misread it and it’s actually going to be Niu that’s at fullback.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I just hope if this is the backline we're going with, Kevvie sticks with it for at least a month and re-asses then.

We can't keep chopping and changing and hoping for results to change, because it's just not going to work that way.

I suspect you are going to continue to be disappointed unless Ikin or Donuts takes over the game day teams. Kevvie will keep chopping and changing because he has no discernible plan that he comes on going on about having though.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Ikin is the head of the football department. The football department which is on track for it's 2nd wooden spoon in a row. He should absolutely be able to make these kinds of calls and it's a good start.

No way Ikin has walked in there day one and started picking the team. I don't know any head of football that picks any team.

You might talk to the coach about possibilities because normally the coach and head have a good relationship- in the Broncos case what's it mean if we drop Isaako, well he will have to go to PNG on Saturday- what the long term effect of that? Your head might talk to the Souths coach and find out what their plan would be.

Your Head also has a good relationship with players too, he signed them in a lot cases when they are young, knows their parents so your head might offer advice there.

But day one none of that is relevant.

Ikin's job is to give Kevvie everything he needs so he can pick the team with no other outside problems- list you want, staff you want, players you want and maybe some advice.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Training on the wing because Coates can’t train with the side for 48 hours due to the COVID guidelines.

I thought I read he would go to fullback but it looks like I misread it and it’s actually going to be Niu that’s at fullback.
What a fucking relief.

Niu is certainly no worldbeater, but at least he isn’t mentally cooked like Isaako.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Hope we see some groundwork laid for next year.

If we are going with Staggs at 6 then let's start getting him used to it now - with someone who can cover both hooker / half off the bench as insurance since he's unfit / coming off an injury.

If Niu is the best prospect at fullback and there's nobody on the market then let's give him the rest of the year to get accustomed. We've seen what Isaako can offer - now let's see if Niu can eclipse that.

I personally would like to see Oates back in the side. He's been good in his very limited opportunities this year and I'd prefer to see us giving him every chance to recapture his old form and succeed than languish in ISC while he's still under contract. It seems clear that it's important to Oates that he's back in first grade and we're a much better team with an in-form Oates on the wing. Give him his redemption in place of Coates (who is simply not first grade standard).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Alec
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Spooky1013
  • Galah
  • winslow_wong
  • broncs30
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.