Round 18 - Broncos vs. Sharks - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Also, Hook today was saying that he's not about to go chopping and changing the halves just because we couldn't score points:

Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Griffin backs halves pairing | News.com.au

"Obviously we came up short (against the Storm), but I'm not going to start pointing fingers or chopping and changing. We need to dust ourselves off and pick ourselves up"

Which I agree with in relation to the halves - they created more than enough opportunities to match the Storm try-for-try. But I hope that it's not a similar story with Maranta. We seriously need a finisher with speed & the ability to get the ball down.

I have never been on the anti-Griffin bandwagon and I really don't want to buy a ticket now. But if Maranta does get a call-up this week, even though we're missing the rep players and need as much experience as we can get, I will seriously have to reconsider.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Hopefully Kahu is back. If only to send a message to Jack Reed that his position is not safe in the team when he returns.

I don't see what your problem with Reeds is ... he may not be a superstar center, but he is solid dependable and has worked up a great combination with Hoffman down the left side. If Reed didn't get injured, Maranta would be the one punted as soon as Hodges cane back

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
1 - Corey Norman
2 - Lachlan Maranta
3 - Corey Oates
4 - Josh Hoffman
5 - Jordan Kahu
6 - Scott Prince
7 - Ben Hunt
8 - Ben Hannant
9 - Peter Wallace
10 - Josh McGuire
11 - Alex Glenn
12 - Andrew McCullough
13 - Mitchell Dodds

14 - Kurt Baptiste
15 - David Stagg
16 - David Hala
17 - Lama Tasi

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'd still play Glenn in the centres

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
Oates and Kahu look like being the centres.

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
I don't see what your problem with Reeds is ... he may not be a superstar center, but he is solid dependable and has worked up a great combination with Hoffman down the left side. If Reed didn't get injured, Maranta would be the one punted as soon as Hodges cane back

Hodges should be the only player with a guaranteed spot in the backline. Six spots up for grab next year.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Carney not being chosen for Origin is our biggest concern. Losing Fifita & Lewis (and Gallen technically) will be a big help though. Their outside backs are just as woeful as ours though if Gordon & Ryan are missing again. I'm actually going to tip the Broncos this week, genuinely believe we can win it.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
1 - Corey Norman
2 - Lachlan Maranta
3 - Corey Oates
4 - Josh Hoffman
5 - Jordan Kahu
6 - Scott Prince
7 - Ben Hunt
8 - Ben Hannant
9 - Peter Wallace
10 - Josh McGuire
11 - Alex Glenn
12 - Andrew McCullough
13 - Mitchell Dodds

14 - Kurt Baptiste
15 - David Stagg
16 - David Hala
17 - Lama Tasi

Even Griffin is not stupid enough to make the same mistake of putting McCullough in the back row again. He was absolutely dominated there. If he had a full off-season there and put on 10kg he could cut it because in terms of tackling technique he's pretty good. But doesn't currently have the size or aggression to hold his own, let alone have any sort of running game.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I was impressed more than less with Oates in the centres and with Reed out for at least a month, I think it is good sense to keep him there.

As for Hoffman, given I can't see Norman being dropped, I'd prefer him to stay on the wing and move Glenn into the centres. I'm uneasy with 2 rookie centres, although I concede Hoffman would most likely do well and is quicker than Glenn. Yet, I still think his undoubted abilities to finish make me want him to stay out there.

Don't know why Stagg is in a team. Isn't he out for a while yet?

I can't see any changes to Wallace, Prince, Macca and Hunt happening, and I see Maranta there as there seems no one else able to step up.

This game is very winnable but only if Hannant plays. For mine, if he doesn't, our chances drop a lot. A real lot IMO. He is our best go to man, and seems to start the passing interchanges amongst the forwards, which is a great play

Last edited:
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
my 17

1 norman (only cos we are short
2 hoffman
3 oates
4 glenn
5 kahu
6 prince
7 wallace
8 hannant
9 macca
10 dodds
11 slyney
12 stagg (fit?)
13 mcguire

14 hunt
15 hala
16 tasi
17 oates

dont like the halves but hard to change them this round. id probably punt prince first. hunt in the hlaves for the rest of the season to look to the future.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
my 17

3 oates

17 oates

dont like the halves but hard to change them this round. id probably punt prince first. hunt in the hlaves for the rest of the season to look to the future.

Is his twin as good?

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
lol i wondered why i had so many players.

yeah 17 should be lui/jawallace/any other dud.

don really want someone small like kahu defending in the centres if he's got prince/maranta either side of him. so yeah oates/glenn centres for me to add some strength. not sure where we find any poins from tho

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Stix
  • Bish
  • Swordfish
  • Allo
  • Seibs
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • LittleDavey
  • mieko
  • MrMoore
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.