Round 21 - Broncos vs Sea Eagles - Pre-Match Discussion

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
McGuire is not a second rower who can play on the fringes. I just don't understand why people think he can play that role. It just won't work.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
McGuire is not a second rower who can play on the fringes. I just don't understand why people think he can play that role. It just won't work.

He has played in the second row for us before, quite a few times. He did a good job. Why can't he play there?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Can someone please explain to me this obsession with getting moose into the backrow?

Yes he is shorter than the average prop but in spite of that is one of the better props getting around and hasnt played in the backrow since the u20s

He is our best prop and we are desperately short on them, yet we haves way too many backrowers, and people want to move one of our props into the congestion? I don't get it

If we are basing the switch on his build, then half our fucking team should be in the backrow

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
He has played in the second row for us before, quite a few times. He did a good job. Why can't he play there?

you mean lock which really isn't the type of backrower people want Moose to be playing as.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Tbh those few times I thought he did an ok job and I didn't think he played on the edge. If my memory is correct I thought he played lock, and played much like he does at prop.

Besides all that why would we want to take our best prop out of a position we are already short in, to stick him in the log jam of the backrow?

I'm sorry but I just don't get it.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
you mean lock which really isn't the type of backrower people want Moose to be playing as.

I mean backrow, he played on the left edge.

He played on the left edge, lock and front row under Henjak.

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Tbh those few times I thought he did an ok job and I didn't think he played on the edge. If my memory is correct I thought he played lock, and played much like he does at prop.

Besides all that why would we want to take our best prop out of a position we are already short in, to stick him in the log jam of the backrow?

I'm sorry but I just don't get it.

He did play on the edge a few times, then shifted back in the middle once a new player was brought on.

I don't think he should. I'm just saying he has played on the edge before.

I don't think he ever should play there. I would prefer to have someone there that could play the same role Taylor did.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
1. Hoffman
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges (c)
5. Kahu
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker (c)

14. Granville
15. Thaiday
16. Kennedy
17. Oates

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
He did play on the edge a few times, then shifted back in the middle once a new player was brought on.

I don't think he should. I'm just saying he has played on the edge before.

I don't think he ever should play there. I would prefer to have someone there that could play the same role Taylor did.
Well 10 minutes here and there is nothing.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
1. Hoffman
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges (c)
5. Kahu
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker (c)

14. Granville
15. Thaiday
16. Kennedy
17. Oates

I'm sold on that. Except maybe dump Granville and give Hala 15 minutes.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
I'd like to see Granville in the squad for the rest of the season actually.

He provides so much energy when he's out there...which is something we really need.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I'd like to see Granville in the squad for the rest of the season actually.

He provides so much energy when he's out there...which is something we really need.

I'd like to see our missed tackle count when he's on. Not just necessarily his, but from those around him. If we have the ball, he's a great addition to our attack. I'm just concerned that when defending his presence allows the opposition to get on the front foot, fast play the balls, gaps appear as other defenders have to move in tighter to compensate etc.

This year, in stark contrast to 2012 & 2013, we haven't had a problem scoring points. We've had a problem preventing them being scored on us. Especially at critical moments.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I'd like to see our missed tackle count when he's on. Not just necessarily his, but from those around him. If we have the ball, he's a great addition to our attack. I'm just concerned that when defending his presence allows the opposition to get on the front foot, fast play the balls, gaps appear as other defenders have to move in tighter to compensate etc.

This year, in stark contrast to 2012 & 2013, we haven't had a problem scoring points. We've had a problem preventing them being scored on us. Especially at critical moments.

I have actually been impressed with his defense for us. As someone who has watched him pretty often for Wynnum over the last few years he has definitely improved a lot. And to be honest, the opposition has been on the front foot all year because our defensive line doesn't move up at all.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
1. Hoffman
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges (c)
5. Kahu
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker (c)

14. Granville
15. Thaiday
16. Kennedy
17. Oates
I approve that line-up, for now... but I wouldn't mind to see us move into a 11. Gillett, 12. Oates into the future, with Glenn as the utility from the bench.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

It's the opposite, we've been conceding quick early tries before he comes on, then getting on top once he comes on.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Griffin better pick the side I want or else.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the team selection. I think it will give a good indication about what to expect for the end of the season.

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
This is the side.

1. Hoffman
2. Kahu
3. Copley/Reed
4. Hodges
5. Maranta/Copley
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Thaiday

14. Reed/Granville
15. Oates
16. Lowrie
17. Hannant

Unread

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Strop
  • Organix
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Allo
  • Bronx48
  • lynx000
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • Alec
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • broncs30
  • Manofoneway
  • Harry Sack
... and 32 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.