PRE-GAME Round 22 - Broncos vs Panthers

State of Origin Rep
Obviously a damaging runner. Anyone know what his defence is like?
This has been my take all year as early as Saturday night's game to February.

You can see how close or far away he is now, at the start of the year he didn't understand the basics of league, everything took him that split second of thinking was a game earlier in the season where he went to marker and clearly didn't understand the role.

He's got that under control now and he's got league smarter in attack he but certainly not in defence.

Last night was a classic example, run for miles score chip and chase try but defend a three on three- no he comes in and goes out and just gets done too often. He averages too many missed tackles and very bad reads in defence. Needs to refine that part of his game.
Jesse Arthars v Perese today, I thought Arthars had the best of him the try that got the Bears back to 14-14 was Perese coming in for no reason and he got injured doing it but then scores a great try stepping back inside at inside shoulders and scores the winner for Dolphins.

Still that completely un-needed movement in defence.
He’s similar to Perese a month ago bit lost but speed and strength get him home.
I thought Perese had his best game against the Hunters. Impressive running at the gap for his try. No way he scores that 10 weeks ago.

He still breaks tackles like no man's business but now he is becoming league smart and getting more involved and set up a nice try with a freaky pass and again more game aware.
Had his best game last week. Great tackle and try.

Other than that massive teething problems. Does things like doesn’t know his role from marker or touched the ball before 10m.

Even in general play- runs if you give him the ball and beats men but can’t deviate off that set task because he doesn’t have the league knowledge. Really one dimensional still.
That tackle is the big play indicator- first time I have seen him time and read a situation. I commented earlier this year he just looked lost and a bit unsure- he was taking that second to react that players that have done something a while don't need.

He didn't know how to chase from marker and touched a kick off things like that.

That tackle shows improvement in reacting and understanding.
I watched Redcliffe v Souths.

I thought while Perese tries hard and wants to run the ball, he is lacking in any sort of anticipation and won't show any variance from his area. His game awareness needs massive work.

Niu on debut I thought was ok, he will have to keep working on using other players, still has that I will just run mentality of MM. A combination of MSL and Port could be dangerous for the Magpies.

Magpies were super disappointing to lose, should never have even been in that position.
I haven't changed my opinion from February, he's certainly not lost anymore in attack or different roles but his defence is a worry, he can tackle but it's just awareness for what this situation needs that has proven hard to solve.

Residents was his best defence, which I was surprised by because I wasn't too sure he deserved to be there but he was great. He was with Broadhurst though who is a great defender and communicator.

Been fun watching him, he's entertaining.

Last edited:

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
Perese worries me more than a little defensively, as 1910 said, he lacks awareness. The rest of his game has come on a fair bit now for Reddy, but I haven't seen his defence improve anywhere near as much as the rest of his game

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
With these things considered, even though I’ve been down on Shiba can we really afford to have such a defensive liability debuting in what’s effectively a must win match?

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
I don't see the point in blooding Perese off the bench. Even if he came in for Segeyaro as the utility, the move makes little sense in a contest that is so vital for the Broncos season. Either he comes in for Shibasaki or he doesn't play, it's that simple.

If this move does take place, it would just be another half measure by the coach. With a squad that is going through a transition, I don't think they can afford this kind of weak leadership.

Last edited:

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris

Broncos may blood tackle busting freak Izaia Perese against Panthers

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
an hour ago

Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold is considering blooding another rookie with former Queensland Reds young gun Izaia Perese in the frame to make his Broncos debut against Penrith this Friday night. Seibold will finalise his 17-man squad on Thursday at the captain’s run with Perese and towering forward Rhys Kennedy vying for the final spot on Brisbane’s bench for the crucial top-eight showdown at Suncorp Stadium. NRL convert Perese trained with the top squad on Wednesday, interchanging at left centre with Gehamat Shibasaki in a sign Seibold is seriously weighing up the prospect of blooding the 22-year-old.

Izaia Perese has starred with the Redcliffe Dolphins this season. Picture: Regi Varghese

Izaia Perese has starred with the Redcliffe Dolphins this season. Picture: Regi Varghese

The Courier-Mail understands Shibasaki will definitely start, with Seibold to decide between Perese’s speed and attacking instincts or the no-nonsense forward industry provided by the 197cm Kennedy on interchange. Broncos teammates have been impressed by the athleticism of Perese, a former Australian Schoolboys ace who starred in the green-and-gold in the under-20s rugby World Cup in 2017. Perese has been in sizzling form for feeder-club Redcliffe this season in the Intrust Super Cup. The classy outside back has scored seven tries in 15 games and amassed a staggering 117 tackle busts, including a whopping 14 per game in three consecutive weeks. “I’m not sure if he will play, but ‘Seibs’ (Seibold) might give him a taste so let’s see how he goes,” Broncos centre Kotoni Staggs said of Perese.

Perese could debut against the Panthers on Friday. Picture: Dan Peled

Perese could debut against the Panthers on Friday. Picture: Dan Peled

“I think he’s ready, he’s been playing outstanding for ‘Reddy’ so we’ll see what Seibs feels about him.” The Broncos can leapfrog Penrith into seventh spot, and virtually seal a finals berth, with victory at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night and Staggs dismissed suggestions Brisbane can’t compete with the NRL’s top-four sides. Melbourne (40-4), the Roosters (36-4) and Souths (38-6) have thrashed the Broncos this season, although Brisbane did exact revenge against the tri-colours with a 15-10 boilover in round 10.

Perese is a rugby convert from the Queensland Reds. Picture: Chris Hyde

Perese is a rugby convert from the Queensland Reds. Picture: Chris Hyde

“I think we can compete with them,” he said. “Our defence wasn’t switched on the night we played Melbourne but we just let ourselves down there. “I still believe we can compete with the top four. “We have to win every game now. Our defence is the most important thing we have been practising so if we keep our defence on track we will go a long way.” Staggs is wary of the threat posed by 120kg Panthers powerhouse Viliame Kikau, who will be making a beeline for himself and Broncos forward Tevita Pangai Jr. “I have watched a fair bit of him on TV, he is a big boy,” Staggs said. “He is strong and he runs hard all the time so he will be hard to stop. “I’m expecting Kikau to come across our side so it’s important we take time away from James Maloney inside him and get in his face.”
Do it seibs. Show some balls

Last edited:

The Strapper

QCup Player
If this true and he is in the frame to be picked what I don't get is why are Dearden/O'Sullivan being held back supposedly because 'there is too much riding on these next few games and they mightn't handle the pressure'
FFS surely the same situation applies to this kid as well.

Last edited:

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Mathematically we could still make the finals even if we drop the next 3 games and win the Bulldogs game, but we would need results to go our way.

We can secure a spot in the finals regardless of other results if we win 3 of our next 4.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Didn't they say he might be coming for Kennedy? If that's the case, it is just as stupid. A back and a hooker on the bench? Is Oates shifting into the second-row when Perese comes on?
- Merged

Don't the storm play b.smith and papenhuyzen off the bench?
B.Smith plays as a lock basically. Macca could shift to 13 I suppose.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter