PRE-GAME Round 23 - Broncos vs Rabbitohs

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Also, how far off is tanah boyd? Now i know i’ll get shouted down for probably even mentioning him but here me out.

If he is handling the queensland cup well defensively and in 2 different positions isnt he already showing the necessary ability to cope with the parts of debutants games they normally fail in (defence, fitting structures, confidence, ball handling). Just a thought...

Bunnies are very vulnerable this week with massive injuries in the back line:
1. Gagai
2. Hymel Hunt
3. Braidon Burns
4. Tyrrell Fui
5. Richie Kennar

That is poor and they will be heavily dependent on the forwards where we are strong. Travelling to Suncorp, where we play better.

Gagai has less ball playing than Hoffman

Bunnies are very vulnerable this week with massive injuries in the back line:
1. Gagai
2. Hymel Hunt
3. Braidon Burns
4. Tyrrell Fui
5. Richie Kennar

That is poor and they will be heavily dependent on the forwards where we are strong. Travelling to Suncorp, where we play better.

Gagai has less ball playing than Hoffman

That backline is horrid but their forwards are still quality, they still have a good halfback and still have Cook.

We handled Cook well enough last time we played them. If our forwards turn up ready to play like they did against the Sharks we should win comfortably, assuming Niko doesn't let in his standard 2-3 tries.

Also, how far off is tanah boyd? Now i know i’ll get shouted down for probably even mentioning him but here me out.

If he is handling the queensland cup well defensively and in 2 different positions isnt he already showing the necessary ability to cope with the parts of debutants games they normally fail in (defence, fitting structures, confidence, ball handling). Just a thought...

He's played two games this year one a month ago at fullback and one on Sunday. Two games is a bit small to decide if he's handling it.

He isn't in the top 30 so can't play and hasn't shown anywhere near enough to be a NRL half.

He's played two games this year one a month ago at fullback and one on Sunday. Two games is a bit small to decide if he's handling it.

He isn't in the top 30 so can't play and hasn't shown anywhere near enough to be a NRL half.
How many games did david fifita play? Payne haas? They played more then 2 games i know but those 2 positions are surely more demanding physically. Staggs didnt have alot as well. 2 games isnt enough to determin if he will handle it long term, but we dont need to know that yet.

I am in no way suggesting he should be our permenant halfback solution, but we are getting to the stage of “why not try it” that made me ask the question.

How many games did david fifita play? Payne haas? They played more then 2 games i know but those 2 positions are surely more demanding physically. Staggs didnt have alot as well. 2 games isnt enough to determin if he will handle it long term, but we dont need to know that yet.

I am in no way suggesting he should be our permenant halfback solution, but we are getting to the stage of “why not try it” that made me ask the question.

Fifita and Haas didn't have to run a team. They just had to come off the bench and run and tackle and they were training full time with the Broncos and they were able to play.

If it went badly with them you gave them 10 minutes you can't do that with Boyd at half.

Last edited:
We handled Cook well enough last time we played them. If our forwards turn up ready to play like they did against the Sharks we should win comfortably, assuming Niko doesn't let in his standard 2-3 tries.

Also depends if Boyd lets in his standard 2-3 tries to be fair. Niko keeps having to make fullback type tackles while Boyd watches.

Fifita and Haas didn't have to run a team. They just had to come off the bench and run and tackle and they were training full time with the Broncos and they were able to play.

If it went badly with them you gave them 10 minutes you can't do that with Boyd at half.
Boyd doesnt have to run the team, and he can come off the bench (which is what i would do). Again, not saying he is our answer at halfback like your implying I am suggesting but the highlight of our season and some of the best performers have been from debutants who have supposedly not been ready and we are getting to the stage where we need to try something different. If the other halves havent been able to force bennetts hand in a season where we have been screaming for depth or options in the spine positions, then maybe a young guy may just offer somethkng different.

Everyone on here would know im the conservative selection type and I am a staunch bennett has a formula that works type forum contributor, but there comes a time when doing the same thing over and over is just insanity. Bennett has shown he isnt afraid to blood rookies, so I am simply questioning whether this kid could be one that would appeal to us in the predicament we find ourselves in. We need something different and we are lavking options...

And whilst they can get away with stupidity and cluelessness for 1 or 2 plays forwards dont just run and tackle these days, its not the 1980’s. They need to know defensive structures and run certain lines, they need to know the plays as well as the halves do sometimes. Opposition teams would hammer weaknesses like that, no matter the positon they play.

Boyd doesnt have to run the team, and he can come off the bench (which is what i would do). Again, not saying he is our answer at halfback like your implying I am suggesting but the highlight of our season and some of the best performers have been from debutants who have supposedly not been ready and we are getting to the stage where we need to try something different. If the other halves havent been able to force bennetts hand in a season where we have been screaming for depth or options in the spine positions, then maybe a young guy may just offer somethkng different.

Everyone on here would know im the conservative selection type and I am a staunch bennett has a formula that works type forum contributor, but there comes a time when doing the same thing over and over is just insanity. Bennett has shown he isnt afraid to blood rookies, so I am simply questioning whether this kid could be one that would appeal to us in the predicament we find ourselves in. We need something different and we are lavking options...

And whilst they can get away with stupidity and cluelessness for 1 or 2 plays forwards dont just run and tackle these days, its not the 1980’s. They need to know defensive structures and run certain lines, they need to know the plays as well as the halves do sometimes. Opposition teams would hammer weaknesses like that, no matter the positon they play.

Why pick him for change and give him a few minutes off the bench? What would his role be? Who do you drag to get him on? Keeping in mind as I keep saying it doesn't matter he isn't allowed to play.

He doesn't train with the team or a full time footballer, he's played two games against men in his career. It would be greatly unfair to expect a guy to play NRL under those conditions.

It's got nothing to do with stupid or clueless but a bench forward is completely different to a half. You can get away with young forwards-not many young halves though.

Fifita and Haas were ultra conservative in their NRL games and Haas was in his ISC games too- Fifita less so. In fact it's one of the reasons I wrapped Haas in all his ISC games.

I know they were told run and tackle, be enthusiastic that's their job for a while.

Why pick him for change and give him a few minutes off the bench? What would his role be? Who do you drag to get him on? Keeping in mind as I keep saying it doesn't matter he isn't allowed to play.

He doesn't train with the team or a full time footballer, he's played two games against men in his career. It would be greatly unfair to expect a guy to play NRL under those conditions.

It's got nothing to do with stupid or clueless but a bench forward is completely different to a half. You can get away with young forwards-not many young halves though.

Fifita and Haas were ultra conservative in their NRL games and Haas was in his ISC games too- Fifita less so. In fact it's one of the reasons I wrapped Haas in all his ISC games.

I know they were told run and tackle, be enthusiastic that's their job for a while.
What do we get out of staggs being on the bench? Also, correct me if im wrong here, but staggs is not in the top 30 right? So... my personal choice would be turpin on the bench due to the fact he performed well in his nrl debut and we need speed out of dummy half to take advantage of our packs periods of dominance. But bennett hasnt gone back there for some reason and the other arent a chance by the looks of things so what do we have to lose? Whats the other options? I wouldnt mind a 4 forward bench i suppose but its not if our forward pack is getting dominated. We need spark off the bench or at least an option at dummy half/halves to possibly spark something or put pressure on the options we are currently using. Is boyd the answer, i doubt it, but whats the other options? Do we just try nothing or leave the bench spot for a player who has played zero minutes 2 weeks in a row (coincidentally the same 2 weeks we lost to 2 bottom 3 teams)....

What do we get out of staggs being on the bench? Also, correct me if im wrong here, but staggs is not in the top 30 right? So... my personal choice would be turpin on the bench due to the fact he performed well in his nrl debut and we need speed out of dummy half to take advantage of our packs periods of dominance. But bennett hasnt gone back there for some reason and the other arent a chance by the looks of things so what do we have to lose? Whats the other options? I wouldnt mind a 4 forward bench i suppose but its not if our forward pack is getting dominated. We need spark off the bench or at least an option at dummy half/halves to possibly spark something or put pressure on the options we are currently using. Is boyd the answer, i doubt it, but whats the other options? Do we just try nothing or leave the bench spot for a player who has played zero minutes 2 weeks in a row (coincidentally the same 2 weeks we lost to 2 bottom 3 teams)....

I would say that if Turpin was a chance of being in the NRL side he wouldn't be off the bench at Dolphins.

Staggs isn't in the 30 but he is in the development squad and trains with the NRL side every week and has done all year. That's why he can play but only off the bench unless we have some centre injuries.

Boyd isn't involved at all, he played MM for Souths and now Colts with two ISC games. He isn't a full time footballer. Boyd isn't in the 30 or the six- he can't play.

I would have spark off the bench along way down the list of things the Broncos need. Defence- inside man not getting up in front and enthusiasm I would take first.

I would say that if Turpin was a chance of being in the NRL side he wouldn't be off the bench at Dolphins.

Staggs isn't in the 30 but he is in the development squad and trains with the NRL side every week and has done all year. That's why he can play but only off the bench unless we have some centre injuries.

Boyd isn't involved at all, he played MM for Souths and now Colts with two ISC games. He isn't a full time footballer. Boyd isn't in the 30 or the six- he can't play.

I would have spark off the bench along way down the list of things the Broncos need. Defence- inside man not getting up in front and enthusiasm I would take first.
Not sure what turpin has done wrong, but he showed he was more then worth another punt in his debut-good or bad form on his return to ISC.

I agree with defence being the main issue. But having a player on the bench playing zero minutes is also not going to solve that. Our defensive issues appear to be predominantly due to attitude, and picking these same players constantly after repetitively poor performances with poor attitudes is also not going to solve that. They need a scare, or to show their positions arent so safe. He actually did that with his isaako to fb choice, kahu getting dropped, and by blooding a lot of rookies this year-but the selections the last 2 weeks have undone alot of the positives those selections brought.

I dont think boyd is the answer, and if he cant get picked this year thats great to know... but my original post was that he may not be as far away from selection as 1st thought. And if dargan has signed for the knights and the fact boyd has been chucked into ISC as soon as possible (just turned 18 and even got leeway to start a game before 18) then they are obviously trying to bring him through asap...

Not sure what turpin has done wrong, but he showed he was more then worth another punt in his debut-good or bad form on his return to ISC.

I agree with defence being the main issue. But having a player on the bench playing zero minutes is also not going to solve that. Our defensive issues appear to be predominantly due to attitude, and picking these same players constantly after repetitively poor performances with poor attitudes is also not going to solve that. They need a scare, or to show their positions arent so safe. He actually did that with his isaako to fb choice, kahu getting dropped, and by blooding a lot of rookies this year-but the selections the last 2 weeks have undone alot of the positives those selections brought.

I dont think boyd is the answer, and if he cant get picked this year thats great to know... but my original post was that he may not be as far away from selection as 1st thought. And if dargan has signed for the knights and the fact boyd has been chucked into ISC as soon as possible (just turned 18 and even got leeway to start a game before 18) then they are obviously trying to bring him through asap...

Souths were desperate and had huge injuries, they weren't faced with much choice but to pick their Colts.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • Browny
  • Old Mate
  • Brocko
  • lynx000
  • Fitzy
  • Alec
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • LittleDavey
  • bb_gun
  • Broncosarethebest
  • simplythebest
  • Johnny92
  • Wolfie
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.