Morning
10:00

Team Lists

BroncsNBundy

BroncsNBundy

NYC Player
Contributor
Jul 29, 2013
whether we play a team once or twice isn't some random decision made by the idiots at the NRL, it is based on the way the ladder finished the previous season. IIRC, the split the previous years ladder into two pools (always gets split the same way). then you play everyone in your pool once and everyone in the other pool twice ... one of the few things that isn't at conspiracy or **** up at league central

I actually emailed the NRL a suggest set up for draw one time. They responded by saying they dont do pools as such. They place more emphasis on "derby" games. Broncs V Cowboys for example

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I dislike this argument regarding coming into a finals series on a win streak and having to then extend that streak.

I think any team thinking about winning a GF as a 7, 10, 13, etc. game win streak is probably not in a mental state to do it anyway, as they would be getting too far ahead of themselves leading to complacency or increased stress

Yes those streaks are hard to come by but finals games are largely sudden death and all that matters is you win your next game.

The premiers aren't the best team through the year it's who can put the best month of footy together at the end. Finals are a whole new competition regardless of what anyone says and you want to be coming into it in winning form as opposed to needing a loss to break the streak.

It would be interesting to see what kind win streaks the last few premiers were on when they won the GF. Melbourne were dominant last year so I suspect they could have had a fair run going.
it's not an argument my friend, what I've said is fact. If the Broncs win the GF this year they will have gone seven weeks with out a loss. Seeing has they have not gone any better than four wins in a row and then lost concentration or failed to 'get up' the following week the scenario is a pretty mighty ask.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
see my post above ... the who we place twice isn't a random decision ... it is based of the previous seasons ladder
That may be true but only to a point. I can guarantee now without a shadow of a doubt we will play the cowboys twice next year, for example.

BroncsNBundy

BroncsNBundy

NYC Player
Contributor
Jul 29, 2013
Below is the text from the email I recieved from NRL regarding the draw.

Thanks for your enquiry.
The format, as it is, creates great excitement for our fans as the draw is structured in a way that allows fans to see the games they want (eg. QLD teams play each other twice). The competition is so close that every game means everything to everyone, and as you know, the top 8 positions are often decided at the very last minute. The strength of the competition lies in the fact that each year every team is capable of winning the competition and it is this unpredictability that ensures momentum is sustained and built upon over the course of the footy season.
To consider your suggestion of breaking the competition into two pools, ie top 8 v bottom 8 from the previous year, could potentially mean that we alienate some supporters by suggesting that eight teams are better than the rest and we know that is simply not the case as has been proven by the fact that no team has won the competition twice in a row and wooden spooners have become close contenders for the topposition the following year. As the game is so even at the moment, it does not seem fair to disadvantage a team because of its position on the ladder in the previous year. Importantly, I am not sure that fans of that team would necessarily start the season with the same level of excitement, passion, and loyalty, knowing their team will be in the ‘bottom eight’.
We certainly see merit in your aim to liven up the game and we commend you on your original thoughts. At this stage we don’t have plans to change the current format however we have noted down your suggestions for consideration in future reviews.
Thanks again for taking the time to write in, and for your support of the game.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Below is the text from the email I recieved from NRL regarding the draw.

Thanks for your enquiry.
The format, as it is, creates great excitement for our fans as the draw is structured in a way that allows fans to see the games they want (eg. QLD teams play each other twice). The competition is so close that every game means everything to everyone, and as you know, the top 8 positions are often decided at the very last minute. The strength of the competition lies in the fact that each year every team is capable of winning the competition and it is this unpredictability that ensures momentum is sustained and built upon over the course of the footy season.
To consider your suggestion of breaking the competition into two pools, ie top 8 v bottom 8 from the previous year, could potentially mean that we alienate some supporters by suggesting that eight teams are better than the rest and we know that is simply not the case as has been proven by the fact that no team has won the competition twice in a row and wooden spooners have become close contenders for the topposition the following year. As the game is so even at the moment, it does not seem fair to disadvantage a team because of its position on the ladder in the previous year. Importantly, I am not sure that fans of that team would necessarily start the season with the same level of excitement, passion, and loyalty, knowing their team will be in the ‘bottom eight’.
We certainly see merit in your aim to liven up the game and we commend you on your original thoughts. At this stage we don’t have plans to change the current format however we have noted down your suggestions for consideration in future reviews.
Thanks again for taking the time to write in, and for your support of the game.
That's a good response. Tinkering with a sport that struggles in popularity would be foolhardy. Alienating some of the fans would be rugby league suicide.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
it's not an argument my friend, what I've said is fact. If the Broncs win the GF this year they will have gone seven weeks with out a loss. Seeing has they have not gone any better than four wins in a row and then lost concentration or failed to 'get up' the following week the scenario is a pretty mighty ask.
True enough Jed, tell me if you can or save me looking through this years results, which teams in the eight did win 7 in a row this year? Saints, Souths, Melbourne perhaps..

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
True enough Jed, tell me if you can or save me looking through this years results, which teams in the eight did win 7 in a row this year? Saints, Souths, Melbourne perhaps..
Who do you think I am Huge? David 'ill fitting suit' Middleton? I think all three prolly did though.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I get what you're saying, but my point was more so about the presumption that a long win streak is ultimately a downfall of a team's success in the finals.

The season may provide evidence that a team could struggle to get up every week, but to me the finals are a different beast. The pressure of every game is amplified and I hardly think a team is concerned about their win streak or would use it as an excuse should they lose ie "oh well we were never going to go on a 7 game win streak to begin with so a loss was inevitable"

And if a team or player does have that mentality they're probably shot anyway.

But that's just me I don't like to buy into stats when it comes to teams percentages against other teams. Every game is unique and stats don't matter after the whistle is blown.

Except us v storm, but I put that down to the storm's consistency. They've basically been playing to the same strategy and form line for 10+ years.

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

Unless we lose to the Sea Eagles, then our simple 4-game streak simply needs to happen again. Guaranteed premiership!

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
If the NRL really are controlling the narrative and controlling who wins, then you would think it would be our turn this year.

A team outside the top 4 being the first to win it which would show just how open the comp is and giving Thaiday the dream farewell.

That would make bigger headlines then Slater winning in his last year and Storm being the first team to go back to back since the Broncos.

TonyTheJugoslav

TonyTheJugoslav

QCup Player
Nov 15, 2014
Taking my son to his first game on Father’s Day. Can’t fucking wait to be honest

Ha, me too mate. Taking my youngest to his first, it will be the second game for my eldest. They are both so excited.

I am also taking my little ones and did check today they will be allowing people onto the field after the game. There is also a presentation for Petro at some point and a game curtain raiser game @ 1:30 vs PNG Orchids.

Should be a cracker of a day.

Crazy Sam

Crazy Sam

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
whether we play a team once or twice isn't some random decision made by the idiots at the NRL, it is based on the way the ladder finished the previous season. IIRC, the split the previous years ladder into two pools (always gets split the same way). then you play everyone in your pool once and everyone in the other pool twice ... one of the few things that isn't at conspiracy or **** up at league central

This used to be the case, but isn't anymore. They changed it a number of years ago so that all clubs now submit a list of requests including who they would prefer to host and other requests (e.g. when they host them, particular weekends they want home games). Clubs can base their list on anything they want, but generally seem to base it on who will draw the most crowds/money. The draw is then done by a Canadian company taking all of that into account along with other requirements (venue availability etc.). This article gives more info: https://www.nrl.com/news/2012/11/12/the-process-behind-the-draw/

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
If the NRL really are controlling the narrative and controlling who wins, then you would think it would be our turn this year.

A team outside the top 4 being the first to win it which would show just how open the comp is and giving Thaiday the dream farewell.

That would make bigger headlines then Slater winning in his last year and Storm being the first team to go back to back since the Broncos.

Disagree. If it’s that simple, Billy/Storm (aka Smith) gets it every time. They don’t give a **** about us so long as we get at least 30k through the gates every week

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I get what you're saying, but my point was more so about the presumption that a long win streak is ultimately a downfall of a team's success in the finals.

The season may provide evidence that a team could struggle to get up every week, but to me the finals are a different beast. The pressure of every game is amplified and I hardly think a team is concerned about their win streak or would use it as an excuse should they lose ie "oh well we were never going to go on a 7 game win streak to begin with so a loss was inevitable"

And if a team or player does have that mentality they're probably shot anyway.

But that's just me I don't like to buy into stats when it comes to teams percentages against other teams. Every game is unique and stats don't matter after the whistle is blown.

Except us v storm, but I put that down to the storm's consistency. They've basically been playing to the same strategy and form line for 10+ years.
I get what you are saying too. Our sports psychos need to ensure the boys are taking it game by game once we reach the semis, but my objective brain understands the winning streak they need to complete is a huge ask.

Mightybroncs2k17

Mightybroncs2k17

NRL Player
Jan 15, 2017
I’ve been slack and only getting tickets today and the game is looking pretty sold out. The best seats left are restricted view seats, can anyone shed some light onto how “restrecited” the view actually is from these seats?

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
I’ve been slack and only getting tickets today and the game is looking pretty sold out. The best seats left are restricted view seats, can anyone shed some light onto how “restrecited” the view actually is from these seats?

Least you might be going to the game.

I have work and will be lucky to see 20mins before i head to work. =(

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Bucking Beads
  • Porthoz
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Manifesto
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.