Round 6 - Broncos vs Panthers

At the end of the day our forwards were better than theirs and our backs were as good as theirs but our halves lost us the game

Turpin topped the tackle count again with 53. His work rate was astonishing out there. His service was excellent too, but I wish he'd add another dimension to his attack. Maybe he's too buggered from tackling forwards.

Croft was as good as Luai but Dearden looked like a 5th grader against cleary

Isaako was very good but he has to put his hero moments away. Two 2 point field goal attempts that were never on, and that stupid grubber on the first.

The grubber wasn't great given how early it in the count it was, but it wasn't the worst idea, and the fact that the team backed him up with some good defence to not let them off their own line easily was a great sign I thought.

But I can't see how the field goal attempt was a 'hero' moment - they clearly set up for him to take it, it wasn't just his spur of the moment call. Besides I only saw one attempt, just before Chinly's. When was the second?

Thats the spirit. Stick to the mature replies 😂
The team pulled out an herculean effort tonight and you still have the gall to belittle great performances by Croft and a few in the team you completely dismiss. Sometimes I wonder if we support the same team or you just want to be right regardless.
Un-fucking-believable!

Alex Glenn has regressed but we're not in the position where we can bench experienced NRL players

Corey Oates was unbelievable tonight, dropped that one ball but I thought it was a penalty actually. The Penrith player under him didn't even try to catch the ball, he has to be a regular going forward

Turpin topped the tackle count again with 53. His work rate was astonishing out there. His service was excellent too, but I wish he'd add another dimension to his attack. Maybe he's too buggered from tackling forwards.
The way he hits blokes is insane, gives me wood. But if we want him to keep making 50+ tackles, we can't expect him to dominate in attack this early in his career. Need a 14 who can give him 20minutes breather.

Alex Glenn has regressed but we're not in the position where we can bench experienced NRL players

Corey Oates was unbelievable tonight, dropped that one ball but I thought it was a penalty actually. The Penrith player under him didn't even try to catch the ball, he has to be a regular going forward
He is no longer first grade standard. Put Riki on the left edge. Glenn is quickly turning himself into the Boyd of 2020.

It has that air of Round 23 2006 vs. Melbourne where Brisbane out-played Melbourne for the majority but just let the game slip away. As mitch222 said, it's how they back up that's important but that was the best performance I've seen from the Broncos since Round 2 2020.

The forwards were immense but as Cult3 and others have pointed out, it was the halves who also made life difficult for the Panthers. There were no soft targets, the Broncos were constantly pushing and while I wouldn't say their defensive structures were great they made up for it with their effort. The thing with the halves is that they weren't just making their targets, they were coming up with some great tackles.

I just think when they had their opportunities the playmakers didn't take onus and really challenge the Panthers defensive line and some of the options were just poor. Isaako in particular was constantly out of position and was easily marked by the Panthers defence. His kick on tackle two was brain dead and he was just way too close to Pangai when Tevita popped the offload. I hated that second man play to Brodie Croft, just another brain dead play. Also close to the line they need to put Carrigan on decoy duty because he just isn't effective in that part of the field. He absolutely killed one of those sets late with a nothing settler. I hated that late field goal attempt as well, just keep the pressure on, Penrith were in all sorts.

It probably sounds like I'm down on the players but there was a lot to like and we finally saw some signs of life.

He is no longer first grade standard. Put Riki on the left edge. Glenn is quickly turning himself into the Boyd of 2020.

They did that last week and he gave up on the play which resulted in an arm grab on Gagai as he scored that try

Proud of that effort.

We should have been trounced, but we took the comp leaders down to the wire. Some smarter decisions in the final 10 and we could have won it.

I can't help but feel Brodie should have taken a crack at field goal instead of kicking it to Coates. I'll have to watch it again but I thought the Panthers defence wasn't rushing up and Brodie had a clean shot right in front.

Unread

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fitzy
  • Ondi
  • Lurker
  • Midean
  • TimWhatley
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.