Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Post Match Discussion

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Well then gradually up his minutes! I can't see that happening.

In order from his first game this year.

12 minutes
13 minutes
11 minutes
roughly 13 minutes again.

I'm sure he's fit enough to do 10 in the first half and 10 minutes in the second half. I don't know if he started in QCUP From round 1 but he's had about 5-7 games in a row now, he's not fresh off a knee injury.

FTR, Hala played 25 mins last night. which is double any other game he has played this year

source NRL.com

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Can't believe Reed and Hoffman were in front if Norman when he had a 2 on 1 going. You could see Norman say so to Reed.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Can't believe Reed and Hoffman were in front if Norman when he had a 2 on 1 going. You could see Norman say so to Reed.

BTW, who leads the team during the game? Who sees the bleeding obvious mistakes like Browny's point, the kicks to Inglis, and deals with it ... on field?

(sound of frogs and crickets in the dark forest ....)

(IMO, if we had given Inglis no free ball, we would have come within 2 points either way.)

Hook should also get Gillett to sit in a corner and write out a thousand times: I will not grab at the shoulders but wake up and tackle).

Last edited:
Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I would prefer he didn't do that much work if it meant he wasn't taking naps in the ruck throughout the game. If he wasn't on his back and was instead in the defensive line we probably wouldn't have been caught short and Souths mightn't have scored. Thaiday is guilty of it as well, it's ridiculous that they were on their backs more in defense tonight than the guys they were tackling.

I'll ring the club and tell them know one of their props is doing too much work then:001_rolleyes:

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I thought that was Prince best game for us, sure he was shit in defense but we all were. Even manged to take down Inglis one on one.

Yeah.....Prince's first half effort was good. Griffin (well anyone) could point out that the game was lost in the first 10 mins after half time. From there we never recovered

Good that we never rolled over....

Attack has gone back to being too flat (last week too) Jack Reed must be a bit slow in the head if he can't realise that he's over running Norman and giving him no option but to die with the ball.

Prince tried a few short kicks back into the middle last night without anyone chasing. The idea was right, but we have to find someone like a (slater/barba) who's fast and can chase them down. Perhaps Hoffman needs to roam a bit more in attack...I think he could fill the role of a fast short kick chaser.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I just have to pull you up on Te'o and McQueen. They have a job to do and that job is to defend and run the ball hard. We play a different style than we have ever played before and we don't play them as hole running forwards, yet. They do their jobs extremely well and to see how far McQueen has come from being a QLD cup player to cement his first grade spot. I always rated him as a backrower over centre or winger and Madge is getting the best of out him.

On the Burgess brothers. Yeah they pop their head through the line, that is their job. Yet you have not seen how far George has come in just over a year. He was so raw when he first came and was playing in NYC. His size always made the contests in NYC a bit of a miss match but he has worked extremely hard to get his fitness up to NRL standard.

Plus don't forget we are without 2 very important forwards in Crocker and Lima. Though our replacements are very good up and coming future stars of the game.

Well, all that may be true, but take Inglis out of Souths and Souths are no different to the Broncos without Hodges.

Souths are Inglis. Let's wait until he's not there and see how you go.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Positives:
- Showed a lot of heart and didn't give up, that could have blown out but the boys dug deep to stay in it. Being up at half time was a massive effort, very good stuff.
- Prince had some good efforts tonight, both in A + D.
- Kahu looks the goods, he should be on the wing outside Hodges next week.
- Ditto for Hala, what a fucking MACHINE!!
- Hunt comes on for Macca in the first half, we score - twice. Macca goes off injured late in the second half, we nearly score another couple of times.

Not-so-positives:
- Didn't get the rub of the green, didn't lose us the game but sure didn't help.
- Forgot how to attack! Where was the structure?? Although Souths were brilliant in defense too, there was rarely room on the edges and they read the second man plays like a book.
- Forwards (bar Hala) seemed to have an off night.
- 5th tackle options once again sucked. Badly. Right from the first set.
- We're still well short of the top 4 teams. I said to my wife at half time we'd need to go up a gear to stay in touch - we didn't, and we didn't.

We can improve, and I hope we do - but it was a good reality check lastnight.

Last edited:
C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
There's 2 arguments i fucking hate.

1. He's played more first grade games than you. Well whoop t do!

2. The coach knows best.

Those 2 arguments, if valid, would render debate about football completely obsolete unless you're Darren Lockyer.

So please. Stop.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Not really. He's the coach, he knows better than me. And better than most.

That's not always the case with NRL coaches. Goes for both the coaches we had previously too.

Last edited:
Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
That's not always the case with NRL coaches. Goes for both the coaches we had previously too.

Disagree. There's no way possible that us in the armchair are in a better position than the coach to know what is best for the team. Sure, we may not agree with all that is happening, but for all we know Denan Kemp might still be struggling a bit with the hamstring injury. Or the illness he had.

That's why I find it pointless to be overly critical of the coach, be it Griffin or any coach - we have no idea what exactly is going on behind the scenes.

Pigskin

Pigskin

NYC Player
Mar 5, 2008
I'll admit, last year I really liked the look of Maranta. But already he looks to be going down the path of so many Broncos. Solid, but lacks speed, flair and creativity.

Surely we have an 18yo (or two) with genuine pace, a decent step or some x-factor about him. I don't care if he has a few rough edges or even costs us a game at some point. Put him in. We aren't winning a premiership this year anyway.

It would seem waiting for Yow Yeh to come back would be futile.

Oink !

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Disagree. There's no way possible that us in the armchair are in a better position than the coach to know what is best for the team. Sure, we may not agree with all that is happening, but for all we know Denan Kemp might still be struggling a bit with the hamstring injury. Or the illness he had.

That's why I find it pointless to be overly critical of the coach, be it Griffin or any coach - we have no idea what exactly is going on behind the scenes.

Bennett selecting Stu Kelly, constantly. That was bad.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008

Waiting for the little grubber through i'd reckon.

R

RedHillGuy

BRL Player
Mar 14, 2008
The broncos halves like the majority of halves in the comp struggle to have an impact when our forwards aren't getting a roll on and getting some quicker play the balls. Only the very top tier of halves manage behind beaten packs. I think we are probably one real "big body" short against the bunnies. The only time we looked dangerous was from 2nd phase play. Someone like a Tronc type prop with a bit of 2nd phase play or a Petero like prop who never gets smashed would have been handy out there. I think we really missed hodges dummy half running last night. Not only from a metres point of view but also from a play the ball speed point of view. When the forwards are tired he really helps out getting our sets started. Broncos also needed some Cam Smith like kicking from Macca. Macca had one short kick early that was rubbish and a very wobbly attempted 40/20 as well. Melbourne forwards don't always dominate but Smith has a knack of pulling off a super kick from dummy half to swing the momentum. Hunt continues to be "rocks or diamonds". He was good again last night after being very average the week before. That 10minute period after half time was an obvious killer but was a good effort to hang in and not let the shoreline blowout.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Bennett selecting Stu Kelly, constantly. That was bad.

Like I said, no dramas disagreeing with selections or whatever. But to sit on this forum and act like you're at Red Hill 7 days a week knowing what is going on - I find that totally pointless.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Results on the field are all that counts, and if they are bad, then results off the field count a lot

Last edited:
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Like I said, no dramas disagreeing with selections or whatever. But to sit on this forum and act like you're at Red Hill 7 days a week knowing what is going on - I find that totally pointless.
Who's acting like they're at red hill 7 days a week?

Unread

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • rnabokov
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.