Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Post Match Discussion

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Bennett selecting Stu Kelly, constantly. That was bad.

What other options were available at the time....?

I'm guessing the motivation for all the Griffin haters to start twisting their G-strings again is the minutes Hala is/isn't getting.......

Didn't he have a terrible knee injury last year.......unable to walk for months after surgery?

You can hardly blame Griffin at this stage of the year for only weaning him back into first grade......

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
One of our biggest issues was that our forwards particularly thaiday and hannant were stuffed for most of that game. They were reasonably ineffective yet hook decided to put them out for more minutes making them useless. He really needs to learn what a bench is for. Hodges not doing dummy half runs didn't help. The manly forwards showed their reasonably average roster of a forward pack can be beaten. But their backs are awesome defensively. We couldn't beat either. Neither could we contain the burgess brothers like manly did.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Our spine us average. that is the main problem. we don't have one player UN our spine that is up to origin level imo.

Big Dave

Big Dave

Banned User
Feb 27, 2013
MacTurd is a future Australian captain according to most on here

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Parker is a great competitor but gee, unless he throws a brilliant offload, he's a momentum killer on the line.

You do need your middle third players to run straight and help re-organise the attack, even if it wastes a tackle. If we keep going from side to side, our attack won't be very effective. You run down the middle, get a few defenders involved to bring extra ones in from the edges, and get a quick play the ball or an offload. Meanwhile the halves organise the rest of the players so there's purpose in the attack, and attack the edges where the defence spread out a bit. I think Parker is just doing his job, but he does probably run a bit too much. It would probably be more effective if the hooker mixed it up a bit, hitting a "decoy" prop with a flat ball instead of passing wider to a half.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
You do need your middle third players to run straight and help re-organise the attack, even if it wastes a tackle. If we keep going from side to side, our attack won't be very effective. You run down the middle, get a few defenders involved to bring extra ones in from the edges, and get a quick play the ball or an offload. Meanwhile the halves organise the rest of the players so there's purpose in the attack, and attack the edges where the defence spread out a bit. I think Parker is just doing his job, but he does probably run a bit too much. It would probably be more effective if the hooker mixed it up a bit, hitting a "decoy" prop with a flat ball instead of passing wider to a half.

Indeed. Plan A. I like it.

But amomgst other things, we need to work out why we had 18 offloads to Souths 4 and still lost.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

The problem is Parker isn't really good at taking the settling play. You need somebody who can bend the line so you have momentum for your next play and that isn't his forte. He also has the habit of going himself when we have an over-lap out-wide, even in Origin he was very lucky to get a desperate offload away when he muffed those opportunities.

Can blame the dummy half for a few things, but Parker's work inside the 20 isn't one of them.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
The problem is Parker isn't really good at taking the settling play. You need somebody who can bend the line so you have momentum for your next play and that isn't his forte. He also has the habit of going himself when we have an over-lap out-wide, even in Origin he was very lucky to get a desperate offload away when he muffed those opportunities.

Can blame the dummy half for a few things, but Parker's work inside the 20 isn't one of them.
Parker is an amazing player. Griffin has years of experience as a coach at many levels, I wouldn't question his use of Parker. If he wanted Parker to adjust some areas of his play, he would have already done so.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
J Wallace went okay. Much better option then Dodds and Lui IMO.

Yeah, he went OK in the 5 or 10 mins he was on the field. It seemed kinda weird keeping a fresh player on the bench until there were just a few minutes left while we were still 14 (or whatever it was) points behind.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah, he went OK in the 5 or 10 mins he was on the field. It seemed kinda weird keeping a fresh player on the bench until there were just a few minutes left while we were still 14 (or whatever it was) points behind.

Hook's use of the bench has always baffled me TBH.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The way I see it, Brisbane could operate on a 16 man bench and it wouldn't make a difference. Just as long as Thaiday, Hannant, McCullough & Parker (sometimes) had a stint it wouldn't matter, the 4th bench player is purely there as a pre-caution or as a way to blood somebody. Bennett used to operate in a similar manner, would blood players in by getting them involved in the game day experience and only give them a small taste late in the game when the pressure was dying off.

I still question whether Glenn and Gillett should be playing the full 80. There are times where they look completely out on their feet and it just makes me wonder whether they'd be better served catching a breather on the sideline and getting ready to carve up in the final few minutes. However, Hook may see this as short-term pain for long term gain and hope that they get used to the work-load and grow into 80 minute players and I'm open to that, for at least this season.

The big problem with the Broncos and it's something that rarely seems to get mentioned is our defence. We conceded over twice as many missed tackles and line-breaks yet completed 80% of our sets compared to their 66%. For a side that plays a very conservative brand of football, you would think shoring up the defence would be the major priority.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • Brocko
  • barker
  • Maddy
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Shane Tronc
  • Bucking Beads
  • jd87
  • Behind enemy lines
  • teampjta
  • BroncosAlways
  • Galah
  • LittleDavey
  • Santa
  • Skyblues87
  • Wolfie
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.