Round 8 - Broncos vs Titans

While I thought Isaako was one of the Broncos best 3 players, he needs to string at least a dozen quality games together before I begin rating him properly. He's been too inconsistent, his career so far has made Milford's consistency look like Cameron Smith.

The MIlford edition will come out of a slushy machine

Bundaberg rum cameron smith batch 2

I didn’t see the game live (was at a show) and accidentally spoiled the halftime score for myself, watched the whole thing when I got home. Very happy with the turnaround and a win like that will do wonders for the confidence because we’ve usually been the Titans for the last 3-5 years in always getting run down.

Hopefully that can help settle the panic that always happens and we know that we just have to play to our strengths with confidence and we can be very dangerous - as we all know the talent is not a problem, particularly when we work together.

Gamble was very good in just about every aspect, and is exactly what this side needed. A real credit to him and along with Milford and Oates coming back, puts so much weight into the necessity of QCup. Got in their faces and got his first win in NRL. Very happy for him

Great to see Kennedy get a quality run early in the game. Normally we see Flegler come on at that point and dickfinger it up or give away a penalty and we go to shit heading into half time. Instead Kennedy made his tackles, no penalties or errors and threw some nice offloads. Should always be in the 17

Isaako has so much potential, but he’s still a terrible defensive fullback. We need someone to help him there, and for him to stop kicking it dead off the kickoff. I swear you could run a $1.50 market on that happening every match.

I will say I enjoyed looking at the first 4-5 pages of the live thread after the game. We’ve all been there with the live takes but it was just very funny considering how quickly the game turned in our favour

On Gamble, everyone non-bronco fan is carrying on about how much they hate him and calling him all kinds of names. Was this just because he was vocal and in players faces or did I miss some thing more significant ?
He was just being aggressive.......he showed that he didn't like the opposition team. It was a nice change in the atmosphere.

I'm glad that opposition teams/fans hate him. That means he's on the right track.

Opposition fans hated Wally Lewis....even in his BRL days for Valley's (being Ross Strudwick's "protégé" didn't help) .....opposing fans (QLD'rs) hated him.

Was Gamble just psyched to play NRL last night(?)....or is this his general demeanour on the field. No-one mentioned that he was a mongrel **** in the preliminary game threads.

I'm not sure what McCunt said that you've quoted....(I've placed him on ignore). But yeah, credit where credit is due. Milford's game wasn't exactly where we need him to be, but it was a hell of an improvement when comparing his form of late. He was solid.....and did some smart things. Still needs to work harder on his support play......

Replacing him with some other random **** out of ISC, based on last night.....would be sensationalistic and searching for a headline like any other grubby sports "news" reporter....****.
@McHunt saud something along the lines of, “Look at all our tries, Milford was nowhere to be seen.”

Isaako - 12 runs for 137 metres
Oates - 12 runs for 199 metres
Farnworth - 13 runs for 118 metres
Arthars - 11 runs for 114 metres
Coates - 11 runs for 171 metres
Lodge - 12 runs for 121 metres
Haas - 16 runs for 176 metres
Riki - 5 runs for 34 metres
Pangai Jr - 19 runs for 168 metres
Carrigan - 14 runs for 142 metres

Spot the odd one out
TPJ also ran a few lovely decoys to open space out wide, resulting in at least a couple of our tries.

He caused them trouble on both sides of the ball and even when he didn’t have it. Great game from him.

I’m one of those who are off Milford but you are right about both.
Ditto and agreed.
I scrutinize Milford heavily, but i don't have anything bad to say about him from last night.
Could he be better? Of course but so could everyone on the field, i hope this sparks some inspiration in Milford to find some good form, and if by his happiness in the sheds after the game is to go by, he might just be enjoying his footy again.

In regards to Riki, he gets a pass from me, he didn't have a great night, but i like the kid, he seems to be genuinely appreciative and happy to be a Bronco and he has a ton of potential which we have all seen, and i reckon he is going to develop into a gun over time.

Isaako is the same in a lot of ways, he had a shocking start to the game and came back with some amazing footy and played the way we know he can.

All i want from these lads now is consistency.
Play like they did last night, and 2 weeks ago against Penrith and you have the makings of a competitive side.
They dont have to win every game, but if they bust their guts out like last night and lose, that is fine by me.

@McHunt saud something along the lines of, “Look at all our tries, Milford was nowhere to be seen.”
He did have a hand in couple of our tries, though he wasn't the one who went the extra yard, but what's more interesting is spotting him when the Titans score.

I didn’t see the game live (at a show) and accidentally spoiled the halftime score for myself, watched the whole thing when I got home. Very happy with the turnaround and a win like that will do wonders for the confidence because we’ve usually been the Titans for the last 3-5 years in always getting run down.

Hopefully that can help settle the panic that always happens and we know that we just have to play to our strengths with confidence and we can be very dangerous - as we all know the talent is not a problem, particularly when we work together.

Gamble was very good in just about every aspect, and is exactly what this side needed. A real credit to him and along with Milford and Oates coming back, puts so much weight into the necessity of QCup. Got in their faces and got his first win in NRL. Very happy for him

Great to see Kennedy get a quality run early in the game. Normally we see Flegler come on at that point and dickfinger it up or give away a penalty and we go to shit heading into half time. Instead Kennedy made his tackles, no penalties or errors and threw some nice offloads. Should

Isaako has so much potential, but he’s still a terrible defensive fullback. We need someone to help him there, and for him to stop kicking it dead off the kickoff. I swear you could run a $1.50 market on that happening every match.

I will say I enjoyed looking at the first 4-5 pages of the live thread after the game. We’ve all been there with the live takes but it was just very funny considering how quickly the game turned in our favour
Mate i was deathriding the Broncos in the first 5 pages of the live game thread, swearing i would never support this bunch of muppets again in my life.
By the end of that thread i was praising them as heroes and genuine Grand Final contenders haha.

I can admit when i was wrong, and boy was i wrong at the start of that game.
The whiskey helped balance it all out though i must admit.

Another observation last night was, despite playing better, Milford needs all the hard work and thinking done for him. After all this time he still doesn't actually know how to position himself to take advantage of defensive weaknesses, he needs someone to show him every detail. Case in point, on a bunch of the plays involving Milford, Milf was way too deep or standing in the wrong postion laterally, and Gamble had to throw the ball to where Milford should be in order to take advantage. Often times way in front in order to bring him up in to the gap / focus of attack. It worked - once Milford was in the correct spot he was able to throw the right pass or run the right angle, but still frustrating to see how limited he is.

On Isaako, when he had the ball, he was dynamite. Definitely a running fullback, the problem will now be that teams have a lot of footage for how he steps so they'll work on shutting him down.

In saying that, his ball-playing is a bit better than we ever got from Hoffman etc. The try for Arthurs in particular, if you look really closely you'll see Isaako just like *twitch* as if he was going to go for his step and run it himself. It was just enough to get the defender on his outside to blink and turn in and that gave Arthurs enough room to take a perfect, soft pass from Isaako to go over.

Another observation last night was, despite playing better, Milford needs all the hard work and thinking done for him. After all this time he still doesn't actually know how to position himself to take advantage of defensive weaknesses, he needs someone to show him every detail. Case in point, on a bunch of the plays involving Milford, Milf was way too deep or standing in the wrong postion laterally, and Gamble had to throw the ball to where Milford should be in order to take advantage. Often times way in front in order to bring him up in to the gap / focus of attack. It worked - once Milford was in the correct spot he was able to throw the right pass or run the right angle, but still frustrating to see how limited he is.
Very much what I saw, a few times I saw Gamble pointing at Milford where to kick, because you just know without being told otherwise he would of done one of those useless midfield bombs.

Looks to me like Isaako is defending as per the defensive structures we have in place.

Boyd was always up in the defensive line when we were defending our line
Yeah well....Boyd has been widely criticised for being shit as well. I'm not sure of your point, but if the teams defence structure is it.....I agree.

That said...Isaako didn't seem to react quick enough to the obvious danger signs. You look at the replays, he had the time, if his footy brain was working 'positively".
Again....that was a criticism of Boyd as well.

In all honesty...I think thats a lot to do with a lack of confidence. He's a shot duck at the minute....in fact has been for a while. Nothing he used to do, works for him anymore. Someone to guide him into being the natural footballer he is, will work wonders. Early days......

On Lodge, I thought he was good without being great last night. If you believe the story that we are willing to basically pay half his freight, what is the point? If he is on 800K, are we going to get a better prop for 400K to replace him?

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Gaz
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • ostin86
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Big Del
  • simplythebest
  • Nerd
  • Reds2011
  • jd87
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • spanky
  • mrtij
  • eggstar10
  • Dexter
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.