Round 8 - Broncos vs Titans

Another observation last night was, despite playing better, Milford needs all the hard work and thinking done for him. After all this time he still doesn't actually know how to position himself to take advantage of defensive weaknesses, he needs someone to show him every detail. Case in point, on a bunch of the plays involving Milford, Milf was way too deep or standing in the wrong postion laterally, and Gamble had to throw the ball to where Milford should be in order to take advantage. Often times way in front in order to bring him up in to the gap / focus of attack. It worked - once Milford was in the correct spot he was able to throw the right pass or run the right angle, but still frustrating to see how limited he is.
That’s what we saw in 2015 with Milford. He didn’t have to think or organise anything. Just had to be in the right spot at the right time. Kevvie was there for it and probably knows it’s what Milford needs.

Not that this has anything to do with his fullback play, but he was also directly responsible for the Titan's field position by kicking it out on the full on the restart. Again. So I blame him plenty for that first 15 minutes of Cleveland Steamer.
It really annoys me how often he kicks it out on the full. Gets flustered at the smallest hint of pressure

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. That was a wonderful win and potentially the start of the way back up but we haven’t put two 80 minute performances in a row in years. I suspect we’ll come out flat next week and especially without the home crowd support to ride on either. I hope I’m wrong.

That's the challenge for any team team loaded with young kids but it's an opposition we can most definitely beat

So how long till some club swoops in to lure Gamble away with a bit of dosh? I give it 3 months. Just enough for him to really find his feet as a player before he's bought out. Broncs can't keep talent. Not with that fraud parasite organization in melbourne stealing QLD's talent and calling itself "melbourne".

Their fans will never admit it after having him right up in their face but the Titans will absolutely have an eye on him, there is no way Cash Taylor is getting another contract for 1 mill a season

It really annoys me how often he kicks it out on the full. Gets flustered at the smallest hint of pressure
Don't agree with this at all, for him to pull up his socks and finish like he did he dealt with the pressure just fine. A lot of blokes would have completely gone missing. He stood up after he kicked it out.

I don't think he has great footy IQ for sure, he may even be thick as two bricks. Reminds me a lot of Moga, can drop a ball over the line then run through a bunch of blokes. But you have to give a guy like that credit sometimes for not going into a shell.

I hope Kevvie still gave the side a spray for that start. Down 22-0 in less than 20 minutes.

I also hope he gave Isaako a spray. A couple of those tries could have been avoided if he wasn't out of position. Titans were looking for him in the defensive line and once they spotted him out of position, they put the grubber through and it kept paying off.

The other tries could have been avoided if they just made a fucking tackle, as well. Fogarty never should have been allowed to get in a position to put that kick in for Thompson.

Don't agree with this at all, for him to pull up his socks and finish like he did he dealt with the pressure just fine. A lot of blokes would have completely gone missing. He stood up after he kicked it out.

I don't think he has great footy IQ for sure, he may even be thick as two bricks. Reminds me a lot of Moga, can drop a ball over the line then run through a bunch of blokes. But you have to give a guy like that credit sometimes for not going into a shell.
Yeah I think he did well on Friday to recover from that horrible start, but the sample size isn't just Friday. There's 3 years of 1st grade where imo shows he tends to go into his shell when it gets a little tough out there on the field. Numerous times we've seen him fold under pressure, whether it be kicking it out on the full, a dropped ball or missed tackle.

But hey we'll just agree to disagree, I don't want to be Mr negative and harp on too much about this. Big credit to him for turning it around and going on an absolute tear in the comeback, hopefully this gives him the confidence to keep firing next week.

Yeah I think he did well on Friday to recover from that horrible start, but the sample size isn't just Friday. There's 3 years of 1st grade where imo shows he tends to go into his shell when it gets a little tough out there on the field. Numerous times we've seen him fold under pressure, whether it be kicking it out on the full, a dropped ball or missed tackle.

But hey we'll just agree to disagree, I don't want to be Mr negative and harp on too much about this. Big credit to him for turning it around and going on an absolute tear in the comeback, hopefully this gives him the confidence to keep firing next week.
Considering he's responsible for over 40% of our season total points and has a nice haul of tackle busts and try assists would you think you'd be improving the team by replacing him?

Considering he's responsible for over 40% of our season total points and has a nice haul of tackle busts and try assists would you think you'd be improving the team by replacing him?
Those are nice numbers, but they don't tell the full story. He's had a lot of ups and downs throughout his career so far, including this season. There's a lot of room for him to improve, and he's done that this year and should continue to do so.

Replace him with who? With the current roster I don't think there's a better option, but that doesn't mean he's not immune to criticism. I feel like my post about him not handling pressure too well is being misunderstood. I think Haas can be lazy at times defensively, but in no way am I saying he's garbage or needs to be dropped.

19 goals (38 points)
4 tries (16 points)
3 try assists (12 points)

Total: 66 points
Broncos total: 122 points
54.1%

I think he tries to vary his kick offs in the same way that Feldt does... like the big towering floaters, etc. I remember him talking about it a few years back when he got us the ball back twice in the same game.

I don't think he tries it as much nowadays, but he had it really humming a few years back and perhaps he tries to go for it again and every now and then, but completely miss hit that one.

If I'm Kevvie I'm wanting him to practice some of those kick offs though. It's a point of difference for the team and if it causes the receiving team any sort of trouble then it's a great way to turn momentum, which is so much harder in Vlando ball.

I think he tries to vary his kick offs in the same way that Feldt does... like the big towering floaters, etc. I remember him talking about it a few years back when he got us the ball back twice in the same game.

I don't think he tries it as much nowadays, but he had it really humming a few years back and perhaps he tries to go for it again and every now and then, but completely miss hit that one.

If I'm Kevvie I'm wanting him to practice some of those kick offs though. It's a point of difference for the team and if it causes the receiving team any sort of trouble then it's a great way to turn momentum, which is so much harder in Vlando ball.

Did you see his drop out that went about 58m on the fly?! I think his boot might be TOO big and he struggles with knowing how much power to put into it.

I hope Kevvie still gave the side a spray for that start. Down 22-0 in less than 20 minutes.

I also hope he gave Isaako a spray. A couple of those tries could have been avoided if he wasn't out of position. Titans were looking for him in the defensive line and once they spotted him out of position, they put the grubber through and it kept paying off.

The other tries could have been avoided if they just made a fucking tackle, as well. Fogarty never should have been allowed to get in a position to put that kick in for Thompson.
It's a tactic the cowboys love doing as well.

They scored a couple tries like it in the trial to get them back into the game.

A lot of teams do it nowadays (roosters caught Ponga out a couple times last night), but the cows seem to really look for any opportunities to take advantage of it.

I'm wondering if there is any merit in having Milf putting up a torpedo bomb to restart a goal-line drop out? It might not have the distance Isaako gets but there is a real chance the opposition spills one of those wicked floating bombs, or plays safe and lets it bounce and who knows where it goes then.

Did you see his drop out that went about 58m on the fly?! I think his boot might be TOO big and he struggles with knowing how much power to put into it.
Yeah he has a massive boot, which is why I'd want him practicing those floating bombs off kick offs... would be a nightmare trying to catch them.

I feel against the cows we are always a chance of spilling a Feldt kick off because he puts up those big floaters.

It's such a momentum killer... just scored a try and then Feldt puts a floating bomb down into the corner and you spill it to give the ball straight back to them in great field position.

I think if he's doing the same monotonous kick off all the time that you can run the risk of just casually putting your foot through it and catching it sweetly to send it too far... if he has a few different kick offs in his kit bag then he is suddenly focussing on how he wants to hit it and might make him think about the kick a little more as well... like a low hard one, towering floater, one aimed at the goal posts, etc.

Put the pressure back on the receiving team instead of just putting it down there for an easy catch

Yeah well his legs are pretty jacked tbh so it's not a surprise!

As much as I love TPJ’s game, he did something really dumb in the first few minutes that led to points. Fifita was being held upright and he ran from the middle of the field to put an unnecessary hit on him. The next play the Titans ran straight through the gap he would have been defending in and scored. It’s the little things like that, that make it really hard for this team to win games.

Active Now

• LGH
  • Waynesaurus
  • Harry Sack
  • DrGee
  • Scdeac
  • bert_lifts
  • Manofoneway
  • lynx000
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • jarro65
  • Kenny powers
  • Bucking Beads
  • Stix
  • Howie
  • Gaz
  • FACTHUNT
  • sooticus
  • MrTickyMcG
  • IceWorks
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.