RUMOUR: Eels interested in Hunt

I'm all for thinking about replacements for Hunt, but Nikorima is currently not even an option, his kicking game is not even CLOSE to what we need from a halfback, we'd be replacing a below average kicker with a below average kicker, and thus defeat the purpose of replacing him.

Who would you replace hunt with then if he ever left?

Honestly can't see us losing Hunt for 2017 unless the club is certain they have another halfback on board - IMO we weaken our side considerably if we don't have a suitable replacement. Beyond 2017 really depends on how he goes next year.

I'm not going to list all 45 players with better kicking games than Hunt, but one of them.

but the majority of those 45 players are worse than Hunt in every other aspect of a halfbacks game.

unless we can replace Hunt with someone with similar levels of skills to him in the other aspects of a halfs play and get a kicking game, it is not worth replacing Hunt IMO

but the majority of those 45 players are worse than Hunt in every other aspect of a halfbacks game.

unless we can replace Hunt with someone with similar levels of skills to him in the other aspects of a halfs play and get a kicking game, it is not worth replacing Hunt IMO

I somewhat disagree, if we have a 7 who can organise with an above average kicking game and above average decision making, we're golden, doesn't matter if he's 140kg and can't tackle, the freedom that will grant Milford and co. to play their natural game will be completely worth it, not to mention the pressure it will take off our defence knowing they don't have to defend multiple 7 tackle sets per half.

I somewhat disagree, if we have a 7 who can organise with an above average kicking game and above average decision making, we're golden, doesn't matter if he's 140kg and can't tackle, the freedom that will grant Milford and co. to play their natural game will be completely worth it, not to mention the pressure it will take off our defence knowing they don't have to defend multiple 7 tackle sets per half.

Peter Wallace it is.

Sounds like Unbreakble wants a Dave Taylor/Tony Williams type. Again I'm very glad he's not involved in the recruitment at our club.

Not sure if you read my post or anything, but I said someone with a good kicking game and good game management, I don't believe either player you named can boast about those traits.

Unbreakable having read many of your posts I am somewhat fearful that your cigar contains hallucinogenic herbage. I am fairly sure that in reality if our no. 7 was 140 kgs and couldn't tackle you would be complaining.

Not sure if you read my post or anything, but I said someone with a good kicking game and good game management, I don't believe either player you named can boast about those traits.

Not sure if you read mine either because I didn't really name those two players, I said a Dave Taylor/Tony Williams type, Mr. Sensitive.

Unbreakable having read many of your posts I am somewhat fearful that your cigar contains hallucinogenic herbage. I am fairly sure that in reality if our no. 7 was 140 kgs and couldn't tackle you would be complaining.

If Hunt put on 50kg's in the off-season and also learned to kick, I'd happily sign him to a lifetime contract.

I just can't handle watching our halves kick it into the legs of the opposition every single week anymore, something has to change if we're going to make another Grand Final in this era.

He was actually very good next to Lockyer. People have a selective memory...
I agree, problem is Lockyer was an outstanding playmaker and possessed a quality kicking game, Milford is a great individual player but he isn't Lockyer, take Lockyer out of the picture, expect a player like Wallace to carry the side in those areas and you will see the reality of the situation.

When Lockyer was out with a knee injury, wasn't Wallace responsible for a 6-1 start to the season or something like that? Wallace was certainly not bad by any means.

When Lockyer was out with a knee injury, wasn't Wallace responsible for a 6-1 start to the season or something like that? Wallace was certainly not bad by any means.

No actually.

Lockyer did his knee in 2007 and he was back for the first game in 2008 (started that game from the bench).

Post 2011 Wallace has been average. So much that Penrith blooded two rookie halves and moved him to hooker.

No actually.

Lockyer did his knee in 2007 and he was back for the first game in 2008 (started that game from the bench).

Post 2011 Wallace has been average. So much that Penrith blooded two rookie halves and moved him to hooker.

After watching quite a bit of Panthers early in the year, that was primarily because Segeyaro was hurt / not playing good and they needed better service from dummy half, not because Wallace was playing bad, if anything Soward was the one who was playing bad out of the 2 original halves, and he got the arse.

I agree, problem is Lockyer was an outstanding playmaker and possessed a quality kicking game, Milford is a great individual player but he isn't Lockyer, take Lockyer out of the picture, expect a player like Wallace to carry the side in those areas and you will see the reality of the situation.
Wallace cannot burden the creative side of the halves pairing, but he did take a lot of work out of Locky's hands, was quite adept at building pressure with a pretty good short kicking game, and was able to take advantage of our aerial ability with the likes of Folau and Yow Yeh.

We now have Milford, and we need someone like Wallace more than we need someone like Hunt, despite the fact that young Ben is without a doubt the better player!

P.S. I'm pretty sure that [MENTION=7980]Mr Fourex[/MENTION] is foaming at the mouth now... worst part being, he probably knows it's the truth. :laugh:

Last edited:

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Waynesaurus
  • Evander
  • jarro65
  • Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • kiwibronco
  • Bish
  • ivanhungryjak
  • leon.bott
  • Wolfie
  • Manofoneway
  • MasterWright
  • Midean
  • BruiserMk1
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.