Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kluppy

QCup Player
Feb 2, 2010
maybe it was a statement like " if hook is still the coach when your contract is up then i'd being going somewhere else if i were you " and lets faced it, we couldn't blame him if that were the case....

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
I gotta disagree, @Foordy & @broncos4life. I (obviously) don't know what (if anything) was said, but it (allegedly) related to a choice whether to stay at the club or not. It's not just a choice about $$, there's other things important to the young blokes too I'd imagine. For example, many on this forum have been dismayed for some time at the development (or lack of) of some of our young players. I don't feel that our coaching staff are getting the best out of our players, not a chance. I don't feel our younger players are being developed in the best way possible either - Ben Hunt is a PERFECT example. Bench hooker for 3 years? Ridiculous - and this year proves it beyond doubt. Or maybe a younger bloke is struggling to break into our top team, and has been offered a top-17 position at another club?

Do you think the club is getting the best out of its players? Developing them well? Giving them every opportunity to play rep footy and earn the extra $$ that goes with it? Giving them every opportunity to win a premiership? What would a senior player say if asked those questions? If a younger bloke was weighing up an opportunity to go to (say) the Storm (ok maybe bad choice considering their form thus far - Manly or the Rabbits maybe) for more $$, what would you say? Or for a starting position if the young bloke was stuck as 3rd or 4th in line for a single position here? What if he didn't feel he was being developed well, which would in turn negatively impact his future career and earnings? Maybe all of the above?!

If Hannant "advised (a) younger player/s to sign elsewhere" because he feels our current coaching staff won't get the best out of them over their career / next contract, or they'll get a start elsewhere and may not here for the foreseeable future, I think it's a fair comment to make. These guys have a limited career, as we all know - they obviously want to do the best they can over that career, which means a starting position, strong development, and for the talented few (many in NSW's case hehe) - rep footy and the $$ that goes with it. I wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest if Ben Hunt left, but I'm glad he didn't. In any case, if Hannant provided advice to go, it doesn't mean the kid/s would anyway. It's just advice. When I ask advice, I want it straight, not sugar-coated "nah it's all rosy" bullshit.

It's all hypothetical anyway. Maybe it's just another media beat-up, only the people involved know. But I know, as a die-hard fan, that we were without our best prop on Friday night against an all-rep front row, got fucking steamrolled, and it was painful to watch. If it was simply a personality clash, that's not good enough. If it was a lack of aggression, why the **** was Kennedy still there?? I call bullshit on that excuse. If it was because he spoke frankly to a younger bloke weighing up a life-changing decision, then I also think it's fucked. Maybe the falling out with Griffin is because Hannant is voicing concerns about our game plan / whatever that he sees is not working. Maybe the younger bloke also feels that way so confided in Hannant as he knew Ben would give honest advice. A talking to would have sufficed IMO, not a goddamn stand-down. UNLESS, and this is my caveat, unless Hannant had already been warned about a similar type of thing or it was contractually off-limits. Then fair enough - but I still wouldn't blame Hannant for telling a kid straight if he's pissed about the way the club is travelling. I think most of us are unhappy with that...

I don't know, but the whole thing fucking stinks regardless. We all (I'm sure) have personality differences with people we work with, in our own 'teams'. I don't know about anyone else, but I just get on with the fucking job. There's work to do, you don't have to love everyone, just be civil and deal with it. These guys are professionals and I expect them to fucking act like it. They're there to play footy, and in Griffin's position to coach, and they're ALL there to fucking WIN. So just get on with it already! I think we all agree on that at least haha...

Griff needs to do better. Proper bench use would be a start.

Last edited:
Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
Right. Hopefully more players take his example and tell our younger guys they are worth more and should test their value, meaning we either lose these players or have less space in the cap.

That's awesome because I don't care about winning and making sure they players get too dollar is all I care about

You're really sensationalising what i said.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I gotta disagree, [MENTION=1769]Foordy[/MENTION] & [MENTION=7802]broncos4life[/MENTION]. I (obviously) don't know what (if anything) was said, but it (allegedly) related to a choice whether to stay at the club or not. It's not just a choice about $$, there's other things important to the young blokes too I'd imagine. For example, many on this forum have been dismayed for some time at the development (or lack of) of some of our young players. I don't feel that our coaching staff are getting the best out of our players, not a chance. I don't feel our younger players are being developed in the best way possible either - Ben Hunt is a PERFECT example. Bench hooker for 3 years? Ridiculous - and this year proves it beyond doubt. Or maybe a younger bloke is struggling to break into our top team, and has been offered a top-17 position at another club?

Do you think the club is getting the best out of its players? Developing them well? Giving them every opportunity to play rep footy and earn the extra $$ that goes with it? Giving them every opportunity to win a premiership? What would a senior player say if asked those questions? If a younger bloke was weighing up an opportunity to go to (say) the Storm (ok maybe bad choice considering their form thus far - Manly or the Rabbits maybe) for more $$, what would you say? Or for a starting position if the young bloke was stuck as 3rd or 4th in line for a single position here? What if he didn't feel he was being developed well, which would in turn negatively impact his future career and earnings? Maybe all of the above?!

If Hannant "advised (a) younger player/s to sign elsewhere" because he feels our current coaching staff won't get the best out of them over their career / next contract, or they'll get a start elsewhere and may not here for the foreseeable future, I think it's a fair comment to make. These guys have a limited career, as we all know - they obviously want to do the best they can over that career, which means a starting position, strong development, and for the talented few (many in NSW's case hehe) - rep footy and the $$ that goes with it. I wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest if Ben Hunt left, but I'm glad I didn't. In any case, if Hannant provided advice to go, it doesn't mean the kid/s would anyway. It's just advice. When I ask advice, I want it straight, not sugar-coated "nah it's all rosy" bullshit.

It's all hypothetical anyway. Maybe it's just another media beat-up, only the people involved know. But I know, as a die-hard fan, that we were without our best prop on Friday night against an all-rep front row, got fucking steamrolled, and it was painful to watch. If it was simply a personality clash, that's not good enough. If it was a lack of aggression, why the **** was Kennedy still there?? I call bullshit on that excuse. If it was because he spoke frankly to a younger bloke weighing up a life-changing decision, then I also think it's fucked. Maybe the falling out with Griffin is because Hannant is voicing concerns about our game plan / whatever that he sees is not working. Maybe the younger bloke also feels that way so confided in Hannant as he knew Ben would give honest advice. A talking to would have sufficed IMO, not a goddamn stand-down. UNLESS, and this is my caveat, unless Hannant had already been warned about a similar type of thing or it was contractually off-limits. Then fair enough - but I still wouldn't blame Hannant for telling a kid straight if he's pissed about the way the club is travelling. I think most of us are unhappy with that...

I don't know, but the whole thing fucking stinks regardless. We all (I'm sure) have personality differences with people we work with, in our own 'teams'. I don't know about anyone else, but I just get on with the fucking job. There's work to do, you don't have to love everyone, just be civil and deal with it. These guys are professionals and I expect them to fucking act like it. They're there to play footy, and in Griffin's position to coach, and they're ALL there to fucking WIN. So just get on with it already! I think we all agree on that at least haha...

Griff needs to do better. Proper bench use would be a start.

If hannant wants to be a bronco he should be advising others to do the same or **** off.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Right. Hopefully more players take his example and tell our younger guys they are worth more and should test their value, meaning we either lose these players or have less space in the cap.

That's awesome because I don't care about winning and making sure they players get too dollar is all I care about

B4L, I understand where you're coming from, but it's business these days mate. I don't like it either, but that's the reality. Yes, it would mean less cap space or losing those players. Yes, it sucks balls, but it's not just about the $$. For their limited career in the game, they WILL be after the best total package, including $$, that they can get. And that's OK, IMO. It's their career.

If I had an offer from another company for more $ and better development and asked a senior manager at my company what he thought, I would expect honest advice. I'd also expect there would be zero ramifications for him if he told me to take the better offer. It's life, it's business. It's ultimately people's livelihoods we're talking about, not just the footy team we love.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
"You know Hook is never going to pick you ahead of Reed, might as well try your luck elsewhere"

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
B4L, I understand where you're coming from, but it's business these days mate. I don't like it either, but that's the reality. Yes, it would mean less cap space or losing those players. Yes, it sucks balls, but it's not just about the $$. For their limited career in the game, they WILL be after the best total package, including $$, that they can get. And that's OK, IMO. It's their career.

If I had an offer from another company for more $ and better development and asked a senior manager at my company what he thought, I would expect honest advice. I'd also expect there would be zero ramifications for him if he told me to take the better offer. It's life, it's business. It's ultimately people's livelihoods we're talking about, not just the footy team we love.

I understand what you're saying and I think it sums up why our team is like they are compared to the top teams. I guarantee if a young storm player asked smith he would tell him to stay. The senior players at manly the same.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013

If a player asked him for an honest opinion of what he thought he was worth, why would he lie to him? Why would he not try and help a kid try and get the best price he could get with the club. Hannant by all accounts is a stand up bloke, honest and the like so i think he would have just been honest and up front, I'm personally happy to have someone of that calibre in our ranks.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
If a player asked him for an honest opinion of what he thought he was worth, why would he lie to him? Why would he not try and help a kid try and get the best price he could get with the club. Hannant by all accounts is a stand up bloke, honest and the like so i think he would have just been honest and up front, I'm personally happy to have someone of that calibre in our ranks.

Ok.

Will have to agree to disagree. If any of this is true it's just more proof that the supporters are so much more passionate about this club than the players, which besides griffin, is half our problem.

But I won't continue to argue the point cos this is getting nowhere

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
Ok.

Will have to agree to disagree. If any of this is true it's just more proof that the supporters are so much more passionate about this club than the players, which besides griffin, is half our problem.

But I won't continue to argue the point cos this is getting nowhere

happy to agree to disagree. Totally agree with that point!

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Is Hannant an accountant or agent? If not, why would he be asked and why would he answer? How the heck would he know?

88to2006Glorydays

88to2006Glorydays

NYC Player
Jul 9, 2013
Is there an email address at the Broncos Hq that we can all email our disgust for the coach and let them know that we as broncos members are done settling for mediocrity and until something changes we won't be renewing our memberships. I know I speak for myself when I say that and will continue being a member but maybe if they get enough emails from members it might get the powers upstairs thinking? It's just getting to the point where another season looks like being written off and although last year you kind of accepted it because you thought that would signal the end for Hook, The rabble continues without and end in sight!

Paulw@broncos.com.au

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
I understand what you're saying and I think it sums up why our team is like they are compared to the top teams. I guarantee if a young storm player asked smith he would tell him to stay. The senior players at manly the same.

Agree to disagree haha! Although I do agree that Smith would tell the young blokes to stay at the Storm, and ditto for Manly. But they both have a genuine shot at premierships with their current rosters and coaching staff. I can't say the same for us, sadly, in 2014 at the very least. If we did, it'd be a different story - "why the hell do you want to sign with those numpties?? You'll get a premiership here, son, just buckle in and hang onto your hat!"

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Agree to disagree haha! Although I do agree that Smith would tell the young blokes to stay at the Storm, and ditto for Manly. But they both have a genuine shot at premierships with their current rosters and coaching staff. I can't say the same for us, sadly, in 2014 at the very least. If we did, it'd be a different story - "why the hell do you want to sign with those numpties?? You'll get a premiership here, son, just buckle in and hang onto your hat!"

I guarantee smith would be saying to stay whether they are the top or the bottom of the ladder. Because he is passionate about his club and a competitor. Most of our players are passionate about their paycheck and their own egos... Not so much the club

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Who the hell knows what the deal is with Hannant?

At the end of the day, Ben is one of our senior players who has been apart of the side for years being paid big bucks to run forward, tackle hard and throw the occasional pass and really at no point this season has he lived up to that price tag. At best, he showed some nice signs against the Rabbitohs...and STILL came up with a terrible error.

But but but Kennedy! Yeah, Kennedy has been shocking too, doesn't prevent Hannant's relatively poor form either.

As for this hypothetical, while theshed put forward a pretty good case to cease the discussion, I can't believe fans would actively endorse a senior player telling up and coming players to look elsewhere...especially when said player has publicly stated he wants to be a Bronco for life and loves the club. Why would you reward that player with a spot in the team especially if they're not deserving? If any coach would put up with that, they'd deserve to be sacked right on the spot.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
Who the hell knows what the deal is with Hannant?

At the end of the day, Ben is one of our senior players who has been apart of the side for years being paid big bucks to run forward, tackle hard and throw the occasional pass and really at no point this season has he lived up to that price tag. At best, he showed some nice signs against the Rabbitohs...and STILL came up with a terrible error.

But but but Kennedy! Yeah, Kennedy has been shocking too, doesn't prevent Hannant's relatively poor form either.

As for this hypothetical, while theshed put forward a pretty good case to cease the discussion, I can't believe fans would actively endorse a senior player telling up and coming players to look elsewhere...especially when said player has publicly stated he wants to be a Bronco for life and loves the club. Why would you reward that player with a spot in the team especially if they're not deserving? If any coach would put up with that, they'd deserve to be sacked right on the spot.

I highly doubt he has told them to look elsewhere what is being said is that he told them what he thought they were worth/ what their market value was when they asked him, good on him for being honest. Obviously most of these players have managers these days anyway so it was probably just some clarification if its true at all.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I feel Griffin knows Kennedy has been terrible but is sticking with him because he is a new recruit.

It's not a good look when your new big recruit is dropped 9 rounds into the season..

Edit: Wrong thread...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • theshed
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • davidp
  • Midean
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behold
  • HarryAllan7
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Ondi
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.