Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Who the hell knows what the deal is with Hannant?

At the end of the day, Ben is one of our senior players who has been apart of the side for years being paid big bucks to run forward, tackle hard and throw the occasional pass and really at no point this season has he lived up to that price tag. At best, he showed some nice signs against the Rabbitohs...and STILL came up with a terrible error.

But but but Kennedy! Yeah, Kennedy has been shocking too, doesn't prevent Hannant's relatively poor form either.

As for this hypothetical, while theshed put forward a pretty good case to cease the discussion, I can't believe fans would actively endorse a senior player telling up and coming players to look elsewhere...especially when said player has publicly stated he wants to be a Bronco for life and loves the club. Why would you reward that player with a spot in the team especially if they're not deserving? If any coach would put up with that, they'd deserve to be sacked right on the spot.

Nice to see someone else was as shocked as me Pete, thought I was losing it

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I highly doubt he has told them to look elsewhere what is being said is that he told them what he thought they were worth/ what their market value was when they asked him, good on him for being honest. Obviously most of these players have managers these days anyway so it was probably just some clarification if its true at all.

That's Paul Kent's version, the CM reported this...

One newspaper report yesterday claimed he had fallen out with Griffin because he had actively encouraged three young players not to stay at the Broncos.

Even if you stuck with Kent's version, if the prevailing thought is 'Well, you can make more money elsewhere' than why would you want to keep that player around as one of the leaders and ambassadors of your club? These players are just as responsible as other personnel at the club at keeping and attracting these players - if you're actively preventing this from happening and trying to promote players trying to scouge every penny out of the club than it simply isn't acceptable

At the end of the day, it means nothing and Polar deserves the benefit of the doubt given that he's rubbished those rumours but just speaking hypothetically, I find this type of behaviour completely unacceptable, especially from a senior player who we're actively paying a high salary and who ran out on the club at the first sign of big $$$.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
That's Paul Kent's version, the CM reported this...

Even if you stuck with Kent's version, if the prevailing thought is 'Well, you can make more money elsewhere' than why would you want to keep that player around as one of the leaders and ambassadors of your club? These players are just as responsible as other personnel at the club at keeping and attracting these players - if you're actively preventing this from happening and trying to promote players trying to scouge every penny out of the club than it simply isn't acceptable

At the end of the day, it means nothing and Polar deserves the benefit of the doubt given that he's rubbished those rumours but just speaking hypothetically, I find this type of behaviour completely unacceptable, especially from a senior player who we're actively paying a high salary and who ran out on the club at the first sign of big $$$.

Was actually Gordies version.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Either way, doesn't matter who's version it was on that show.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Hannant came out and said something along the lines of "I'm not your typical footballer in that when I head home my family comes first". J Wallace's article the other day said something like he's using this opportunity to show what he's worth because he's up for a new contract and has a young family to take care of.

Reading those two pieces of info together, and they're both direct quotes from the players, it's plausible that Hannant said something along the lines of "if you bide your time the Broncos will reward you if you're good enough. If you need the fast money right now, you may have to go elsewhere". I can see both sides of how that could be construed.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
rumours are rumours. it takes two chinese whispers to go from "hannants said to do whats best for his family" to "hannant told him to pack his bags and leave the broncos immediately!!"

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The real reason why smith would tell players to stay is because he's loyal to Bellamy.

If I remember correctly, a few years a go we were to signing arguably tr best player in the game, Greg Inglis. It fell through the because senior players talked him out of coming to the broncos due to the shitty conditions up there.

How many of these players got dropped or fired? I may be wrong but I feel like it was none. The Broncos made the intelligent decision to fire a problematic coach.

It started to feel like we're in the exact same position again (or still). I know who I'd rather be dropped out of Hannant and Hook.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
If I remember correctly, a few years a go we were to signing arguably tr best player in the game, Greg Inglis. It fell through the because senior players talked him out of coming to the broncos due to the shitty conditions up there.

Source?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I know that GI didn't accept the deal because of the apparent instability, but have never heard of senior players from the Broncos telling him to look elsewhere.

The article highlights that Henjak didn't have a conversation with GI and didn't dispell any of the rumours so despite Gee's efforts to get GI to agree to terms, it all went down hill because Henjak didn't have the foresight to talk to one of the most naturally gifted players of all time.

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
Just read an article in the courier mail online where "sturat is trying to save his coaching career and in that article is mentions that Josh Papali may want to leave because of reasons we can surmise - probably hates Stuart as everybody else does -- NOW HE WOULD BE ONE BLOKE WE COULD USE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Andrew anybody listening!!!!!!!!!!

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Just read an article in the courier mail online where "sturat is trying to save his coaching career and in that article is mentions that Josh Papali may want to leave because of reasons we can surmise - probably hates Stuart as everybody else does -- NOW HE WOULD BE ONE BLOKE WE COULD USE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

back row is the last position we need to sign players in

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

That old sneaky Sturat. Pulling strings everywhere.

images

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

NYC Player
Nov 19, 2013
back row is the last position we need to sign players in

oh ok - so now we ignore a very talented player that may come onto the market - my bet is that Thaiday will end up in the front row anyway the slower he gets so why not put him up there if and when we get a bloke like Papa and have the best of both worlds - and is Papa a better long term prospect when he is at full steam that Glenn

We have let too many blokes slip through our fingers in the last 2 years to keep messing up and miss out - Widopp - Duggen - Smith - Inglis - maybe JT - Gagai etc

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
oh ok - so now we ignore a very talented player that may come onto the market - my bet is that Thaiday will end up in the front row anyway the slower he gets so why not put him up there if and when we get a bloke like Papa and have the best of both worlds - and is Papa a better long term prospect when he is at full steam that Glenn

We have let too many blokes slip through our fingers in the last 2 years to keep messing up and miss out - Widopp - Duggen - Smith - Inglis - maybe JT - Gagai etc

We have positions that need filling before we sign yet another back rower

out of that list Inglis is the only one that actually slipped through our fingers.

Widdop got offered way overs by the Dragons and matching it would have cost us Milford, who will turn out to be a better player IMO.

Dugan showed during negotiations that he couldn't stop being a dick head long enough to sign a contract with us, besides i would prefer Barba who Dugan would have cost us.

Smith was only using us to get a bigger offer from the Storm, he was never leaving them.

JT ... see above about Smith

Gagai, was ours, but decided he could never be bothered showing up on time to training and never played as well with us because of it. if he wasn't sacked by us he would still be kicking around in the lower grades, particularly due to his poor attitude. us sacking him was the kick up the ass he needed. but apparently still hasn't completely learned after missing an emerging origin camp session.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
As long as Papalii accepted a lesser figure to play alongside Tony and play at home I wouldn't say no to him.

It's bit of a pipe dream tho. No way would the Raiders ever release Papalii to join us, no way.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Papalii has been down on form, but he'll be the best edge back rower in the world soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• broncotville
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.