Sam Kasiano

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t-to-play-origin/story-e6frepbx-1226410500366

"The Kasiano situation has caused us to review these current eligibility criteria and our management team is working with NZRL to determine what changes if any need to be made. Have no doubt however that we understand and will preserve the integrity of State of Origin."

OHHHHHHH So the kasiano situation was the straw that broke the camels back?! Not Tamou.... oh no.... that was ok. But as soon as QLD even consider picking someone in the same boat its time to change the rules.

**** I HATE NSW

So you're not allowed to play for QLD or NSW if you're of NZ or polynesian descent, i dont think thats what it really means but fmd the wording of this story really shits me off

So you're not allowed to play for QLD or NSW if you're of NZ or polynesian descent, i dont think thats what it really means but fmd the wording of this story really shits me off

And this is absolutely the problem. The very notion that if you were born and brought up in NZ means you can't possibly consider yourself a Queenslander/Cockroach is ludicrous.

Putting aside my belief that they should be able to represent NZ and a state, even if eligibility for a state means being available for Australia only, why is this still a problem? How friggin' hard is it to get players when they sign their first contract to commit their allegiances, document them, register them and then that's it, you stick to that decision.

That's all they need to do. The problem is that it seems players can change their minds if they're approached by a certain party, whether that be NZ, Australia, England, NSW or QLD.

Exactly. Do you think Jack Reed grew up wanting to represent the Old Dart? I bet he supported QLD and cheered on Australia whenever they played England/G.B. However, when the opportunity arrose, he probably thought he was more chance (and rightly so) of represnting England than QLD/Australia. I bet if he were available for QLD he'd have been picked this series.

Again it's ridiculous that this issue is discussed with/about a player at the time they're pressing for selection. A document should be registered with the ARLC and IRLF from said player from his first contract answering Major International Team Allegiance, Minnow International Team Allegiance (if applicable), Provincial Team Allegiance (if applicable). Signed, dated, witnessed, job done.

Obviously there would also be supporting documentation (birth certificates, immigration certificates, parent's birth certificates, playing history etc) to justify eligibility for those allegiances.

So then when that player is pressing for selection, said rep coach/selector can enquire about an individual player's eligibility and see in plain black and white whether they are available.

None of this "well, he was born in England, lived in Sydney from the age of 4 to 11, then Brisbane from 11 to 15, and Auckland from 15 to 21...so we can entice him to play for England on birth right, Australia on residency, QLD on first senior football, NSW on most time spent or New Zealand on residency grounds"...

\

Welcome to last month :P

haha.. whoops! Hopefully some people hadn't seen it .. or perhaps I am the last person in QLD to have seen it.. some one obviously spent a bit of time putting that together, must have really wanted to get their message across hey? :)

Exactly right QUEENSLANDER - you should see all the crap floating around in the NSW papers, one column called QLD "Mal Meninga and his Pacific All Stars"...

Also, why are people on here still using the term "such and such wasn't BORN in NSW/QLD??? It has NEVER been birth or Origin, are people here confused or ignorant?

Again it's ridiculous that this issue is discussed with/about a player at the time they're pressing for selection. A document should be registered with the ARLC and IRLF from said player from his first contract answering Major International Team Allegiance, Minnow International Team Allegiance (if applicable), Provincial Team Allegiance (if applicable). Signed, dated, witnessed, job done.

+1.

Coxy, while I disagree with your opinion that we should let NZ born players play Origin, I do agree that it's as simple as signing a piece of paper at a certain age (17 seems a good number off the top of my head), and unless said player gets citizenship in another country (not ALREADY hold dual citizenship), that's their State/Country forever.

That's the whole irony of the video some NSW fool put together (which I posted on the previous page) - they are just plain hypocrites and want to turn attention away from their own sinister ways by always trying to make out QLD are cheaters some how. What you say is absolutely right, it's never been about where ever they are born and NSW are the ones who made the damn rules....

Also, why are people on here still using the term "such and such wasn't BORN in NSW/QLD??? It has NEVER been birth or Origin, are people here confused or ignorant?

+1.

Coxy, while I disagree with your opinion that we should let NZ born players play Origin, I do agree that it's as simple as signing a piece of paper at a certain age (17 seems a good number off the top of my head), and unless said player gets citizenship in another country (not ALREADY hold dual citizenship), that's their State/Country forever.

To be honest, even if they get citizenship in another country they should still have to represent the country they first nominated.
I could almost stomach a right to appeal to an international tribunal to change allegiance under the proviso that they had not yet represented the country they signed to be aligned to. But that would still open up the potential for people to switch allegiance simply because they get approached by someone else - which is really what the whole problem is about.

My belief that NZ reps should, if qualified under QLD/NSW eligibility, play Origin would still be a possible future addition under this "sign your allegiance" plan, it would just only apply to players registering from that point on. I think in time, given Australia's growing multi-ethnicity, people will realise state allegiance isn't intertwined with Australian allegiance, but I don't think people are "there" yet.

As usual I'm about 5-10 years ahead of the game.

The only problem we have now is players born overseas (namely NZ) not Aus born players. The problem is NZs to fix, not ours.

All they have to do is name a NZ B side every year and send them somewhere,(PNG FIJI etc). Problem solved, all there up and comers will be forced to make a decision before they are even considered for an origin place and are tempted to change there minds.

NZ are planning their own origin concept. I hope it happens. Might help with the likes of Tamou and Kasiano jumping ship

Last edited:
To be honest, even if they get citizenship in another country they should still have to represent the country they first nominated.
I could almost stomach a right to appeal to an international tribunal to change allegiance under the proviso that they had not yet represented the country they signed to be aligned to. But that would still open up the potential for people to switch allegiance simply because they get approached by someone else - which is really what the whole problem is about.

My belief that NZ reps should, if qualified under QLD/NSW eligibility, play Origin would still be a possible future addition under this "sign your allegiance" plan, it would just only apply to players registering from that point on. I think in time, given Australia's growing multi-ethnicity, people will realise state allegiance isn't intertwined with Australian allegiance, but I don't think people are "there" yet.

As usual I'm about 5-10 years ahead of the game.

So you have no problems telling a foreign-born Australian, that they indeed aren't Australian and can't represent their new country?

That's very archaic for someone who's so advanced..... ;)

TBF, I think if someone has lived in a country for 5 years, regardless of who they did play for if they chose to become Australian I wouldn't be upset. Say for an example, Benji Marshall takes the citizenship test and then denounces his NZ citizenship, he can play for QLD, as he would no longer be a dual citizen. That's such a huge decision for any person to make and IMO shows someone who is more worthy of being Australian than the vast majority of wasters we have in our country now.

why dont we just scrap everything and choose 2 captains and then they just pick 16 other players each and have at it for 3 games a year? thats essentially what some suggestions are sounding like.

kiwis dont belong in origin, simple as that.

why dont we just scrap everything and choose 2 captains and then they just pick 16 other players each and have at it for 3 games a year? thats essentially what some suggestions are sounding like.

kiwis dont belong in origin, simple as that.

Define kiwi...

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Tim K
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • Bish
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Pablo
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • BroncosAlways
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.