Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
This is all just really sad now.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
They must be some really padded seats around that table, because the amount of butthurt there was palpable.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Who the hell do some of these " journalists " , and I use that term very loosely, think they are demanding he be offered up to the media.

Yep, what he did was unforgivable and shocking, but are we getting demands for serial offenders like Dugan, Fatfita etc to be offered up to the media so they can attempt to rip them apart.

I'd actually look to piss the media off by conducting an in house interview with him and then releasing it.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
What amazes me in all this is the Broncos are copping it for something lodge did whilst at the tigers two years ago. We have two convicted criminals and any number of minor miscreants playing the game (not to mention the ones who get it swept under the carpet) and now the broncos are the bad guys.
I, like a few others would like the nrl to set the bar high morally for our players. But the shear hipocracy being thrown about one player at one club defies all credibility.
If they want this discussion, be prepared for a lot of clubs (in a lot of other sports too) to feel the burn. It's like he is the first player to have been in trouble, he's not!
When ex footballers start throwing mud (knowing they were in the thick of it), safe that theirs has dried, I feel enraged.
Some have had rape allegations, others domestic violence, some had serious drug abuse and were implicated in sexual abuse, but rich men with big pockets let them get away with it. They take the moral high ground whilst supporting binge drinking and "partying" like it's the done thing. For footballers maybe, but the rest of us grow up, knuckle down, and learn a thing called self-dicipline. Something that seems lacking in both football, but also the media culture.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
What amazes me in all this is the Broncos are copping it for something lodge did whilst at the tigers two years ago. We have two convicted criminals and any number of minor miscreants playing the game (not to mention the ones who get it swept under the carpet) and now the broncos are the bad guys.
I, like a few others would like the nrl to set the bar high morally for our players. But the shear hipocracy being thrown about one player at one club defies all credibility.
If they want this discussion, be prepared for a lot of clubs (in a lot of other sports too) to feel the burn. It's like he is the first player to have been in trouble, he's not!
When ex footballers start throwing mud (knowing they were in the thick of it), safe that theirs has dried, I feel enraged.
Some have had rape allegations, others domestic violence, some had serious drug abuse and were implicated in sexual abuse, but rich men with big pockets let them get away with it. They take the moral high ground whilst supporting binge drinking and "partying" like it's the done thing. For footballers maybe, but the rest of us grow up, knuckle down, and learn a thing called self-dicipline. Something that seems lacking in both football, but also the media culture.

Not to mention Newcastle hasn't copped anything and they tried to sign him too.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
What do these morons expect the Broncos to do? Sack him? Fine him? Suspend him? The incident happened 3 years ago and he's been at the club 3 months. Why are we copping all the flack? The entire incident had literally nothing to do with us

He's already been sacked. He's been to court. He's been in jail. He's been to rehab. He's been banned from the NRL for 2 years. What more do they want?

This whole thing is 100% fueled by the media trying to get a little piece of Bennett and the Broncos after 30 years of toying with them and refusing to play their childish games.

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
and on apparently 400k
Imagine if knights did sign him, how awesome it would be for the knights to get Lodge.
And plus we haven't heard a negative word about Pearce since he has gone to the knights.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

and they offered him a significantly higher contract than we did ... which NRL 360 tried you use to imply (yet again) that there are questions about our salary cap ... the media refuse to believe that someone would make a decision about their career based on something other than money.

Maybe Lodge decided to repay us for the support we have shown him over the last few years ... while other clubs waited until he was cleared to return before getting involved.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
And they offered him $400k. At least we're making him earn a pay day!

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Who the hell do some of these " journalists " , and I use that term very loosely, think they are demanding he be offered up to the media.

Yep, what he did was unforgivable and shocking, but are we getting demands for serial offenders like Dugan, Fatfita etc to be offered up to the media so they can attempt to rip them apart.

I'd actually look to piss the media off by conducting an in house interview with him and then releasing it.

Have they forgotten his 2 hour interview with Fox Sports own Yvonne Sampson already, or are they simply choosing to ignore the fact that he has already spoken to the media over this?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Have they forgotten his 2 hour interview with Fox Sports own Yvonne Sampson already, or are they simply choosing to ignore the fact that he has already spoken to the media over this?

their problem is that Yvonne didn't do a hatchet job on him ... and that is all they're after

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Regardless......
Matt Lodge will be playing for the Broncos this year.
I am a Broncos supporter and season ticket holder and will be at every game at Lang Park this year.
As such I will be supporting Matt Lodge the footballer and know he will help us into the finals.
The journalists can go and **** themselves.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
And with that 360 piece I can now concede things are going too far. I stand by my original comments at the time but it’s crossing a line now.

I don’t agree necessarily with the NRL registering his contract but they did and the broncos did all they were required to do according to the NRL. If we didn’t sign him, a number of other NRL clubs would have anyway. The personal attacks on White and Bennett are out of line.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

The only relevant part of this entire clip is the last 10 seconds. The NRL allows us to register players like Lodge because of our track record, how many "trouble makers" have come here and got worse? It's the same thing with James Roberts, yes, he had a slip up or two in his first year here, but now look at him, hasn't put a step wrong since, is playing great footy and is looking at being possibly picked in Origin this year.

If he had those same slip ups at ANY Sydney club it probably would've fucked his career, likely would've been sacked by whichever club he was playing for, which in turn would've made him turn to the grog even more, and it probably would've just spiralled to the point that he'd be playing french rugby right now or something.

Maybe I only have this view on the situation because it benefits the Broncos, who knows. Justin Hodges came back to the Broncos as a trouble maker and ended up being a club captain and great ambassador for the game, Darius Boyd was viewed as a shithead by the media and NRL community before he came back to the Broncos, now he's our captain. You can't argue with the track record of us turning 50/50 careers in to 100 careers.

Active Now

• Painin the Haas
  • Dexter
  • Culhwch
  • Maroon4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Allo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.