PLAYER Selwyn Cobbo

My biggest problem with Selwyn is I don't think playing football is his number 1 priority in life and do we really want a player on the books for decent money whose number 1 priority isn't playing football?
Not a great take. You work to live, not live to work. Its ok to be excited about your work but the whole #1 priority thing doesn't wash with me.

It should be their #1 priority - when they're working. It should be a passion outside of work (ergo Reece watching every game) that they take back to .... work,

Regardless of anything else going on with him, he's simply not professional enough. A bit like Walsh, he gets a lot of leeway because of his age, but he's another in his 4th year of NRL with almost 70 games under his belt. People cant keep using the rookie card with him.

Not a great take. You work to live, not live to work. Its ok to be excited about your work but the whole #1 priority thing doesn't wash with me.

It should be their #1 priority - when they're working. It should be a passion outside of work (ergo Reece watching every game) that they take back to .... work,

Its not really a job FFS.
It's supposed to be their passion.
They're supposed to enjoy doing it.

Sport is a leisure past-time that they are extremely fortunate enough to get paid shit loads of money for.

At Selwyn's age...if playing footy for the shit loads of money he gets isn't his number 1 priority...... he should get another "job".

Sport is a leisure past-time that they are extremely fortunate enough to get paid shit loads of money for.

At Selwyn's age...if playing footy for the shit loads of money he gets isn't his number 1 priority...... he should get another "job".
It’s crazy to think he went through all his schooling life wanting to play football and now that he gets paid to do it, he doesn’t want it. What are his other career options at this point, get a trade?

It’s crazy to think he went through all his schooling life wanting to play football and now that he gets paid to do it, he doesn’t want it. What are his other career options at this point, get a trade?
What makes anyone think he doesn't want it? Lol. Can't applying city logic to a kid who grew up in an indigenous community. He has alot of slack from me despite how frustrating his mid season fades have been.

Selwyn conducts himself very well considering what he would have endured growing up in that town.

What makes anyone think he doesn't want it? Lol. Can't applying city logic to a kid who grew up in an indigenous community. He has alot of slack from me despite how frustrating his mid season fades have been.

Selwyn conducts himself very well considering what he would have endured growing up in that town.
For a bloke who doesn't want to do it/enjoy it he does it alot with a smile on his face, pretty much won us the Manly game on his own and was running over blokes for fun at the start of the year.. love to see what he can do when he loves and wants to do it.

But on a serious note this is just a wild guess but I think he needs to pick better people he hangs around outside of football. Going by the podcast he did he seems like he could be hanging round some dropkicks.
Could be totally wrong but hanging around people with no drive you'll start following their route.

Why does he always want to go back to that town for some time out from football? Or is that just some rumour?

For a bloke who doesn't want to do it/enjoy it he does it alot with a smile on his face, pretty much won us the Manly game on his own and was running over blokes for fun at the start of the year.. love to see what he can do when he loves and wants to do it.

But on a serious note this is just a wild guess but I think he needs to pick better people he hangs around outside of football. Going by the podcast he did he seems like he could be hanging round some dropkicks.
Could be totally wrong but hanging around people with no drive you'll start following their route.

He's a bit of a Dave Taylor in that he loves playing on match days but doesnt put in the hard yards in training.

Why does he always want to go back to that town for some time out from football? Or is that just some rumour?
Well it's his home. The same reason we all get some respite going home.

For him it's familiar, away from the NRL stardom, the big city life and all of its challenges.

I hope the club works with him and he becomes the elite athlete he was born to be.

Yeah, enjoying a game of bush footy is different to being a committed professional athlete
He's a bit of a Dave Taylor in that he loves playing on match days but doesnt put in the hard yards in training.
100% correct. Sometimes it's like it's the most talented that put in the lesser amount of work because they have spent their life not needing to.

Nothing yet. Leave it with me. Last I heard when this thread was started was that they’re essentially babying him and allowing the behaviour. Schoolboy stuff.

My worries aren’t for current Selwyn anyway. It’s the future if he doesn’t start taking this seriously.
My man @Cult copped a lot of flak for his posts earlier in this thread, but hindsight is making it look like he was on the money. #Nostradamus#

I'm sorry but for a lot of players it is a job. That's the reality. We as fans who love the game can put our lenses on it ,but if you talk to players there's many that treat it like a job, and a paycheck.

Players like Reece who apparently obsessively watches and studies the game, are not the majority.

It's his job. What else is he doing? Even better if you love doing your job, but it's a job.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Midean
  • Shane Tronc
  • Hurrijo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Dreaglor
  • BooKhaki
  • Porthoz
  • theshed
  • Spooky1013
  • Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • broncsgoat
  • Rambstien
  • Justwin
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.