Sexual assault allegation

M

Major JW Hochstetter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
michael22 said:
Looking good for 2008 finals campaign at the very least.

Result-wise it may, but i'm personally not all that interested in results at this point in time, rather nervously hoping for the club to take all the correct measures to ensure the club's image and reputation remain as intact as possible. At the moment I still have major doubts as to whether permitting those under investigation to play is a wise move, but we shall see.

BroncoMatt

BroncoMatt

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Abe The Cop said:
Weren't Seymour, costigasn et al. serial offenders, and thus on their last chance when they were sacked?

That's Correct.

In fact Costigan "Helped police with enquiries" in relation with a rape case several years before he was sacked.

M

michael22

BRL Player
Sep 15, 2008
Belinda Neal & John Dellabosca were allowed to remain in Government while under investigation for the Iguana-gate affair.

They are public figures, just as the Broncos are.

Why should these players be treated any differently?

A

andirect

BRL Player
Sep 14, 2008
well, it now comes down to whether the broncos deem the players to be in breach of the code of conduct. extremely unlikely any charges will be laid this week. i imagine there will be a full strength team on the weekend.

D

Draught4me

Mar 13, 2008
I think we can all agree that nobody is happy with the situation, but there are two distinct issues here. The law, and the Club. All morals aside (as they should be) they probably dont have anything to answer to as far as the law is concerned, and in fact the person who took the video has probably done everybody a favour in respect that any stories can be verified.
However the Club is a different issue, and one that I'm happy to leave it to the people we pay to make the hard decisions. If all 3/4 get delisted, then so be it. The world wont stop turning, if they do nothing, then that's ok as well. I trust them to make the right decision for the Club - as they have for the last 20 years.
Cheers.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
michael22 said:
Just read on rugbyleaguelive.com that all players will be playing this weekend, and the police investigation will take weeks. Looking good for 2008 finals campaign at the very least.

The club will either drop/sack/suspend these players for breaching the code of conduct or whatever, now, or not at all. The club can't be in a position where they say, 'yep these players breached our code of conduct but they can play finals footy and we'll sack them later depending on what the cops say.'

M

michael22

BRL Player
Sep 15, 2008
The Rock said:
michael22 said:
Belinda Neal & John Dellabosca were allowed to remain in Government while under investigation for the Iguana-gate affair.

They are public figures, just as the Broncos are.

Why should these players be treated any differently?

Dude seriously. Don't compare the 2!

Different business, different agenda, completely different environment, different EVERYTHING!

Look I agree - IMO, if they have not broken any code of conduct then they should not be stood down unless the police charge the players. But stop comparing stupid things.

The only thing that's not different is the principle - innocent until proven guilty.

They should suffer no repurcussions of these ALLEGATIONS until they are proven, just as everyone is entitled to in all walks of life.

It should be an open and shut issue.

That is the point i was trying to make with the comparison.

A

Astroboy

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
The Rock said:
Hard to say if a sacking is appropriate or not because we don't know if each individual player is guilty. I mean, 2 of them could be innocent, 1 of them might be the one who caused the trouble, and maybe it'll only be him that will be dealt with. We don't know.

That's why I said "if this story is true..." I suppose the rest of my post sort of assumes that's the case, but maybe there's some chance that it's not - that instead this is a massive media beatup by someone/someones who hate the Broncos and want to destabilise them and distract them from the finals. I would be very happy if that turned out to be the case, I just happen to think that with all that's been said so far, it's unlikely. We can always hope...

Maybe as some have said standing them down until investigations are complete is the way to go. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with that, though can understand the "innocent until proven guilty" argument. We may lose the next game, and the premiership, but the honour and reputation of the club would remain intact. Even if their alleged behaviour is not illegal, it is IMO not befitting of members of the Brisbane Broncos team and, if found to have happened, must be dealt with harshly. There is an opportunity here for the Broncos management to show some courage in upholding the values that this club frequently claims publicly to have and that have won them many supporters. I have a feeling that in years to come the level of respect and admiration for the Broncos will be defined by how they deal with this.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
On the radio Judy Spence said it will take the police several weeks for this to be resolved.

I will see if there is a link.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
THORN12 said:
gUt said:
It begins, a mate of mine who is a Parra supporter has copped it from me all year. Just now he's served it up to me bigtime. mmm humble pie.

I've been copping it since yesterday from Manly supporters, saying my team are filthy dogs and how can I support them?

Mmm, just had a lunch at the pub. All the jokes being bandied around already ... [icon_ee

As for other clubs paying us out, we gotta cop it on the chin sweet because we've always been high and mighty about our boys [icon_non

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
I have a 2006 premiership poster of locky and K on my wall... staring at Karmichael is annoying me. I used to like looking at his ugly mug, now: not so much.

A

andirect

BRL Player
Sep 14, 2008
the broncos haven't officially name their team as far as i know. i think that'll be the telling point. they won't name them if they've broken to code of conduct.

A

Aeetee

State of Origin Rep
Mar 4, 2008
michael22 said:
Just read on rugbyleaguelive.com that all players will be playing this weekend, and the police investigation will take weeks. Looking good for 2008 finals campaign at the very least.

What do you mean just read, a few of us mentioned that that was going to be the case. icon_thumbs_u

M

michael22

BRL Player
Sep 15, 2008
Aeetee said:
michael22 said:

What do you mean just read, a few of us mentioned that that was going to be the case. icon_thumbs_u

Yeah but having the head of Queensland police come out and say it makes it a little more official haha.

I'd go so far as to say the underlying tone of her statement was that she personally didn't want any charges to be issued!

T

THORN12

NYC Player
Mar 4, 2008
andirect said:
the broncos haven't officially name their team as far as i know. i think that'll be the telling point. they won't name them if they've broken to code of conduct.

Didn't they just name an unchanged side?

M

michael22

BRL Player
Sep 15, 2008
THORN12 said:
andirect said:

Didn't they just name an unchanged side?

Pretty sure I saw that too.

NRL Teams tonight anyway, so we'll see there. A statement will have to be made by the club this afternoon you would think?

Unread

Active Now

• Broncs1459
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.