State of Origin 2023 - Game I Discussion

With 9 minutes to go I was beginning to lament all the errors Queensland had made up until that point. NSW didn't deserve the lead but with both wingers off the field, Gilbert injured, Flegler in the bin and NSW in an attacking position it was looking very dicey.

Then Queensland pulled off arguably their greatest houdini act in Origin history. Not only do they regain possession, but they win early momentum. They shift the ball right, to set up a long shift left and Munster in a moment of brilliance backs himself against the make-shift centre pairing and Hamiso pulled off one of the all-time great finishes to give Queensland this unbelievable lead.

Up until that point, it had been a strange game. NSW got their pants pulled down early and it appeared a couple of their selections gambles had backfired spectacularly. Then Gilbert does his shoulder, Queensland get penalised in possession and it's only a couple of unbelievable try-savers from Taulagi that kept them in it.

When NSW finally turned to Murray, Paulo and Martin they found their rhythm and looked far more dangerous. Meanwhile all the interchange drama, possession and territory had taken their toll on Queensland. Even Harry Grant who has taken to Origin like a duck to water just looked out of sorts because everybody was gassed.

Second half it looked like Queensland were going to up the ante and use the ball inside their own half. It looked like it was going to pay off and they were beginning to make some inroads before disaster struck with Val. It seemed obvious Atkins was just going to back Klein's call no matter what so after getting the Frizell & cross-field kick decision, the Maroons had to take their medicine.

I thought the Maroons did well to regroup. It would have been easy to concede another or lose the plot after the 40/20 didn't result in anything but they just kept turning up. When Cotter pounced on TPJ's loose offload, I liked that the Maroons didn't waste anytime and were creative with the footy. The balls on Reece Walsh to not only throw a no look pass, but do it against Stephen Crichton and absolutely nail it on debut is insane. Then to top it off, Cobbo somehow absorbs the impact of two guys travelling at speed to stay in field and plant it down.

You always know when Cobbo's scored because he can't help but smile.

I'm with all you guys that my favourite moment was the Munster try. Not only because it sealed the win, but I just loved how the players recognised the effort Collins made. That summed it up for me, the forwards worked their asses off and the backs were there to nail the few opportunities they had.

Nothing is ever going to top 1994 but nearly 30 years later, it's in that ball-park for me.

Their forwards won from what I saw though, they had more ball in the right areas.

The issue for them wasn't forwards it was their spine, especially Tedesco at fullback but also Cleary not asking enough questions.

Tedesco was a liability in defence and wasn't involved at all in attack other then killing it with a selfish run.

This combinations nonsense NSW dribbles on about is a joke, unless you have the full team and basically the coach of the team your basing it on it's not going to work in Origin.

Origin requires players who can function in Adlib situations, highly structured players like Cleary look lost when taken out of Penrith, he looked average playing for the Roos as well.

They Also just don't get Origin.

I finished watching it again and i dont think their forwards were better than ours tbh, but you are right, their playmakers didnt get the job done.

With 9 minutes to go I was beginning to lament all the errors Queensland had made up until that point. NSW didn't deserve the lead but with both wingers off the field, Gilbert injured, Flegler in the bin and NSW in an attacking position it was looking very dicey.

Then Queensland pulled off arguably their greatest houdini act in Origin history. Not only do they regain possession, but they win early momentum. They shift the ball right, to set up a long shift left and Munster in a moment of brilliance backs himself against the make-shift centre pairing and Hamiso pulled off one of the all-time great finishes to give Queensland this unbelievable lead.

Up until that point, it had been a strange game. NSW got their pants pulled down early and it appeared a couple of their selections gambles had backfired spectacularly. Then Gilbert does his shoulder, Queensland get penalised in possession and it's only a couple of unbelievable try-savers from Taulagi that kept them in it.

When NSW finally turned to Murray, Paulo and Martin they found their rhythm and looked far more dangerous. Meanwhile all the interchange drama, possession and territory had taken their toll on Queensland. Even Harry Grant who has taken to Origin like a duck to water just looked out of sorts because everybody was gassed.

Second half it looked like Queensland were going to up the ante and use the ball inside their own half. It looked like it was going to pay off and they were beginning to make some inroads before disaster struck with Val. It seemed obvious Atkins was just going to back Klein's call no matter what so after getting the Frizell & cross-field kick decision, the Maroons had to take their medicine.

I thought the Maroons did well to regroup. It would have been easy to concede another or lose the plot after the 40/20 didn't result in anything but they just kept turning up. When Cotter pounced on TPJ's loose offload, I liked that the Maroons didn't waste anytime and were creative with the footy. The balls on Reece Walsh to not only throw a no look pass, but do it against Stephen Crichton and absolutely nail it on debut is insane. Then to top it off, Cobbo somehow absorbs the impact of two guys travelling at speed to stay in field and plant it down.

You always know when Cobbo's scored because he can't help but smile.

I'm with all you guys that my favourite moment was the Munster try. Not only because it sealed the win, but I just loved how the players recognised the effort Collins made. That summed it up for me, the forwards worked their asses off and the backs were there to nail the few opportunities they had.

Nothing is ever going to top 1994 but nearly 30 years later, it's in that ball-park for me.

Watching the game again, i think Fifita is going under the radar a little. Thought he was very good. Looks a lot more disciplined this year.

Watching the game again, i think Fifita is going under the radar a little. Thought he was very good. Looks a lot more disciplined this year.
He's been playing well all year. Doing the little things that people were accusing him of shirking in previous years.

I think Foran has been really good for Dave, constantly keeping him engaged and not letting him float in and out of games.

And Hammers defence was incredible, 15 tackles no misses.

Considering Centre is probably the hardest position in the game to complete your tackle.

Val on the other hand had 5 misses and looked a bit of a liability at times.

In a pack that played itself to a standstill, the fact he blended in so well is a testament to him. His numbers are definitely more impressive than I realised.

I thought Dave finished the game strongly. He went looking for the ball.

Was a bit quiet in the 1st half.

I dunno...I thought he held his own. He did some good things as well

Did we miss Gagai?

not at all.

I dunno...I thought he held his own. He did some good things as well

Did we miss Gagai?

not at all.
In Attack he wasn't bad, in defence he missed a few key tackles, including the hole he left for Martin to score in.

And Hammers defence was incredible, 15 tackles no misses.

Considering Centre is probably the hardest position in the game to complete your tackle.

Using not missing tackles to talk about defence. No place for you.

In Attack he wasn't bad, in defence he missed a few key tackles, including the hole he left for Martin to score in.
The damage had already been done, it was 2-1 with Queensland short on numbers.

For mine this was the incident:

Even if it was an accident, the blatant disregard is just so classless.

I will always be livid that nothing came of that. It just makes an absolute mockery of all this player welfare nonsense. Accidental head clash - sin bin. Deliberately step on someone's head - all good, play on.

On a different note, I don't know if anyone else sees it because they are such different physiques but Hammer's running style reminds me of GI.

He's having subtle digs at me because i dont think you define an origin player by stats 😆
The stats pretty much just confirm what it looked like live though, the left was solid defensively where as the right looked weaker.

Collins on the other hand with 5 misses didn't feel like that live.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Culhwch
  • bb_gun
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncsNBundy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • The True King
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • Bish
  • Aldo
  • winslow_wong
  • leon.bott
  • FACTHUNT
  • Strop
  • Manlyman
  • mrslong
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.