NOT CROSS FORUM State of Origin - Game 2 Discussion

It did, and does. She's not my manager on paper, the last two team leader intakes she hasn't been able to be involved in employing her own staff, she can't approve my bonus, she can't hold my reviews, can't hold any serious meetings with me, and is not able to make decisions about me.

You can't mitigate the risk with a league match where the ref and emotional bias is involved.
So Qld rugby league can’t hire any former ref because they’re all in on it!

Which is true if you didn’t have other refs helping clubs and in fact, NSW. It may be a legit conflict of interest but you can’t have one rule for one group but different rules for everyone else.

But hey, this is the NRL, so competency and legitimacy are not guilty by association.

Of course you can have different rules for non family members and other rules for family members.

Common sense approach to conflict of interest is usually a pretty good one, you just need to have the common sense to apply it. It can't not ever happen, but it's a process in a business that takes time and runs through many heads before sign-offs can happen, so by next year, they might have a plan to deal with it.

I guess what I’m saying by that is it happens all the time whereby such COI’s come up and are ignored/mitigated.

PS. Your logic is annoying! Probably because you’re right and I’m wrong. Poohead.

pssst.....put shit on his dog. That'll shut the **** up. 😉

pssst.....put shit on his dog. That'll shut the **** up. 😉

You said Churro was a rat, so I can only assume you mean Echo?

Echo looks to be a nice dog.......thumbs up from me. Although, perched like that on the couch(?)....the canine discipline in your house continues to appear to be non-existent.

Was giving the "other one" the benefit of doubt........ 🙃

why do the NRL all of a sudden care about the appearance of bias ... this is an organisation that on many many occasions appointed a former player to officiate a match involving a club he played 225 matches for.

P.s. Bernard Sutton reportedly holds a consultancy position with the Melbourne Storm ... the NRL apparently have no issues with this

Paul Green says:

“How isn’t this unfair? I can’t believe how the NRL has managed this. To actually ring a person and say if you continue to work for Queensland, your brother won’t get the job.

“You can’t say that. That questions his integrity straight away.

“I wanted him in camp because we just wanted a ref’s interpretation of how the ruck was going to be managed. I just wanted some help around the communication with the refs and when they make calls, what do they expect from us etc.

“We had Bernie in camp just to help us from that point of view.

“Bernard doesn’t work for the NRL anymore, so why do we have to disclose that? I didn’t disclose that Gavin Allen is our team manager and that Cliff Mallett is working with us, why should we have to? There’s no conflict of interest.

“Bernard works outside the NRL. Just because his brother is a ref, are they suggesting Gerard will ref differently (if Bernard is involved with the Maroons)?”

Bernard Sutton says

“I initiated contact with Andrew (Abdo),” Sutton said. “I’d read some of his comments before game one. I asked him what the implications were of me being involved with the Maroons.

“He was very clear that he wasn’t telling me what I can or can’t do.

“However he did express the NRL had concerns about the perception it can create.

“He said that would need to be a consideration for the appointments committee.

“I knew if I decided to continue it could go against Gerard being appointed. It could have cost him the role. It’s his primary employment and it’s a secondary role for me.”

Bernard Sutton explained his role in Origin I.

“I was a technical consultant,” he said. “Simple as that. I was just educating them around what they can and can’t do around the ruck area, trying to reduce the six-again calls.

“Same as I do for Melbourne Storm … how do we not concede six-agains.”

Andrew Abdo says:

Bernard Sutton has decided not to consult to the Queensland team while his brother is refereeing Origin,” he said.

“Gerry Sutton did an outstanding job officiating Game I. There’s certainly no complaints about his performance or any suggestion that Bernard’s role impacted his refereeing. They are both respected professionals.

“That said, I think Bernard has done the right thing in removing any potential perceived conflict and I commend him for that.

“It’s not uncommon for former referees to play a consulting role with Origin squads but I understand the concerns some people may have when one of the consultants is the referee’s brother. We weren’t aware of that prior to Game I.”

Good old Gus positioning himself to be ‘right’ regardless of how Reece Walsh fares - on one hand labelling the decision to pick him ‘disgusting’ and on the other hand saying he hopes the kid scores five tries and stops five more..

Get ready for a “I knew this would happen…” at around the 60 minute mark on Sunday regardless of the score or Walsh’s own play.

Good old Gus positioning himself to be ‘right’ regardless of how Reece Walsh fares - on one hand labelling the decision to pick him ‘disgusting’ and on the other hand saying he hopes the kid scores five tries and stops five more..

Get ready for a “I knew this would happen…” at around the 60 minute mark on Sunday regardless of the score or Walsh’s own play.
How about sterlo saying Coates is one of the best wingers in the game and can’t believe he wasn’t selected 🤣

Paul Green says:

“How isn’t this unfair? I can’t believe how the NRL has managed this. To actually ring a person and say if you continue to work for Queensland, your brother won’t get the job.

“You can’t say that. That questions his integrity straight away.

“I wanted him in camp because we just wanted a ref’s interpretation of how the ruck was going to be managed. I just wanted some help around the communication with the refs and when they make calls, what do they expect from us etc.

“We had Bernie in camp just to help us from that point of view.

“Bernard doesn’t work for the NRL anymore, so why do we have to disclose that? I didn’t disclose that Gavin Allen is our team manager and that Cliff Mallett is working with us, why should we have to? There’s no conflict of interest.

“Bernard works outside the NRL. Just because his brother is a ref, are they suggesting Gerard will ref differently (if Bernard is involved with the Maroons)?”

Bernard Sutton says

“I initiated contact with Andrew (Abdo),” Sutton said. “I’d read some of his comments before game one. I asked him what the implications were of me being involved with the Maroons.

“He was very clear that he wasn’t telling me what I can or can’t do.

“However he did express the NRL had concerns about the perception it can create.

“He said that would need to be a consideration for the appointments committee.

“I knew if I decided to continue it could go against Gerard being appointed. It could have cost him the role. It’s his primary employment and it’s a secondary role for me.”

Bernard Sutton explained his role in Origin I.

“I was a technical consultant,” he said. “Simple as that. I was just educating them around what they can and can’t do around the ruck area, trying to reduce the six-again calls.

“Same as I do for Melbourne Storm … how do we not concede six-agains.”

Andrew Abdo says:

Bernard Sutton has decided not to consult to the Queensland team while his brother is refereeing Origin,” he said.

“Gerry Sutton did an outstanding job officiating Game I. There’s certainly no complaints about his performance or any suggestion that Bernard’s role impacted his refereeing. They are both respected professionals.

“That said, I think Bernard has done the right thing in removing any potential perceived conflict and I commend him for that.

“It’s not uncommon for former referees to play a consulting role with Origin squads but I understand the concerns some people may have when one of the consultants is the referee’s brother. We weren’t aware of that prior to Game I.”

Totally amateurish, how has Vlandys even become so high up in anything? He is useless and surrounds himself with useless yes men.

Echo looks to be a nice dog.......thumbs up from me. Although, perched like that on the couch(?)....the canine discipline in your house continues to appear to be non-existent.

Was giving the "other one" the benefit of doubt........ 🙃

Hey she sits when she's told to. So long as she wants to too.

If the NRL were worried about a conflict of interest then they wouldn't let Gerard Sutton ref Storm games.

Its quite surreal......that its happening...and we're just expected to swallow it.

I get the actual ruling, but not when it flies in the face of other obvious contradictions.

They are being so blatant in their one rule for us and another for you......

As a QLD'r....how do they think this will go down? Maybe thats it
....they think we can't put on a show, so they need to fire us up?

What fuckheads......

“It’s an image of Jarome Luai standing over Felise Kaufusi, basically screaming. I don’t know if he’s berating him.

“It’s done the rounds with a few of the old boys and they are not happy about it, suggesting this is the arrogance of NSW.”

This story has been doing the rounds since game 1........

a) If true....those "old boys" should shut the **** up. Its fucken embarrassing to have a cry about that.....
b) I hate the RL media and all the fucken scum that lies within. I've assumed all along that it was a nothing comment that some shunt journo turned into click bait.

Either way......I find it embarrassing. I'm surprised no NSW smarty is posting crybaby QLD'r images......

I used to post plenty of these on the LU forums........ 🙃

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • I bleed Maroon
  • barker
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • bb_gun
  • Justwin
  • KateBroncos1812
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Redux
  • Galah
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Scdeac
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.