LIVE State of Origin I - QLD vs NSW - Live Discussion

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
View attachment 5440

This is still really pissing me off. All the modern tech they could have at their disposal "The NSW Kick chasers are onside" ya mhmm...

(superimposed a mostly transparent image of the field directly in line with the play to compensate for the camera angle - to show the direct line between with where the ball was kicked and Teddy's position - using the try line as a point of reference)

He's got nothing behind where the ball was kicked and I was being really generous with where that is called from, I believe it should be from his boot, not the where the ball is in this frame. Teddy's left hoof was on the dirt before cook got foot to the ball - in an offside position. This should be immediately and extremely obvious with the right technology and much higher def than what I am getting off of Kayo.

How is the ultimate of our game still getting simple stuff like this totally wrong. Pissed me off even more that this directly led to their first try.
That was deadset a howler of a call, and if QLD had lost by 6 or less it would have been 10 times worse. Also the penalty try has gone the way of the send off if Gillett didn't deserve one.

Ponga01

QCup Player
He is fucking bad man, he can't stay there. I don't know who else we have but damn he's shit. He did everything possible to gift NSW a win but a few incredible performances from Ponga, Gagai, DCE and co saved us big time.

I'd deadset put Staggs or Fafita there ahead of him
Staggs is NSW

ivanhungryjak

NRL Captain
Suncorp Stadium
Just watching Freddy in the post game conference. damn hes one salty motherfudger :facepalmwastaken:

"they (QLD) nailed the 1st 10 - 15mins (of the 2nd half) they really won that, apart from that, nice pass from Ponga and a intercept, 2 tries dead set corners of the field, its not as though they broke us up all over the field" 😂

sour grapes mate, still 2 more games but damn watching this interview he really looked pissed off.

Even the interview in the sheds after the game when Slater was asking him questions, that must've pissed him off too.
Ahh, remind me of the good old days. Cocky NSW are supposed to win, they are the favourites, yet they come up to Lang Park and get their arses handed to them. And there's no blaming it on the refs this time either.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I'm still puzzled how that wasn't a penalty try. He was over the line. This guff about how they couldn't be sure he would have scored it because Tedesco was close is nonsense. If they are going to use that logic you could never give one at all. Even cordners one from last year, how could the video ref be sure he wouldn't have dropped the ball?

So glad we beat those grubs. I hate every last one of them in a blue shirt

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I have to say, Dane Gagai is making me eat my words in each series.

I had serious doubts over him back when he was named to make his debut in 2015. I thought he would have been a liability but he is proving to be a crucial part of this side and has been one of our best players in each series.

11 tries in 11 games. He's 28 years old and I think he's good odds of breaking the try scoring record set by Inglis.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I'm still puzzled how that wasn't a penalty try. He was over the line. This guff about how they couldn't be sure he would have scored it because Tedesco was close is nonsense. If they are going to use that logic you could never give one at all. Even cordners one from last year, how could the video ref be sure he wouldn't have dropped the ball?

Prior to 2018 I would have said it wasn't a penalty try because prior to 2018 it had to be a guarantee that a player would have scored.

But now, that is a deadset penalty try. Maxwell was shocking in the bunker last night. Denying Napa a legitimate try and denying the penalty try even though Gillett was the first player to the ball.

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Great win from our guys
So good to see Fittler having to think about what he does next . Since he has been coach everything that could go right, has , including Kevvies refusal to pick DCE until game 3

Now he has to decide on a couple of selections and risk going back to the knee jerk reaction so typical of NSW.
Im looking forward to the fallout from their media.
After that , the defensive structure he adopted was identified by Kevvie and picked off with some precision passing from Ponga and DCE which was just brilliant to watch.
How they respond to that will be interesting. I think Ponga and Munster will cut loose if they change it to more sliding D .
Freddie is visibly under pressure, the self assured demeanor has evaporated, ths is what origin is about mr. Fittler not the cushy ride you got last year .

Last edited:

Tom

State of Origin Rep

Then most hilarious thing is the difference in commentary of Gould for those 2 incidents. It's deadset embarrassing.

Purple Pills

QCup Player
My favourite part of the game as a whole besides winning is seeing the second coming of Cliff Lyons according to all and sundry south of the border, Cody ‘flat track bully’ Walker absolutely flop on the biggest stage and go missing.

I watched probably every single rugby league related show, podcast, etc in the lead up to Origin 1 and the amount of absolute dribble coming out of the mouths of the NSW pundits almost beggared belief.
My favourite one was I think it might have been Matty Johns say ‘Cody is an extinct player which is why he will probably be more suited to the Origin arena than club football. He will have less time to think and will just play on natural instinct’
Then you had others saying how much of an attacking genius he is, etc, etc, yet not one NSW personality mentioned the one thing I knew would come back to haunt them, his defense.

This is why he got hooked after 50 mins. Fittler was even quoted as saying they had to do something about that left edge because we were just killing them down that corridor.

I thought before the game that their halves combo would be their downfall and it showed. Cleary whisky wasn’t overly horrid, he is completely out of form and was assigned to be the guy who leads the team around the park whilst they blooded a debutant beside him.

What most NSW pundits, who waxed lyrical about Walker’s 4 tries against the Warriors earlier in the season, failed to pick up during that performance was Walker was forced to make ONE tackle all game. Even when he was scoring doubles in the games after that one, he was only forced to make single digit tackle counts so he is fresh as possible to attack. I know it’s easier said then done but how opposition coaches haven’t tried to exploit this side of his game is why Souths keep doing what they do.

What we witnessed last night is when he is forced to make double digit tackle counts and try and make him use up energy in defense, his attack gets completely brought back a couple of levels.

I hope NSW stick with the same halves combo for Perth. DCE will be more match fit and clinical whilst Munster is a better origin player than NSW halves combo put together.

Purple Pills

QCup Player
Nearly all of NSW attack comes through Tedesco and Cook. Without them last night could have been a blow out. Especially had we taken our half chances.

The best thing now is NSW now have more questions than answers. All the talk is how they rated their forward pack better, how their bench was better and more mobile, how they have a dynamic backline.

Now their halves combo will seriously be dissected apart by the media. Questions will be asked about what has happened to Latrell the last 3 weeks. Questions will be asked about their bench make up and whether they were expecting too much of Payne Haas being the only prop on the bench. Questions will also be asked if they rush Tom Trbojevic back for Game 2.

Meanwhile in QLD everything is coming up Milhouse. We have a decent spine who are all in decent form and have experience. Our back row outperformed their overhyped one. Our other forwards held their own.

I think we need to try and stick the knife in whilst it is hot in Perth and don’t give NSW a sniff of forcing a decider in front of their home fans. Although NSW haven’t won a decider since 2005 so they are still very much under the pump.

Purple Pills

QCup Player
Perfectly describes his Game 1......
Yep which is why I thought it was naive from the NSW pundits to assume that his instincts would be the reason why he kills it at that level. Bit different when you don’t have a retreating defence and you have very little space and time to work with.

At Souths, the reason why he is killing it at club land can be summarise in 3 words: Cook, Reynolds and Confidence. NSW could have played Peachey at 6 last night and you wouldn’t have noticed the difference.

Old Mate

NRL Player
Then most hilarious thing is the difference in commentary of Gould for those 2 incidents. It's deadset embarrassing.
**** you’re not wrong.

“He’s easily going to get there, easily. Needs to be a penalty try and sin bin.”

Reactions: Tom

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter