State of Origin II - NSW v Queensland - Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Origin is all about combinations and execution, not just individual brilliance

Barba's individual brilliance took the Bulldogs to a Grand Final. Unlike many people, I have faith in him. I believe he wants to get back to his best and maybe the big stage is exactly what he needs.

Barba's individual brilliance took the Bulldogs to a Grand Final. Unlike many people, I have faith in him. I believe he wants to get back to his best and maybe the big stage is exactly what he needs.

Picking barba in the hope it will ignite him is ludicrous. He has shown NO signs of the 2012 version of himself this year. A glimpse of spark here and there is not enough. Milford has been on fire all year and is the obvious choice if we want a player like that.

I have no faith in Barba at all atm as an Origin FB.

As for Inglis, it is true at centre he was sporadic at times. But at FB, that would be an entirely different proposition

Just being realistic. QLD had the majority of possession in game 1 and 80% of it was on the blues line and we could only manage 1 try. Take out the 2 best attacking weapons in our team and we are in trouble.

And they only really have Hayne. We still have Thurston and Smith.

And they only really have Hayne. We still have Thurston and Smith.

Well, their pack is pretty good too. But I agree about Hayne. Thing is, he will play at this stage. Our only hope is to execute the plays as well as we have mostly over the last 8 years and not miss tackles

Hayne is all they need in attack, the rest they do in defence. He single handedly beat us. Then did the same to the cowboys last night. Thurston is out of touch atm, he was pretty ordinary against the eels last night. But i see your point and if we can shut hayne down we can definitely win.

All this talk of barba is just stupid though.

There are options
1. Pick a game breaker: Milford comes in
2. Pick someone with combinations: Morgan comes in
3. Try to keep the team stable: Boyd goes to fullback and chambers comes in.

None of those options in involve barba

If Inglis & Slater are out, Boyd is the Queensland fullback.

1. Boyd
2. O'Neill
3. Chambers
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Lillyman
15. Te'o
16. Papalii
17. Guerra

Boyd at the back - stable and safe ... and so boring unless he plays out of his skin when he can actually be quite good at FB.

Either way, this is now a battle of the forwards more than ever, and marking up on Hayne and those outside and on his inside. No easy task, especially we stand back and watch him run, and kick down his throat.

Whatever, for mine, this is one game that will be won or lost in the forwards. Momentum is the key

Last edited:
Lot of pressure on Mal to pick the right team, and if Slater and Inglis are out it will be one of those "where did that come from?" wins.

Lot of pressure on Mal to pick the right team, and if Slater and Inglis are out it will be one of those "where did that come from?" wins.

It will come from a supermassive effort from our pack, quick play the balls, Smith turning them around with his kicking game, and Thurston in full flight and hopefully DCE playing

It's a distinct possibility but again, our forwards have to own the NSW pack or it's lost.

And, they have much more to play for than we do. To end a dynasty is no small matter

Last edited:
Does anyone have the latest on DCE? I think he could be the key to our chances , but he would need a sold week in camp with JT . I have confidence JT will bring his A game to Sydney next week. We will need more go forward in the forwards. I would bring Taylor in for Pappali . I would probably take a chance on Milford , but am a bit worried about his lack of size . I think we can win this and am fairly confident if DCE comes through.l

Last edited:
Did i just hear barba get mentioned in an origin thread? Yeh, thatll do me.

I know! how dare someone have an opinion differing to yours right?

FTR I dont see anything wrong with what that person said. If barba absolutely ripped canberra apart 2012 style tomorrow night his name would come into calculations

I'm staying positive at this point, remember Smith was told he'd be out for 3 weeks then played 3 days later..
I didn't see the souths game though
Apparently gallen "aggravated" the neck again too. Being a cockroach and literally cannot be killed he'll bloody play :(

Morgan and milford would be next in line. Barba wouldnt even come into it. I agree that the most likely move will be boyd to fullback, chambers to centre and vidot to wing. Vidot has bombed so many tries this year, and his form is definitely down on how he started, but hes basically all we have. No slater or inglis though and i think NSW have this in the bag. :(

Vidot has been getting better this year, not worse. He's literally bombed 2 tries, not "so many". You must be watching a different player to me.

Hey, neither do I. Boyd to 1 is the likely option with Walker or Milf on the wing. Walker looked damned good tonight for Souths.

I'd be happy with Barba on the bench.

Walker is a NSWelshman.

I'm genuinely excited. This is what Origin is all about! No excuses for NSW now, no "playing against a once-in-a-lifetime team". If we win this, and we have a good chance, it'll show once and for all that the wins weren't on the back of a couple of future immortals, it was on the back of grit and determination.

why does McQueen's position in the team seem so safe? I hope hannant or lillyman get selected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Thelmus
  • Wild Horse
  • Lozza
  • Johnny92
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • MrRobot
  • Astro
  • MrTickyMcG
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • cento
  • Broncosgirl
  • Aldo
  • Pablo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ell.d33
  • Dash
  • Behold
  • BooKhaki
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.