NEWS Sunday Mail: Fifita still dithering

Exactly. Plus no cap space to extend him till Boyd and Macca are off the books.

I think that might be what the broncs are waiting for, to see who is moved on/retired so they know what funds the have to offer him.
Don’t think any deal will be done until then.
Still quietly confident he will stay.

I think that might be what the broncs are waiting for, to see who is moved on/retired so they know what funds the have to offer him.
Yeah agreed I think both parties are looking for a 4-5 year deal and potentially we can't fluctuate much in the pricing in the current salary cap, as it may be viewed as back ending a contract.

The quotes put up earlier were very positive from Gwen, which I think may be more of an insight into the current dealings... compared to Fifi just regurgitating what his manager has told him

I think that is wishful thinking and to me it doesn't make a whole heap of sense. You only need to be under the cap for each season by the start of that season. They already know that they won't be re-signing Boyd and Macca so essentially there money is unaccounted for in the cap for those seasons. If the only issue was both parties want a long term deal then it would be done.

What is actually happening here is everyone assumed that he would be staying especially given what the club did for him in Bali. In reality David couldn't give a shit about that or the club and will go to the honest bidder and this will be his last season at the Broncos. The sooner people realise that the less it will sting when it happens.

I think that is wishful thinking and to me it doesn't make a whole heap of sense. You only need to be under the cap for each season by the start of that season. They already know that they won't be re-signing Boyd and Macca so essentially there money is unaccounted for in the cap for those seasons. If the only issue was both parties want a long term deal then it would be done.

What is actually happening here is everyone assumed that he would be staying especially given what the club did for him in Bali. In reality David couldn't give a shit about that or the club and will go to the honest bidder and this will be his last season at the Broncos. The sooner people realise that the less it will sting when it happens.
Macca and Boyd both have options for 2021... as does Milf, Oates and Bird.

I believe there is still a lot of uncertainty around the amount of cap space we have for 2021

Last edited:
Macca and Boyd both have options for 2021... as does Milf, Oates and Bird.

I believe there is still a lot of uncertainty around the amount of cap space we have for 2021

That still doesn't make any sense. You are saying that the hold up is a long term deal so they are working out a short one, well a short one at the very least is going to be 2021.

The fact is if Fifita was saying I want to to stay but only on a long term deal it would be done. The issue is the opposite, Fifita wants to move next year or at the most a short term deal so he can go afterwards.

Further to that he isn't the kind of guy we want here cultural wise. I keep hearing he is a leader but I call bullshit on that, he isn't a leaders asshole. A leader doesn't publicly say things like getting me out of a Bali prison is what the club had to do. A leader doesn't bring unwanted and un-needed speculation for what will be the entire year to a team just to stroke his own over-inflated ego. Most of all, a leader doesn't look at his sides dismal finish and everything the team is trying to do to buy in and win back some respect and actively make it seem he is here for a good time and not a long time.

Let him go down the coast to waste his career with those numpties.

Apparently he needs more money and less off field scrutiny to keep playing the pokies :elitist: :dpick:

Then what's the hold up?

I reckon it’s 2021
Until some blokes have OFFICIALLY moved on/retired the broncs can’t put their best deal together starting in 2021.
We’ll all just have to wait awhile.
I’m still optimistic things will work out for both parties though.

There's going to be 300k free as well for Kahu who I very much doubt we will keep in our top 30 unless for bottom dollar.

If Boyd and Macca staying in 2021 costs us Fifita I’ll vomit on the spot and may have to be hospitalised due to pure rage. They shouldn’t even be here this season

Edit: I just can’t comprehend either of them playing next year.

Last edited:
That still doesn't make any sense. You are saying that the hold up is a long term deal so they are working out a short one, well a short one at the very least is going to be 2021.

The fact is if Fifita was saying I want to to stay but only on a long term deal it would be done. The issue is the opposite, Fifita wants to move next year or at the most a short term deal so he can go afterwards.

Further to that he isn't the kind of guy we want here cultural wise. I keep hearing he is a leader but I call bullshit on that, he isn't a leaders asshole. A leader doesn't publicly say things like getting me out of a Bali prison is what the club had to do. A leader doesn't bring unwanted and un-needed speculation for what will be the entire year to a team just to stroke his own over-inflated ego. Most of all, a leader doesn't look at his sides dismal finish and everything the team is trying to do to buy in and win back some respect and actively make it seem he is here for a good time and not a long time.

Let him go down the coast to waste his career with those numpties.
Having never met the bloke, I simply cannot draw the conclusions you have about Fifita.

I do think he’s a young kid with all and sundry in his ear telling him lots of different things. I also think he probably doesn’t have the life skills or the necessary smarts to articulate where his head is at and is most likely simply parroting what someone else has told him.

What I do know is that he’s not the first 19 year old to show signs of getting caught up in their own hype (not just in the NRL) and he definitely won’t be the last. Further, if we got rid of every 19 year old kid that did get ahead of themselves, we’d have been without quite a few good players over the years.

I guess the takeaway is; don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. He’s 19. If he’s acting like this at 25 I’d be a little more worried he’s not maturing and has a poor support network. But from all reports, his Mum is the steadying hand that most kids need and she’ll do everything she can to keep him in line. And from what I’ve read about their relationship, if she can’t do it, I doubt there is any club or coach that can.

Shame it didn't happen really. AFL is a far better product BUT the only thing that wold have saved and grown league was if Qld became the national centre of league.

Very much a matter of opinion, and one I don't share.
I have lived my whole life in Adelaide and grew up following Aussie Rules like a religion, but to me it's just a shit game. Turned off in my mid-20's when I saw it for what it was.
IMO Rugby League is substantially better product than AFL, it's problem is that it is run by morons.

People are reading a lot into the comments he made about Bali and casting all sorts of aspersion on him as a result of that. Has anyone considered that what he can and cannot say around that may be extremely limited?

The club appeared to be, objectively speaking, heavily involved in extricating him from a Balinese prison cell and getting a legal settlement paid and getting him on the first flight home. Now I'm not saying they necessarily funded any of that, but to what extent they were actually involved, only a handful of people will ever really know.

If Fifita was to come out and talk in glowing terms about how much the Broncos did for him in that situation or to elaborate on how that might influence him in any contract negotiations, it may well invite further digging and cause further discontent amongst the other NRL clubs about Brisbane's involvement and potentially even what impact that might have on our salary cap obligations.

I'm not saying this is definitely the case, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if publicly he's been instructed to remain tight lipped and downplay where possible just how involved Brisbane were and what influence that may have on any contract negotiations.

Last edited:

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.