The World Cup general discussion thread

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Argentina looked awesome again even using a few 2nd team players. Love that Diego decided he didn't want to deprive the viewing public of Messi so played him and gave him the honour of captaincy even with Veron playing. They passed the ball beautifully again and I thought Bollati looked better in that holding role than Di Maria has. Messi was again superb and yet another goalkeeper denied him some good goals he had a hand in the second and was a constant menace, he is without a doubt in my eyes the best player of the opening phase of the tournament and I can't see anyone yet to finish the phase who could surpass what he has done. It bodes well for Argentina's prospects because he is floating around picking his moments beautifully and it seems that Diego and he have come to realise what his role is within the side.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Just watched the SA v France game have to say Gourcuff deserved the red he lead with his elbow at pace collected the guy in the temple and pushed with the forearm into the guys head after the ball was clear, he didn't even seem upset which says to me it was deliberate.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Very keen to see how Argentina will go against a well organised big team. If Spain get back to their best and meet Argentina in the final that would be epic.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Imagine the pass counts of both teams if they meet! It will be a possession-fest!!!

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
EL LOCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So happy to see Martin Palermo score :)

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
How old is Palermo these days, about 57?

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
I remember signing him from Boca in the old CM games for 10mil then having him carve 40+ goals year after year!

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Getting anxious about tonight. Defoe and Milner are in for Heskey and Lennon apparently. Still no starting spot for Joe Cole though which is worrying.

Come on England!

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
I don't understand why Capello nor any England coach will not play 1 striker with Gerrard playing just off their heel. That way Gerrard is in his natural role and he won't get in Fat Frank's way in the middle of the park.

----------------Random Bum--------------
Johnson-----Dawson----Terry-------Cole
--------------------Barry-------------------
---Milner--------Lampard---------Cole---
-----------------------Gerrard-------------
--------------Rooney-----------------------

That side would beat very hard to beat and would have plenty of goals in it.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I'm not sure why he didn't take Adam Johnson to the World Cup.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
ningnangnong said:
I'm not sure why he didn't take Adam Johnson to the World Cup.

+1!!!

That kid looks like he will be a star. Sunderland boy too, apparently we almost had him then City came in with their extravagant wages :evil:

The Brizz said:
I don't understand why Capello nor any England coach will not play 1 striker with Gerrard playing just off their heel. That way Gerrard is in his natural role and he won't get in Fat Frank's way in the middle of the park.

----------------Random Bum--------------
Johnson-----Dawson----Terry-------Cole
--------------------Barry-------------------
---Milner--------Lampard---------Cole---
-----------------------Gerrard-------------
--------------Rooney-----------------------

That side would beat very hard to beat and would have plenty of goals in it.

I would have loved to see that team play. It's such a shame Capello seems to have a love affair with Heskey. He worked with Rooney during qualifying but this is the world cup, Heskey barely gets a look in at Villa ffs.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I haven't seen any of the England games, but from what I've heard, Heskey has actually (surprisingly) been playing alright, whilst Rooney has been shit.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Nah Heskey hasn't been anything special, it probably just looks that way because Rooney has been crap. But yeah probably not quite as donkey-esque as usual, that said I still don't think he should be there.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
this is the best game of the tournament, you can barely hear the vuvuzelas!!!!!

Unread

Active Now

• bazza
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Astro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.