Where does Benji Marshall fit in?

Marshall defending alongside either half is a recipe for disaster.

I struggle to see the value in this signing. Marshall is too talented to spend his time playing in the Intrust Super Cup, Bennett will try to make room and it's difficult to envision at 32 that Benji will be able to adjust in a new role.

It's Scott Prince 2013 all over again.

If he's not up to it he want get a game. I generally see the upside as a bench utility if he proves himself (including in defense) during pre season.

He seems a motivated character. Stepping up his defensive game for a 20+ min stint I would say is manageable.

Interchange option might be...

In the last 20 min Oates to bench and Kahu to wing, Benji to center. This would include lifting Oates involvement, especially bringing the ball back or taking more hit ups etc. If he is destined for the middle this wouldn't be a useless project.

Last edited:
All signs point to him playing centre. He's not a bench utility type player.. I'd rather him out there finding that one moment to strike in an 80min format rather than coming on for 10min and try to find something. Kodi does this better than anyone else I've seen recently.. i wouldn't take that role away from him.

Bennett said he can play in the backline when he was interviewed about it.

Glenn mentioned him as a potential centre.

Benji has now even said he can play centre or fill in at fullback if needed.

The new assistant coach has said his defense at centre will be fine.

He's not come here to play halfback or an organizational role and that he's come back to really bring his "running game" back as his main weapon.

Bennett prefers experience in his side. Given we have young forwards who need to step up, young halves and the loss of jack reed who let's face it was in the "experience" collumn.... i think wayne will want someone of experience in the backs too other than boyd.

All the signs point to benji at 3.

I'm starting to think we will see this next year if no napa signing:

1 Boyd
2 Oates
3 Benji
4 Roberts
5 Kahu
6 Milford
7 Hunt
8 Thaiday
9 Macca
10 Blair
11 Gillett
12 Glen
13 McGuire

14 TPJ
15 Dodds
16 (rotation role of essesse, ofa, arrow)
17 Nikorima

Benji flick passing back on the inside for Milford to accelerate straight through them would make a nice change from the standard sweep play to Oates in the corner.

Benji flick passing back on the inside for Milford to accelerate straight through them would make a nice change from the standard sweep play to Oates in the corner.

Why? That sweep play still works a treat and Oates scores 12-15 a year off it easily

Marshall defending alongside either half is a recipe for disaster.

I struggle to see the value in this signing. Marshall is too talented to spend his time playing in the Intrust Super Cup, Bennett will try to make room and it's difficult to envision at 32 that Benji will be able to adjust in a new role.

It's Scott Prince 2013 all over again.

I reckon another season playing alongside prince would have made a big difference to the Hunt we see today.
I do know what you're saying but I'm also hoping that having Benji out there and at training might help our halves with some game management.
Benji also has a good football brain and having him at centre could be similar to having Hodgo out there?
I'm feeling pretty confident about the signing... But will be quick to throw him under the bus if it goes South!! Ha

after the Benji video there is a video of Herman. who is the big unit that cruises pass him in the time trial?

after the Benji video there is a video of Herman. who is the big unit that cruises pass him in the time trial?
The lighter or darker skinned fella? The darker skinned one which really flies by is George Fai I believe...not too sure about the other one, looks a bit like Mitchell Frei but could be an U20 also.

Why? That sweep play still works a treat and Oates scores 12-15 a year off it easily
I didn't say we should drop that play entirely. In fact it would probably be even more effective if the defence wasn't sure whether the ball was going to Oates or if Benji was going to straighten the attack himself or slip it inside to Milford.

96840d5aa08953ab86012987ec1bd38b.jpg

Utility or Q Cup

The lighter or darker skinned fella? The darker skinned one which really flies by is George Fai I believe...not too sure about the other one, looks a bit like Mitchell Frei but could be an U20 also.

I doubt it's Mitchell Frei.

Unless we signed him from the Roosters.

yeah was wondering the same thing!!!

thought players player or somthing but theres too many overlapping years..

rep honours maybe???
Looks to be what it is. Origin

It's Australian reps, IIRC.

Could be both Australia and Origin reps.

Last edited:
I have been fairly optimistic about this signing. At the least he fills in during origin and is a positive figure to have around at training. He could be entertaining at the 9's too. And its basically on minimum wage. I'm happy with that.

However after reading that article and watching the video I couldn't help but get a little excited. The bloke seems to have genuinely come here for all the right reasons. His attitude is excellent, he wants to work with Wayne and Wayne wants to work with him. He will fit in well, he is a great personality to have at the club. I wasn't a fan of how he reacted to the St George offer but he seems to have moved on from the opinion he is worth big money and is very humbled just to be at our club.

Benji hasn't been in a position for years where he hasn't required to be "the man", as Bennett refers to it. What ever position he plays, centre or bench utility seem most likely if he is in the team, if Benji actually gets his mojo back it could be a master stroke. We could really give the competition a shake if we are prepared to utilise a playing style to suit the likes of Milf, Hunt, Benji, Nickorima, Roberts etc. When have we ever had that much electric talent in our team?

I can't wait to see how he trials. I hope his defence holds up where ever he ends up in the trials.

On the other hand I really want to see Kahu finally make the full time move to the centres. I guess it all comes down to training and trials. Experienced depth and some healthy competition for spots is a great motivator, especially when we add in Mead, Opa etc into the loop too.

Who cares if we give him a shot at centre or bench utility and he is a flop. As long as he stays positive about it, as i say above I still think he can bring alot of other qualities to the club.

Active Now

• jd87
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Old Mate
  • Justwin
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Gympie devil
  • broncsgoat
  • Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Dash
  • MrRobot
  • Mr Fourex
  • Jazza
  • Broncorob
  • RolledOates
  • mystico
  • Behind enemy lines
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.