Who is your 2010 Fullback? Discuss!

Who is your 2010 Broncos fullback

• Total voters
Yeah, it's kind of obvious that Seedy Man is Denan.

broncospwn said:
Looks like Denan Kemp has joined these forums.

don't be silly Denan is far too busy to be joining BHQ, by the looks of it he wouldn't need to vite for himself either. Pure Domination by Kemp icon_thumbs_u

And since Copely has not got a single vote.

Swerve its gonna be Him

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 66,00.html

Israel Folau has made a shock 11th-hour bid for Brisbane Broncos's problematic fullback jumper - and the Broncos have Wayne Bennett to thank should he prove their solution.

Folau, initially reluctant to switch to the No.1 jumper vacated by AFL-bound star Karmichael Hunt, has now declared he would love to be Brisbane's new fullback.

The dramatic change of heart was prompted by the tryscoring whiz's shock cameo at fullback for the NRL All-Stars last weekend, which came at Bennett's request.

And after getting his first taste of the custodian role, the 20-year-old superstar would now welcome a permanent switch but fears he may have left his bid too late.

"I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I didn't think I'd like playing fullback but after having a go, I'd say it was definitely really enjoyable for me," he said.

"I've thought about it more since last week and I'd definitely like to do it if Ivan (Henjak) thought it was good for the team.

"The best part about being fullback was getting to run around the field, which is what I like doing. You see the ball more and that's what I enjoy most. It was very enjoyable."

Bennett tossed Folau into the fullback role midway through the showpiece clash against the Indigenous All-Stars at Skilled Park last Saturday night.

And the youngest Australia Test player in history took to his new role like a duck to water.

"I was supposed to play wing but Wayne just tapped me on the back at halftime and asked if I'd play fullback," he said.

"I said yes. It was a surprise. I was a bit more nervous because I've never played fullback at that level before, I didn't have any experience and when I got out there it was great."

Broncos coach Henjak has given serious weight to Folau and busted centre Justin Hodges as viable fullback options.

Henjak initially cooled on the idea of moving his strike weapon after fellow star Hodges suffered a long-term achilles injury but that planning may again change.

The form of young gun Corey Norman, who will play fullback in Saturday night's trial against Canberra at Ballymore, will be a key factor in determining Folau's fate.

The merits of Steve Michaels, Gerard Beale, Alex Glenn, Antonio Winterstein and utility option Ben Hunt are also being keenly studied.

Wherever he lines up, Folau has promised bigger and better things in 2010 after a hot and cold maiden season in Brisbane in which he also suffered a broken ankle.

Asked if he needs to get his hands dirty more after his 2009 switch from wing to centre, Folau said: "I've got to try to add that to my game and take a few more runs for the forwards.

"I need to mix it up a bit when I'm running up to the line.

"Playing at fullback, having that roaming role, really helped me."

I have my reservations, but we'll see what happens.

Could be interesting - at least you know he's safe under the high ball!

I think since we have lost Hodges for 6 months it would be silly to move him to fullback now especially when we have 5 other options that are most likely just as good whereas our centre stocks are pretty poor.

I think with time Folau could make an amazing fullback but I honestly think the plan should have been hatched a lot earlier in the pre season. This is to short a time to learn a very specific role in before a season starts.

#1 Kemp fan said:
I think since we have lost Hodges for 6 months it would be silly to move him to fullback now especially when we have 5 other options that are most likely just as good whereas our centre stocks are pretty poor.

Yup, that was my initial feeling too.

I think Issy playing FB would be one of Ivan's worst ever coaching decisions.

Kemp should bide his time on the wing imo. He came back here with his tail between his legs I think he has to prove he is worthy of the number 1 jersey in NRL, because imo you are only as good as your last season, and his was pretty ordinary. Give Hoffman first crack, Kemp on the wing.

1. Hoffman
2. Kemp
3. Folau
4. Hodges (someone else while he's out)
5. Yow Yeh

Je$ter said:
Kemp should bide his time on the wing imo. He came back here with his tail between his legs I think he has to prove he is worthy of the number 1 jersey in NRL, because imo you are only as good as your last season, and his was pretty ordinary. Give Hoffman first crack, Kemp on the wing.

1. Hoffman
2. Kemp
3. Folau
5. Yow Yeh

I think thats a pretty fair call, if Kemp is to get the #1 he needs to earn it. Hoffman has the talent but can he back it up with quality performances week in week out for the Broncos. Depth wise the Broncos backline should never struggle to put points on IMO.

#1 Kemp fan said:
[quote="Je$ter":1f2vs0t1]Kemp should bide his time on the wing imo. He came back here with his tail between his legs I think he has to prove he is worthy of the number 1 jersey in NRL, because imo you are only as good as your last season, and his was pretty ordinary. Give Hoffman first crack, Kemp on the wing.

1. Hoffman
2. Kemp
3. Folau
5. Yow Yeh

I think thats a pretty fair call, if Kemp is to get the #1 he needs to earn it. Hoffman has the talent but can he back it up with quality performances week in week out for the Broncos. Depth wise the Broncos backline should never struggle to put points on IMO.[/quote:1f2vs0t1]

Yes and no. Your backline is only as good as your forward pack's ability to match it with their opponents. If the Broncos forwards get dominated then field position will be harder to come by, momentum harder to come by, and less opportunity for the backs to make an impact.

So here's hoping the likes of Sims, McGuire, Te'o, Setu, Anderson, Gillett etc stand up and match the efforts of Kenny and Thaiday.

Yeah its those 2nd tier guys that all need to take a giant consistent leap forward this year to allow the backs to do what they do best. We have some potential in our pack they just need to realise it a bit sooner than they would normally have been expected to when you consider there ages and level of top grade experience.

Flutterby said:
agree, which is probably why he hasn't really entertained the idea... Izzy is too big imo, he would struggle to turn and chase and get down to low balls etc... I do think this will be a big year for him in the centers though, lifting his work rate and becoming a lot more involved...

nopatience101 said:
Flutterby said:
agree, which is probably why he hasn't really entertained the idea... Izzy is too big imo, he would struggle to turn and chase and get down to low balls etc... I do think this will be a big year for him in the centers though, lifting his work rate and becoming a lot more involved...

Agreed. I can see him as a great center, but I can't see him being all that good at fullback. He just doesn't seem like the right build for it.

Je$ter said:
Kemp should bide his time on the wing imo. He came back here with his tail between his legs I think he has to prove he is worthy of the number 1 jersey in NRL,

And how exactly does he prove he is worthy of the #1 by playing on the wing? I mean if he starts on the wing and goes really well people are going to say "why move him from the wing, he is playing awesome there, if it ain't broke don't fix it", regardless of how Hoffman (or whoever) is going at FB. IMO the only way to prove he deserves the #1 is to get first crack at it and I for one think he is our long-term FB option.

Frankly I think it's more about proving he deserves a first grade spot than anything. Regardless of the position.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • sooticus
  • Cavalo
  • Shane Tronc
  • jd87
  • Brotherdu
  • Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • Jazza
  • broncsgoat
  • ettybay
  • Gaz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.