NEWS Xavier Coates: why I chose the Storm over the Broncos

TBH.......I thought he went OK.

His defence could be criticised.....but
he had a few hard choices to make.
giggle GIF

Bullet... dodged....
Yeah probably. He’s a fine enough player for the most part and he’ll probably get better with more experience, but it was always going to come down to him or Staggs for the big money in that backline, and I think Staggs was the right call.

Cobbo bursting on to the scene has only served to double down on it being the right call.

He’ll be playing for Qld for many years to come unfortunately
I’d say you’re right, and we’d be foolish to expect that he just won’t ever get any better because that tends to be what players do with experience.

Taylah I was sublime all series and Cobbo is obviously in front of him, but I’m sure he has the tools to pressure those guys over the next 7-10 years.

Yeah probably. He’s a fine enough player for the most part and he’ll probably get better with more experience, but it was always going to come down to him or Staggs for the big money in that backline, and I think Staggs was the right call.

Cobbo bursting on to the scene has only served to double down on it being the right call.
The thing that annoys me with origin selections sometimes is when players play more bad games then good but then when they suddenly play a good game their is this sense of "see, he's turning into an origin/rep level player" and get another 10 games out of it.
In the meantime, there is a player in the background who had they had the same level of investment they would have become twice the player.
Playing rep footy makes players better, of course players have bad games or debuts or even a couple bad game, but they should enter the arena ready, not built up to be good at it. That's what any level below is for (eg qld cup for nrl, nrl for state of origin, etc)

I reckon Coates will have a career where he is always compared to some of the elite players but I have my doubts whether or not he will actually ever deliver.

There will be glimpses, he's an impressive athlete. I just think for someone of his body shape, I tend to expect a bit more impact with some of his carries. You compare him to Selwyn, Selwyn's getting in there and making the hard carries, effective carries. I don't see that with Coates.

For such a big body/build, he doesn't seem to be very strong.

He runs far too upright into the defence as well when he's taking a carry. Dude needs to lower his centre of gravity.

For such a big body/build, he doesn't seem to be very strong.

He runs far too upright into the defence as well when he's taking a carry. Dude needs to lower his centre of gravity.

Yep, runs like Brisbane Broncos' Dane Gagai, it only took Dane a season or so to change his game with the Knights.

Yep, runs like Brisbane Broncos' Dane Gagai, it only took Dane a season or so to change his game with the Knights.

Coates should watch the way Oates runs…if Oates ever gets on the field.

"Being coached by Craig was an attraction. In saying that the NRL has a lot of good coaches. ‘Kevvie’ has been good for me, but I’m looking forward to getting better as a player at the Storm. A big thing with the Storm is they get the best out of players."

it is a formula that stands the test of time for the Storm, who pride themselves on turning good players into great ones."
Reminder Turncoates took less money to go to Melbourne to chase premierships.

Eat a bag of dicks you flog. So much for getting better.

Active Now

• Spoon
  • Galah
  • davidp
  • HarryAllan7
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mister Wright
  • Browny
  • achievedrap
  • Ondi
  • ezpz
  • Big Del
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Midean
  • leon.bott
  • armchair
  • Culhwch
  • Dash
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.