Young broncs in feeder clubs

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Boom young guns Tom Dearden, Cory Paix and Tesi Niu will all be placed with the same Intrust Super Cup side this season, Souths Logan Magpies.

Dearden, 18, will call the shots in the halves, Niu, 18, will start in the No.1 jumper and Paix, 20, will operate at hooker, the position for which he is being groomed in the NRL. Seibold has huge plans for the three young guns and wants them to develop an understanding as soon as possible.
Would love for all 3 of them to absolutely carve up, there'll be nothing better than Darb & McCullough getting punted for Niu & Paix for the second half of the season.

Footy Fanatic

QCup Player
Boom young guns Tom Dearden, Cory Paix and Tesi Niu will all be placed with the same Intrust Super Cup side this season, Souths Logan Magpies.

Dearden, 18, will call the shots in the halves, Niu, 18, will start in the No.1 jumper and Paix, 20, will operate at hooker, the position for which he is being groomed in the NRL. Seibold has huge plans for the three young guns and wants them to develop an understanding as soon as possible.
Also hoping Reece Walsh can come back from injury soon and show what he's got at fullback as well, but I'm not sure what club he will be aligned to.

mkram23

NYC Player
Would love for all 3 of them to absolutely carve up, there'll be nothing better than Darb & McCullough getting punted for Niu & Paix for the second half of the season.
I actually wouldn't mind Niu spending this year in ISC, unless he is carving up the comp and forcing his way in.

But for his development and his body, I'd rather him spend the year getting stronger and cement the fullback spot for Souths.

State of Origin Rep

Big day thinking and writing for Pete Badel this week.

Dearden and Paix moved to Souths together.
His ISC knowledge is terrible.

Souths have spent a lot of money, Nicholls and Hamilton are there too. Not sure how they are fitting all of them in to the 17 but JB will be under some pressure to get results. 10th again won't look good when you have 14 Broncos.
- Merged

Also hoping Reece Walsh can come back from injury soon and show what he's got at fullback as well, but I'm not sure what club he will be aligned to.
He will play MM for Tweed when he comes back from his shoulder op. Then see at the end of that season what he needs.

Last edited:

pagey

NRL Captain

About time this has happened, it's so important that your key players are connected. Props to seibold

mkram23

NYC Player
Big day thinking and writing for Pete Badel this week.

His ISC knowledge is terrible.

Souths have spent a lot of money, Nicholls and Hamilton are there too. Not sure how they are fitting all of them in to the 17 but JB will be under some pressure to get results. 10th again won't look good when you have 14 Broncos.
- Merged

He will play MM for Tweed when he comes back from his shoulder op. Then see at the end of that season what he needs.
Would you say Nicholls will be paired with Dearden?
They have Cristian Hazzard as well, would Hamilton be battling Hazzard for the 14 spot.

Any news on if any of the Brissy outside backs will be at Souths as well? other then Vudogo?

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone knows the feeder club allocations for the broncos yet?
I heard dearden, niu and paix (future spine connections) are all allocated to souths. That is an excellent idea and long overdue strategy I believe. Hope to see left, right and middle players paired to the same clubs too.

Last edited:

State of Origin Rep
Would you say Nicholls will be paired with Dearden?
They have Cristian Hazzard as well, would Hamilton be battling Hazzard for the 14 spot.

Any news on if any of the Brissy outside backs will be at Souths as well? other then Vudogo?
Souths have a strong spine already and this is the problem with moving guys so they play with each other- Hazzard, Hamilton and Nicholls are a very good spine.

Nui was already a Souths kid so he hasn't been moved just playing where he has always played. But Paix and Dearden aren't locked in as the best Magpies halves and hooker. Especially if like last year Souths are playing poorly and JB is under pressure he could make changes and want to drop guys.

Niu didn't lock down the Souths fullback job last year and played half his games at centre- I think his best game was at centre.

Last year with Boyd, he couldn't make the Magpies ISC team and went back to Colts then left for the Titans. It can cause problems.

Vudogo is with Souths again.

State of Origin Rep
I will say I watched the game Souths v Jets last week and I think Paix has improved.

My big criticism of him last year was he was moved everywhere from half to hooker and interchange and it showed in his decision making- he had a foot injury which didn't help but he was clearly unsure of his role and the role of hooker. I almost felt sorry for him in the finals he comes off the bench game in the balance and expected to make an impact from hooker and the poor guy looked unsure.

On Saturday a lot more confident and sure about his impact and how he was going to do it.

pagey

NRL Captain
Souths have a strong spine already and this is the problem with moving guys so they play with each other- Hazzard, Hamilton and Nicholls are a very good spine.

Nui was already a Souths kid so he hasn't been moved just playing where he has always played. But Paix and Dearden aren't locked in as the best Magpies halves and hooker. Especially if like last year Souths are playing poorly and JB is under pressure he could make changes and want to drop guys.

Niu didn't lock down the Souths fullback job last year and played half his games at centre- I think his best game was at centre.

Last year with Boyd, he couldn't make the Magpies ISC team and went back to Colts then left for the Titans. It can cause problems.

Vudogo is with Souths again.
So you don't rate paix or dearden then?

pagey

NRL Captain
WOW- just wow.
My thoughts exactly, your love for your Qcup teams can take a back seat. I want Broncos players playing together especially spine players , and if that means certain players need to be moved than so be it.

kooly87

NRL Player
My thoughts exactly, your love for your Qcup teams can take a back seat. I want Broncos players playing together especially spine players , and if that means certain players need to be moved than so be it.
I think you're missing the point. Souths (and the other affiliated clubs) are more than just our feeder clubs. The Coach is a real person with a real job and I'm sure he doesn't want to risk losing it by playing guys who aren't performing or aren't the best fit simply because that's what the Broncos would prefer for a plan they have two years down the track. Brisbane certainly won't be there to help him pack up his desk if it all goes pear shaped and he's out of a job.

It sounds like what you really want is for us to set up our own feeder side, which we sort of have attempted before with mixed results.

Last edited:

State of Origin Rep
I think you're missing the point. Souths (and the other affiliated clubs) are more than just our feeder clubs. The Coach is a real person with a real job and I'm sure he doesn't want to risk losing it by playing guys who aren't performing or aren't the best fit simply because that's what the Broncos would prefer for a plan they have two years down the track. Brisbane certainly won't be there to help him pack up his desk if it all goes pear shaped and he's out of a job.

It sounds like what you really want is for us to set up our own feeder side, which we sort of have attempted before with mixed results.
Moving guys to play together in bulk just creates pressure to play them and if they're not the best option or lose form it means coaches have to make calls. Might all be fine and they're the best options but it can go wrong too- which was the point I was making.

Souths have to balance it and take it on if they're going to take so many Broncos. If you're top of the table and flying getting the same Broncos every week life is good I guess but if you're 9th and struggling and Paix isn't your best hooker then it creates problems.

Souths had all Broncos last year and had a horrible year.

pagey

NRL Captain
You clearly didn't understand a word I wrote- that's the wow part.
No I did , my response was sarcasm. I understand you think we shouldn't push our players into positions that are taken, especially if that means a more experienced / better player being pushed out. And yes it's also a business and jobs are on the line but it needs to be a junior pathway aswell, you can't expect them to grow being played out of position or stuck behind experienced players that may not even play nrl. Maybe there needs to be compensation of some sort for these clubs, but really it's not like they're getting numpties either. These are highly rated juniors.

Allo

NRL Captain
All the more reason why we need a proper reserve grade side. They can play alongside current QCup sides. All may not survive, but the QCup has lost plenty of sides before and it’s survived.

Probably will rely on a larger squad in the future, but ideally you’d have a roughly 20/20 player split between NRL and QCup team.

pagey

NRL Captain
Moving guys to play together in bulk just creates pressure to play them and if they're not the best option or lose form it means coaches have to make calls. Might all be fine and they're the best options but it can go wrong too- which was the point I was making.

Souths have to balance it and take it on if they're going to take so many Broncos. If you're top of the table and flying getting the same Broncos every week life is good I guess but if you're 9th and struggling and Paix isn't your best hooker then it creates problems.

Where are all those Broncos now ?

BroncsFan

NRL Captain

Did the Broncos discuss their intentions with Souths and the coach before moving them over??

You would think that before you move a bunch of young players you might check that they're actually going to play first.

There's also Isaako who I believe is Souths and would be competing with Niu for fullback... suggestion he could be a utility on the bench, but you'd think the Broncos and Isaako himself would prefer to be playing every week in ISC rather than cameos off the bench

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hadeswolf

Twitter