Young broncs in feeder clubs

In the top 30 not a development player.
Their halves are uncertain.
Well you would think that would mean Taylor isn't coming back anytime soon. That would make 5 halves in there top 30

Why would you assume his shot would be sooner with the titans?

in front of him at the Titans right now is Ryley Jacks

in front of him at the Broncos is Milford, Dearden, O'Sullivan and Possibly Paix.

common sense tells you which club has the easier path to first grade

Last edited:

in front of him at the Broncos is Milford, Dearden, O'Sullivan and Possibly Paix.

Definitely Paix considering he didn't get dropped form Q Cup like Boyd did.

Titans top 30 lists the halves as Taylor, Roberts, Brimson (not only Jacks).
Same as our club, injuries push him up the order.

Last edited:
Same could have been said about a 17 year old Karmichael Hunt at fullback.

Why don’t you give Dearden more than 5 games before you write him off.
Who wrote him off ?? No mention of it.

Titans top 30 lists the halves as Taylor, Roberts, Brimson (not only Jacks).
Same as our club, injuries push him up the order.

who knows when Taylor is coming back ... and Brimson is playing fullback (and if Brennan has any brains what so ever should stay there)

Ah !, you mean Jack's, Taylor, Robert's, brimson .
Common sense tells me that it's not that different.

Ah !, you mean Jack's, Taylor, Robert's, brimson .
Common sense tells me that it's not that different.

see post above ...

for the foreseeable future the reality is that he only has to overtake Jacks

Cartwright and Peachy another 5/8 option as well.

if he can't get ahead of Carwright for a halves spot then he should just retire right now and not waste his time trying to become an NRL half.

going by your logic we need to add a few players to our list.

Turpin, McCullough, Bird just to start

Last edited:
Titans definitely seems like an easier pathway into the halves. I definitely don't believe that they somehow ruin players, I think it's just an excuse for the player just not being good enough themselves. They are definitely a shitty club, but as a player you've got to take your chances.

Who wrote him off ?? No mention of it.
Yes, because saying “How do you choose a 18 year old as your long term halfback, its stupid.” definitely sounds like you’re right behind him...

It's not necessarily who is in-front of Tanah, but who is around him.

I look at NRL Squad players in four seperate categories

Starters
Short Term
Depth
Long Term

Applying that to Brisbane...

At the start of the year Milford and Nikorima were the starters. That was far from an ideal situation given Nikorima was for all intents and purposes a depth player. Which is why both he and Seibs made the right call to move on.

Short term are your O'Sullivans and Dargan's. They've come through the grades and they're ready for their opportunity to sink or swim.

Brisbane have no depth players. The best example in the NRL Ryley Jacks. A player who has been around the system for years but will should never be the first choice at the NRL level.

Long term are your colts players who are only now getting used to the rigors of first grade football. At Brisbane you had Tom Dearden, Cory Paix, Tanah Boyd, Sam Walker and Josh James all in this position. Ideally, you should have at least one gun in this position, but you want to avoid a situation like Brisbane where you've put a lot of stock in it.

At the Gold Coast he has

Starters: Roberts, Taylor
Short Term: None
Depth: Jacks
Long Term: None

It's a no-brainer.

Perese

"Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Seibold will be keeping a close eye on the young outside back after he put in a standout performance in a losing side, with one try, try assists, six tackle breaks and a massive 251 running metres."

He mustn't be far off, he hadn't been scoring earlier this year and now he's gone back to back games with points. Hopefully he is getting into the groove and bashes that door down.

Last edited:
Perese

"Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Seibold will be keeping a close eye on the young outside back after he put in a standout performance in a losing side, with one try, try assists, six tackle breaks and a massive 251 running metres."

He mustn't be far off, he hadn't been scoring earlier this year and now he's gone back to back games with points. Hopefully he is getting into the groove and bashes that door down.

Was decent with the footy, still looked lost without it. Norths had a field day running down his edge and while he wasn't solely to blame, he didn't perform well under pressure.

He'll get a look in if Shibasaki keeps making costly errors (whether he and Staggs swap sides remains to be seen) but I'd like to see him spend an off-season on his defence and hit the ground running in 2020.

Last edited:
What the hell is wrong with our fans. First it's we can't develop enough players, now it's we can't keep them. I am astonished and proud of the way the club has turned their development and talent spotting around the last few years. Look at our team! It's full of the most talented youngsters seen in years. Will it work out? It's never 100%! Can we keep them all? Of course not!
But for mine, I'd pick the 18 year old who blitzed the qld cup and got MoM in his debut game, and has stood up to everything he has got thrown at him at nrl level and did his job, not looking out of place once, over the 19 year old who got dropped from qld cup in an underperforming team, and who's highlight reel that everyone is using as some sort of justification for him being the pick of the lot involved David fifita in 95% of them. If you cant get tries with him on your hip at under 18s you shouldn't even make the under 18s bench for souths logan.
Will boyd be great? Maybe. Is dearden ahead of him at this age? Waaay ahead. Paix? Yes. O'sullivan who is 2 years older? Way ahead. So should we keep 4 halfbacks? No. It's that simple.
I love what the club has been doing lately. It's the good old days of the broncos where nearly every talented junior in a position we were weak in was recruited and only the strong survived. Can it blow up in our face? Maybe. But when we didn't do it it blew up in our face a hell of a lot more, and when we did recruit with this philosophy we won plenty of premierships.
So what's it to be, don't recruit all these talented youngsters and be condemned to years of not winning a premiership, or recruit and develop a lot and pick the best when their 18-20 with a few going off because they don't have the opportunity or there's too big amount of money thrown at them...

Because they are the ONLY 2 options...

What the hell is wrong with our fans. First it's we can't develop enough players, now it's we can't keep them. I am astonished and proud of the way the club has turned their development and talent spotting around the last few years. Look at our team! It's full of the most talented youngsters seen in years. Will it work out? It's never 100%! Can we keep them all? Of course not!
But for mine, I'd pick the 18 year old who blitzed the qld cup and got MoM in his debut game, and has stood up to everything he has got thrown at him at nrl level and did his job, not looking out of place once, over the 19 year old who got dropped from qld cup in an underperforming team, and who's highlight reel that everyone is using as some sort of justification for him being the pick of the lot involved David fifita in 95% of them. If you cant get tries with him on your hip at under 18s you shouldn't even make the under 18s bench for souths logan.
Will boyd be great? Maybe. Is dearden ahead of him at this age? Waaay ahead. Paix? Yes. O'sullivan who is 2 years older? Way ahead. So should we keep 4 halfbacks? No. It's that simple.
I love what the club has been doing lately. It's the good old days of the broncos where nearly every talented junior in a position we were weak in was recruited and only the strong survived. Can it blow up in our face? Maybe. But when we didn't do it it blew up in our face a hell of a lot more, and when we did recruit with this philosophy we won plenty of premierships.
So what's it to be, don't recruit all these talented youngsters and be condemned to years of not winning a premiership, or recruit and develop a lot and pick the best when their 18-20 with a few going off because they don't have the opportunity or there's too big amount of money thrown at them...

Because they are the ONLY 2 options...
Good points.

BUT, I think people are pissed because we keep letting players go, mid season no less, and not signing anyone at all.

Seeya Nikorima, Walker (too young, can’t play anyway, but still a half) Boyd. First choice halfback goes down.
Seeya Roberts. Other first choice centre goes down.

I actually don’t mind what we’re doing, but letting players go mid season is just ridiculous. It only serves to weaken us. Added to the fact we aren’t signing anyone else, then we start to see a shortage in our depth when injury strikes, which it has.

By all means, if they aren’t part of the plans moving forward then let them go, just do so in the off season when there is almost no risk of it backfiring.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.