Your 2013 team.

I think Jack Reed's spot in the squad is in serious jeopardy. Good defensively but very slow otherwise. Just wondering whether Hook may persist with Glenn at left centre to accommodate staggy in the back row. Hoffman if fit deserves the fullback spot so I could see Norman being our new bench utility. He can slot in anywhere in the backline if needed. When/if Macca comes off Norman can slot into 5/8 with Wallace playing hooker.

I think Jack Reed's spot in the squad is in serious jeopardy. Good defensively but very slow otherwise. Just wondering whether Hook may persist with Glenn at left centre to accommodate staggy in the back row. Hoffman if fit deserves the fullback spot so I could see Norman being our new bench utility. He can slot in anywhere in the backline if needed. When/if Macca comes off Norman can slot into 5/8 with Wallace playing hooker.

I think Glenn is wasted in the centres. I think Reed is probably not as effective in the centres judging on 2012 form, but if he recaptures his 2011 form and the chip kick to the left corner is back on that situation changes.

I'm still keen on seeing Reed almost as the utility off the bench - cover in the backline or back row, and enabling other players to shuffle to fill a gap in the halves/hooker if necessary. As much as I love Ben Hunt, I want to see us drop the "backup hooker" off the bench and stick with 4 forwards, 1 of whom versatile enough to fit seamlessly into the centres.

I agree with you regarding the hooker on the bench thing for sure. I just sense that we need some more speed on the left side and/or someone who can bust the line. That said, having a 5/8 now who is able to pass to the left may be all we need and jack just needs to run into holes. Hope so.

Actually Ken ....that's not a bad idea re: Norman. A few guys around here seem to think he could make a decent back rower as well and as you say, Wallace could slot into dummy half to give Mc a break, leaving Norman to fill in at 5/8.

Although I'm still keen to give Norman more chances as the starting 5/8 and less chances to the ageing and bumbling Wallace.

Agree with you in Reed. I thought he was fairly ineffective this year .......or more like, he is being exposed for only being the slightly above average player he really is

dunno.....

He has to make way for Copely in the centres ...not Glenn. Glenn stays in the back row for mine. Reed's main attribute is chasing down the high kick

maybe he can do that from the wing?

i can't knock reed's effort but with copely, yow yeh, kahu, maranta, Whitchurch, bond etc available to fill outside backs positions, it might be worth shopping him around if he can't improve in 2013. The other bribie boy could be in the same category this time next year too.

Did anyone read on broncos website today that Hodges is training for FB next season. Minus injury (unlikely we may be a grand final chance). Question is... Hoffman or Copely at Centre?

With Petero retiring and with the signing of Stagg, I think moving Parker to the front row might be decent. Then Gillett or Stagg could start at lock. I wouldn't mind Stagg starting and making a bazillion tackles either - if he can help lower Macca's defensive workload, he can use that extra energy in attack.

i can't knock reed's effort but with copely, yow yeh, kahu, maranta, Whitchurch, bond etc available to fill outside backs positions, it might be worth shopping him around if he can't improve in 2013. The other bribie boy could be in the same category this time next year too.

Reed is miles ahead of any of those, what exactly does he need to improve on? Not having a broken leg or playing outside a rookie half? His defence is very underrated and when hes been missing our left side has been soft. His kick chase is also an underrated part of his game. Hes only second to Hodgo as the most complete player in our backline.

1.Justin Hodges
2.Lachlan Maranta
3.Jack Reed
4.Dale Copley
5.Jharal Yow Yeah
6.Scott Prince
7.Peter Wallace
8.Josh Mcguire
9.Andrew McCullough
10.Ben Hannant
11.Alex Glenn
12.Sam Thaiday
13.Corey Parker

14.David Stagg
15.David Hala
16.Ben Hunt
17.Matt Gillett

I agree with all that but I also think that if you are a first grade centre your kick chase should be excellent. That is a non negotiable in my view. I am just looking for someone out wide who is capable of creating something from nothing through speed or size. I just don't recall jack making a break since making first grade.

Jack was one of the best centres in the game when he debuted, I'd be giving him a little longer.

He was awesome in 2011 coming from nowhere and the thing that stood out most in my mind was his defence, I remember him shutting Gasnier down in that final with ease.

I agree with all that but I also think that if you are a first grade centre your kick chase should be excellent. That is a non negotiable in my view. I am just looking for someone out wide who is capable of creating something from nothing through speed or size. I just don't recall jack making a break since making first grade.

There's plenty of centres that aren't that great in the air. There's also plenty who rarely make breaks, Reed is a good centre although that's not to say I would be against him moving to the backrow to try someone else in the centre position but our backrow is strong enough. I remember when he wasn't in the centres this year we sucked, we were so much better when him and Hodges were back in the team as the centre pairing.

Like Hoffman, I see Reed as a handy stop-gap before we unearth a genuine superstar talent. He did a very good job for us in 2011 and was rewarded with International selection but he came down to earth in 2012. The performances he had against Manly & the Storm in particular really concerned me because it appeared coaches had identified a weakness in his game, and that was well before he broke his leg.

I still think he'll predominately play in the centres next year but I still believe Copley has more potential to his game.

In reality I think all the player shuffling etc we are all doing simply highlights how much our halves pairings struggled in the last half of the season. Essentially we need to have superstars in every position to cover for what wasn't happening.

For example I believe we will see what a truly average player Dane Nielsen really is next year at the warriors

Last edited:
Like Hoffman, I see Reed as a handy stop-gap before we unearth a genuine superstar talent. He did a very good job for us in 2011 and was rewarded with International selection but he came down to earth in 2012. The performances he had against Manly & the Storm in particular really concerned me because it appeared coaches had identified a weakness in his game, and that was well before he broke his leg.

I still think he'll predominately play in the centres next year but I still believe Copley has more potential to his game.

I think it all comes to having Norman hog the ball so much, didn't Reed blow up at him or something because of it? We've seen Reed can be quality and its no coincidence his form dropped when Norman came into the side, also having to defend next to Norman wouldn't help him much.

I think it all comes to having Norman hog the ball so much, didn't Reed blow up at him or something because of it? We've seen Reed can be quality and its no coincidence his form dropped when Norman came into the side, also having to defend next to Norman wouldn't help him much.

Yeah, that's a good point. 2011 had him outside Wallace and occasionally Lockyer. Now Wallace isn't great, but he's certainly better than Norman. I think Reed can still be a great centre - he's got good defence, great under the high ball, knows how to set his winger up too. He does lack a bit of pace, but I think his other qualities make up for that. I would like to see Copley given a shot in the centres too though, maybe when Hodges gets injured.

The trials can't come quick enough. Itching to see the team sheet for Round 1 but it's still 7 weeks away.

Unread

Active Now

• davidp
  • FACTHUNT
  • MrMoore
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Skyblues87
  • teampjta
  • thenry
  • Bucking Beads
  • john1420
  • Pablo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.