Your 2013 team.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I keep re-hasing my team so I'm going to write up the spots I think are beyond doubt or inconsequential. I'm assuming Yow Yeh won't be ready or if he is won't be considered for NRL until at least after the Origin period.

2. Copley
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Maranta [Kemp]
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

15. Gillett

So really, we're looking at 1, 6, 7, 14, 16, 17.

Most likely scenario at 6,7 is Wallace/Prince. I can't see how Hook can overlook Prince and Wallace was not uprooted during last season so I believe that is indicative of Hook's preference there.

That leaves 1,14,16,17.

16 and 17. Options, I think are:

(a) 16 Stagg and 17 Hala/Lui/Timu/Anderson. This would mean Thaiday or Parker have rotate into prop/centre of the park. Not ideal but I think most likely.
(b) 16 Timu/Hala/Lui ("impact" props - read: unfit/20 minutes game time but explosive) 17 Anderson/Gibb/Slyney/Wallace clydesdale "Nick Kenny" style props. Good for 40 minutes, 10 x 9 metre hitups, 20 tackles. Stagg for depth only.

That leaves us with the 1 and 14.

Options:

(a) 1 Norman, 14 Hunt (Hoffman Q Cup)
(b) 1 Hoffman, 14 Norman/Hunt
(c) 1 Norman/Hoffman, 14 Stagg/Hunt

IMO, I get the feeling the key decision left for Hook is really (c). I think Hoffman and Norman are battling it out for fullback with the other to be relegated to Q Cup and Stagg and Hunt are fighting for the utility spot, with Hook leaning towards Stagg if McCullough is expected to play 80 minutes.

So, my 1, 6, 7, 14, 16, 17.

1. Hoffman - better under the highball, better kick returns, better defence, Kiwi 1, preferred position is fullback. With a proven playmaker at 7, the advantage of Norman at 1 is eroded.
6. Wallace
7. Prince
14. Hunt - I just can't see Hook playing with this rotation formula as much as I hate it.
16. Hala
17. Anderson

Stagg and Norman to Q Cup.

TL; DR: What's your 1, 6, 7, 14, 16, 17?

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I said him putting on weight, look at his shoulders he has the frame to put on a lot of muscle. Why don't you read people's comments before riding in on your horse once a week to douse everyone's opinions with your ignorance and sense of self importance

What did I say that shows I didn't read your post? You said Norman should bulk up to become a backrower - I asked what skinny playmaker has made the transition to backrow (through bulking up)?

I also kind of agreed with you by saying he could be a Fitler, Barrett or Anasta mould backrower. Parker though went the opposite way and has a completely different body type and plays a completely opposite role to ball playing backrower.

No need to get personal by calling me ignorant and the rest.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
What did I say that shows I didn't read your post? You said Norman should bulk up to become a backrower - I asked what skinny playmaker has made the transition to backrow (through bulking up)?

I also kind of agreed with you by saying he could be a Fitler, Barrett or Anasta mould backrower. Parker though went the opposite way and has a completely different body type and plays a completely opposite role to ball playing backrower.

No need to get personal by calling me ignorant and the rest.

I don't even see him as skinny. Tbh I don't get the whole 'when has this ever worked' thing. I'm sure when Bennett made the switch with locky between fb and 6 plenty of people said 'when did this ever work'... That seemed to go alright...

And yes you technically didn't say anything personal, however when you start of responding to someone's opinion with 'every time I hear this I chuckle' your not usually gonna be met with hugs and pats on the back

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I don't even see him as skinny. Tbh I don't get the whole 'when has this ever worked' thing. I'm sure when Bennett made the switch with locky between fb and 6 plenty of people said 'when did this ever work'... That seemed to go alright...

And yes you technically didn't say anything personal, however when you start of responding to someone's opinion with 'every time I hear this I chuckle' your not usually gonna be met with hugs and pats on the back

More than any of that, I think you're overlooking the fact we have an abundance of awesome backrowers, and probably will for the next couple of years.

I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but a number of people used to make the same calls about Karmichael Hunt moving into lock. Why dull a naturally attacking playmaker's flair and skill by making him do more work in the forwards? And Corey lacks the pure physicality and love of the collision that Karmichael had/has.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
More than any of that, I think you're overlooking the fact we have an abundance of awesome backrowers, and probably will for the next couple of years.

I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but a number of people used to make the same calls about Karmichael Hunt moving into lock. Why dull a naturally attacking playmaker's flair and skill by making him do more work in the forwards? And Corey lacks the pure physicality and love of the collision that Karmichael had/has.

I disagree with that but in any case Norman has shown nothing to suggest he can cut it in the halves. I'm not sure if he is just keeping this amazing playmaking ability to himself but I wish he would share it with everyone

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Bob and vertigo I agree that I don't see a future for Norman as a half, he just isn't up to it. I do however see him bulking up and becoming an excellent ball playing backrower, in a similar mould to parker

I still think 5/8 will be Norman's best position ......more of a running 5/8. More of a John Sutton type of 5/8.

Having a creative half like Prince calling the shots, will take the pressure off Norman trying to come up with the magic plays by himself. Which IMO was half his downfall last year. God knows Peter Wallace wasn't offering him much.

That leaves Wallace on the bench and Ben Hunt to play in the QLD cup for another year(or more). Hopefully Hunt will stay with us long enough to see out Prince's eventual retirement and slot into the vacant half role.

Wallace with a bit of luck will be long gone by then.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I predict another year of suffering for Fourex and his anti Wallace agenda... :laugh:

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
How about a Broncos B team?

1. Joe Bond
2. Delroy Berryman
3. Aaron Whitchurch
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Denan Kemp
6. Corey Norman
7. Luke Capewell
8. Mitchell Dodds
9. Kurt Baptiste
10. Jarrod Wallace
11. Nick Slyney
12. Brendon Gibb
13. David Stagg

14. Jake Granville
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Oates
17. Francis Molo

Not bad.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I predict another year of suffering for Fourex and his anti Wallace agenda... :laugh:

Yup, just about every team issue and thread can involve Wallace bashing.

"What are you eating?" - Mr Fourex - "Red capsicums, but it tastes like shit because it is red like Peter Wallace's hair".

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Yup, just about every team issue and thread can involve Wallace bashing.

"What are you eating?" - Mr Fourex - "Red capsicums, but it tastes like **** because it is red like Peter Wallace's hair".

LOL

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I still think 5/8 will be Norman's best position ......more of a running 5/8. More of a John Sutton type of 5/8.

Having a creative half like Prince calling the shots, will take the pressure off Norman trying to come up with the magic plays by himself. Which IMO was half his downfall last year. God knows Peter Wallace wasn't offering him much.

That leaves Wallace on the bench and Ben Hunt to play in the QLD cup for another year(or more). Hopefully Hunt will stay with us long enough to see out Prince's eventual retirement and slot into the vacant half role.

Wallace with a bit of luck will be long gone by then.

Although I took the piss before, I said (before Prince was signed) that:

1. Hoffman
6. Norman
7. Hunt
14. Wallace

Looked ok given Wallace lacked the flair for 7 but had the guts and work ethic and defensive ability to be a 9.

Sucks to be Griffin right about now.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Norman's downfall last season was his own extremely poor options and reading of the opposition in attack when presented with them and this has been shown both at 5/8th and fullback. %his cannot be blamed solely on Wallace if your claiming his asset is his running game because there were plenty of opportunities in those situations where his own faults came to the surface in his own decisionmaking, you could have put Prince or Hunt in there but that wouldn't have been resolved in the same situation when the fault lies in his own game at present, we shouldn't write him off completely but his going to need to work hard on those areas if his really going to be cementing a spot in first grade longterm, I wouldn't rush him back into the halves right now.

As for the claims of Wallace not giving him much to work with, anyone without an agenda would realise prior to Wallace's mid season injuries this wasn't the case at all and even afterwards Norman still had those opportunities to do something with the ball and failed to deliver on a number of occasions, I won't deny Wallace was poor in the back end of the season and for that he needs to stand up and address this season for sure, but don't try to deflect Norman's shortcomings onto Wallace.

Last edited:
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
How about a Broncos B team?

1. Joe Bond
2. Delroy Berryman
3. Aaron Whitchurch
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Denan Kemp
6. Corey Norman
7. Luke Capewell
8. Mitchell Dodds
9. Kurt Baptiste
10. Jarrod Wallace
11. Nick Slyney
12. Brendon Gibb
13. David Stagg

14. Jake Granville
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Oates
17. Francis Molo

Not bad.

Not bad .......though I think you're being too harsh on Peter Wallace by not including him.

I have to assume you have him in your C team ?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Although I took the piss before, I said (before Prince was signed) that:

1. Hoffman
6. Norman
7. Hunt
14. Wallace

Looked ok given Wallace lacked the flair for 7 but had the guts and work ethic and defensive ability to be a 9.

Sucks to be Griffin right about now.

Swap Hunt for Prince .....and you've nailed the starters IMO.

Having Wallace on the bench strengthens our side.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Norman's downfall last season was his own extremely poor options and reading of the opposition in attack when presented with them and this has been shown both at 5/8th and fullback. %his cannot be blamed solely on Wallace if your claiming his asset is his running game because there were plenty of opportunities in those situations where his own faults came to the surface in his own decisionmaking, you could have put Prince or Hunt in there but that wouldn't have been resolved in the same situation when the fault lies in his own game at present, we shouldn't write him off completely but his going to need to work hard on those areas if his really going to be cementing a spot in first grade longterm, I wouldn't rush him back into the halves right now.

As for the claims of Wallace not giving him much to work with, anyone without an agenda would realise prior to Wallace's mid season injuries this wasn't the case at all and even afterwards Norman still had those opportunities to do something with the ball and failed to deliver on a number of occasions, I won't deny Wallace was poor in the back end of the season and for that he needs to stand up and address this season for sure, but don't try to deflect Norman's shortcomings onto Wallace.

Norman looked a lot better and played his best games when Hunt was at half.

Scott Prince will only bring more to the table for Norman to enhance his game. Given time and space, Norman's running game will open up the opposition. What you saw in 2012 was Norman getting slow and sloppy service from Wallace and having neither the time or opportunity to play his natural game.

As for the claims of Wallace not giving him much to work with, anyone without an agenda would realise prior to Wallace's mid season injuries this wasn't the case at all

LOL.....if I had a dollar for every time the Wallace fanbots bring out this excuse, I'd be able to buy Brisbane

and make damn sure Peter Wallace was on the first plane out of here. :biggrin:

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Fourex I'm not a "fanboi" of Wallace but I'm also not a blind hater either. Infact I rate Perry and Walker higher then Wallace has been at the club and if the club had the opportunity when he comes off contract to recruit someone else of note I'd be happy to, however I don't believe his solely responsible for our fadeout in recent years either and as for combinations of the halves last season, it was pre Wallace injury when both were performing well, he did well initially with Hunt yes but after that neither Wallace nor Norman stood out, if anything of the three I was more impressed with Hunt's efforts, he made mistakes sure but the mistakes he made weren't in bad choice making but rather trying his hand, I still have my concerns about Norman in areas of his game but I still hold hope he can come good. For now I thnk its best for Norman to work towards cementing fullback if he can, thats a position I think we could really benefit in if he can improve his problem areas.

As for Prince solving all of Norman's problems, not really there were glaring issues in situations where Norman made poor decisions with the ball in his hands that didn't involve Wallace where he had clear opportunities to take advantage of and create opportunities for other players particularly with his running game but he failed under pressure and unless thats addressed I can't see him improving even with someone like Prince.

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think I am leaning towards playing Hodges at fullback. Well naming him at fullback with Hoffman on the wing. Can easily get Hodges to defend on the wing or even the centres but play as fullback in attack that way we can get Copley in at centre in attack,.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I think I am leaning towards playing Hodges at fullback. Well naming him at fullback with Hoffman on the wing. Can easily get Hodges to defend on the wing or even the centres but play as fullback in attack that way we can get Copley in at centre in attack,.

I like it, would really up our attack

Active Now

• Hoof Hearted
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Cavalo
  • Rambstien
  • john1420
  • Lostboy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Santa
  • MrMoore
  • Harry Sack
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • Johnny92
  • johnyE
  • Xzei
  • davidp
  • azza.79
  • Sproj
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.