Mar 12, 2008
That's an interesting idea Beads.

So the backline would look like...

1. Justin Hodges
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Lachlan Maranta

If Copley improves his defence that could actually make for a well balanced backline. Hoffman would also have a couple of question marks on him but he's proven in the past that he could be of valuable off the wing. In fact, that game also featured Copley on the wing, and of course the legendary Mitch Rivett in the side!

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
That's an interesting idea Beads.

So the backline would look like...

1. Justin Hodges
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Lachlan Maranta

If Copley improves his defence that could actually make for a well balanced backline. Hoffman would also have a couple of question marks on him but he's proven in the past that he could be of valuable off the wing. In fact, that game also featured Copley on the wing, and of course the legendary Mitch Rivett in the side!

Yeah that's the side. I think Copley will improve just be defending in the centres. Hoffman on the wing means we still get to see his strengths. Be interesting to see if Hook is toying with the idea.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It's certainly worth trialling, Copley's defence is just a BIG if for me. Defending in the centres would have to be one of the toughest jobs in the game and Copley has had problems in the past at all levels.

*shiver, that Manly 2011 game*

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Morning gents. Few familiar faces here. For what it's worth, if Hook can get Hoffman back to his best, it's worthwhile persevering. If not, I can't find a place in the team for him. I was a fan of his since he covered for Hunt back in '08 (I think), but last year was awful. Hopefully the weight loss helps. Otherwise;

Hodges
Kemp
Reed
Copley
Maranta

Prince
Wallace

Hannant
McCullough
McGuire
Glenn
Thaiday
Parker

Baptiste
Gillett
Stagg
Dodds

Hunt & Norman to Q Cup. Hoffman too I guess. Hala was good in U20's but hasn't cut it in FG. Dodds is an excellent defender, no frills hold-the-fort type. Stagg might be wasted because he's better off playing 60+ minutes, but too good to leave out. Baptiste over Hunt for bench hooker, it's Kurt's preferred position and he should really open up the middle with his speed.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Morning gents. Few familiar faces here. For what it's worth, if Hook can get Hoffman back to his best, it's worthwhile persevering. If not, I can't find a place in the team for him. I was a fan of his since he covered for Hunt back in '08 (I think), but last year was awful. Hopefully the weight loss helps. Otherwise;

Hodges
Kemp
Reed
Copley
Maranta

Prince
Wallace

Hannant
McCullough
McGuire
Glenn
Thaiday
Parker

Baptiste
Gillett
Stagg
Dodds

Hunt & Norman to Q Cup. Hoffman too I guess. Hala was good in U20's but hasn't cut it in FG. Dodds is an excellent defender, no frills hold-the-fort type. Stagg might be wasted because he's better off playing 60+ minutes, but too good to leave out. Baptiste over Hunt for bench hooker, it's Kurt's preferred position and he should really open up the middle with his speed.

Morkel! Welcome mate!

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Welcome Morkel. Good first post mate! :thumbup1:

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008

Hodges
Kemp
Reed
Copley
Maranta

Prince
Wallace

Hannant
McCullough
McGuire
Glenn
Thaiday
Parker

Baptiste
Gillett
Stagg
Dodds

Any of our outside backs could make a fist of FB IMO. Agree with your side 100%.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

What..... ya start to get the posting withdrawls after Grandstand went down? :001_tt2:

Are you saying Hoffman had a weight problem?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
What..... ya start to get the posting withdrawls after Grandstand went down? :001_tt2:

Hoffman himself said he did

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

You know me too well. By the time I got approved here Rleague was back online. But enough familiarity on here to persevere :)

Broncs1459

Broncs1459

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2012
1. Hoffman
2. Maranta
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Copley
6. Wallace
7. Prince
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

Interchange:
14. Baptiste
15. Gillett
16. J Wallace
17. Hala

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
IMO, I think the Hodges experiment is just too risky. The only benefit is he can run the second man play well (but so can Norman, notwithstanding his many other failings).

Hodges is too injury prone, too slow for fullback and he's simply not got the physicality of Inglis to make a similar transition. Love/hate, his dummy half runs are pretty handy to our game

Without him in the centres, we've got no X factor in the backline. Reed, Maranta, Copley and Hoffman/Kemp is a pretty average three quarter line.

My 1, 6, 7, 14, 16, 17?

1. Hoffman
6. Wallace
7. Prince
14. Stagg
15. Gillett
16. Hala/Timu (love to see the kid get a crack)
17. Anderson

What I think Hook will run with:

1. Norman (Hoff QCup)
6. Wallace
7. Prince

14. Hunt
15. Gillett
16. Hala/Lui
17. Anderson/Dodds

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Looks absolutely chuffed to be back. :laugh:

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Looks absolutely chuffed to be back. :laugh:

I met him once and he's pretty overawed with public attention. I think you'll find he's just uncomfortable.

On the Hodges-to-fullback debate, I can understand people questioning his ability to handle the position at his age, but I reckon it will actually suit him. He already makes 12 - 16 runs a game, and he already goes looking for work further in, taking the hard yards in the middle so the forwards can rest. And even though he'll require more aerobic fitness and cover more ground while roaming around in both defence and attack, that wouldn't be a problem. Fitness is not an issue, in face it would be preferable to the constant up & back of the defensive line. Every short, sharp change of direction would be wearing on his back and legs, whereas the smoother, cruising movements at fullback would be a dream for him. For me, having Hodges returning the ball from kicks, routinely breaking the first and second tackle, would be worth it.

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
01. Hoffman
02. Maranta
03. Hodges
04. Reed
05. Copley
06. Wallace
07. Prince
08. Hannant
09. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Baptiste
15. Gillett
16. Stagg
17. Hala

So many question marks over too many positions tbh.. As much as I like Reed as a footy player, not sure of his longevity in the centres. And if him and Copley are on the same side together, it could well be the slowest combo in the competition. We're lacking a bit in speed out wide without Yow Yeh. Would be good if Kemp can work his way into some sort of form.

Also, fullback is another big one. Have been pretty vocal about it, but we need Hoffman to ball play and support up the middle. If he could do that, he'd be a sensational player. I rate all the other aspects of his game.

If we have to have a backup hooker, it should be Baptiste. But I reckon we'd also be versatile enough on the bench if he was replaced with another forward like Lui, Anderson, Dodds, JWallace etc. Stagg/Gillett have enough 'utility value' to cover positions if need be.

It depends how Hook wants to rotate the interchange too. Too often last year we only played with 16.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I like that side a lot, ethos. Lots of impact on the bench with Gillett and Hala.

In regards to Copley, I always thought he was meant to be pretty quick? Haven't really seen it yet, but hasn't he performed well in those agility/speed tests they do? I might just be making this up. :laugh:

Unread

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Jedhead
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.