Your 2013 team.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Pretty close to the money.

How do you feel about 1 prop on the bench (an "impact" prop at best, returning from injury) when most clubs go with two? Are you assuming McGuire and Hannant can cover 60 minutes each, Hala 20 and then a backrow rotation to cover the remainder?

Also, why do you think Kemp and Maranta are both worthy of wing spots over Hoffman?

Yeah McGuire and Hannat can both play big minutes with Hala/Thaiday/Parker picking up the leftovers. Hoffman was shithouse on the wing last year, Maranta definitely outplayed him. Kemp might be a bit of a biased call but eh.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
hey mate - can you link me to the highlights? I don't see them on the broncos site

Sorry mate, referrring to news clips from Channel 9 on Sunday (yeah, I know I gleaned my opinion from 15 secs of footage, 8 of which were Dale Copley being stretchered off).

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
1. Hoffman
2. Maranta
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Kemp
6. Norman
7. Prince
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Mcguire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday (C)
13. Parker

14. Wallace
15. Gillett
16. Stagg
17. Dodds/Hala

Last edited:
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
No Gillett?

Brain snap !!! D-ohh !!!

homer-doh.jpg

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
1. Bond
2. Maranta
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Kemp
6. Prince
7. Wallace/Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Mcguire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday (C)
13. Parker

14. Hala
15. Gillett
16. Stagg
17. Dodds

Norman can move on, it's the best thing for him and the Broncos. Hoffman can bulk up and find a spot in the pack.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I think the problem with Hoffman last year was the bulking up. I think he should trim down to bring some variety to the side. The best ball players all have pace over strength too.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I couldn't see Hoffman ever being a backrower. He just needs to get his confidence back. He was a bit overweight last year as well.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I couldn't see Hoffman ever being a backrower. He just needs to get his confidence back. He was a bit overweight last year as well.

He'll be OK ....just needs to watch out for Inglis this time. Never recovered after being smashed by the big guy.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
He'll be OK ....just needs to watch out for Inglis this time. Never recovered after being smashed by the big guy.

Well he picked up a chest injury that he played through because of some of those big hits he copped.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
1. Josh Hoffman
2. Denan Kemp
3. Jack Reed
4. Justin Hodges
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Peter Wallace
7. Scott Prince
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Alex Glenn
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Kurt Baptiste
15. Matt Gillett
16. Francis Molo
17. Jarrod Wallace

If anybody is replacing Hoffman for me it's Joe Bond. From reports, he's given us a lot of energy from the back and could give us an edge we missed towards the end of last season. What I was really happy to hear was that Hoffman's form still translated well to other positions, so if Bond can have a great performance against the Warriors, Josh can go onto the wing.

Speaking of, those wings aren't finalised at this stage, I just went with the players I know. Berryman could easily come in at this stage, it all depends on the last trial.

Bench is all IMPACT. I know it isn't really realistic to run with two rookie props but I'd much rather them than Lui or Sanderson. Mind you, I reckon with Gillett predominately playing right fringe, if I was to swap one of those props out, it may be for a backrow like Gibb or I suppose Slyney. NO STAGG. He either starts or he's left right out as far as I'm concerned. He was a waste of space off the bench for Canterbury and I'm going to hate to see us waste our time with his this year.

I'm staying loyal to Baptiste but don't have a problem with Granville being preferred. Just as long as it isn't Hunt, Stagg, Capewell or NORMAN I'll be fine.

Heck, I wouldn't even be against having Joe Bond off the bench. Wouldn't that be neat for a game or two?

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Interesting Big Pete.

I'm warming to the idea of Stagg for depth only and running two rookie props.

I like your team but would go:

14. Hunt
16. Hala/Molo/Timu
17. Anderson/Wallace/Dodds

Would love to see one of the rookie props get a bench spot and own it for us in 2013 with an explosive year.

RE: Bond, yet to see him play. Plenty ahead of him at this stage though. And Hook doesn't seem to like playing a risky brand of footy.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It's important to note this is the team I would have for Round 1. If everything turns out peachy, Hala would come in for either Molo or J. Wallace.

The only half I wouldn't mind seeing off the bench is P. Wallace. He's looked sharp out of dummy half and he isn't a slouch in defence. Hunt's had moments but I believe we have better alternatives. I wouldn't be opposed to him partnering Prince, I believe they would make a good combination.

Unread

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Scdeac
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Browny
  • Alec
  • Manlyman
  • Waynesaurus
  • Galah
  • Skathen
  • Ironbroncos
  • Ejbroncos
  • Battler
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.