Ben Hunt - Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter MaroubraBroncos
  • Start date
Re: Benny Hunt.........The best Halfback in the game!

Pretty sure 88to2006 is from the GH, Cult

Completely disagree with those calling him a 5/8. He does organise. He organises the centre of the park. He has to play first receiver cos he is better with a flatter defensive line in front of him. His running goes through the bigger forwards. If he was 5/8 he'd be taking the centres and 2nd rowers on when hitting the line and would need greater footwork like Johnson, DCE or the size of Sutton. He plays best in the middle third of the attacking line and not as good as a link man, as seen when given the 5/8 position. And yes, there's a big difference between 6 & 7 in our style cos we dont split the 6 and 7 between left and right.

If you look at DCE he plays a lot of second receiver. Glenn Stewart usually plays first receiver on that right side other than play 5. Foran plays left. DCE would be more of a 5/8 than Hunt is. Plays much better with a lot of room in front of him and has better footwork than Hunt. Hunt is like Alfie and the classic halfbacks who play better with a short defensive line in front of em and tiring forwards.

He does have a poor kicking game at the moment but thats because the defence knows its going straight to him every time. We need a better 5/8. I think if Hunt played 4-5 years of halfback like DCE has he'd be just as good as him

Just my opinion though.

He's nowhere near the best halfback in the game at the moment but he's done much better than most people think he would've gone with no support. Get a good 5/8 with him and watch his kicking and organising improve. ATM he's doing it all and it's obvious he can't do it all. Even DCE would struggle with a winger at 5/8.

I also believe he may look better then he actually is out there because he is surrounded by other muppets on the field. (Reed, Hoffman, Barba, Glenn, Kennedy, Lowrie, Hala)

The fact that he's surrounded by muppets and is playing great shows how good he is.

Your responses are illogical and stupid. The fact that he is playing this well, despite having these "muppets" around him shows that he obviously a good player. Saying one missed tackle cost us the game is absolute crap too. Yeah he should have set up better for that field goal but it's probably pretty hard with everyone on the opposition team knowing Ben Hunt will be attempting the field goal. You're either looking for a scapegoat (And it's the wrong one) or trolling.

He's like and average looking girl who goes out at night with he ugliest friends just to make herself look good.

His kicking game, lack of organisation and general poor half back qualities is what is costing us the game. He is a good footballer but he's certainly not a good half back.

He should be wearing the the number 14

He's like and average looking girl who goes out at night with he ugliest friends just to make herself look good.

His kicking game, lack of organisation and general poor half back qualities is what is costing us the game. He is a good footballer but he's certainly not a good half back.

Aren't you just a big bundle of stupid, Parker cost more than Hunt with his piss poor attempts at goal kicking.. He needs to have that job stripped from him quickly and hand it to Hunt.

What you forgot to mention is that this average looking girl isn't just being compared to her little group. She's gone out and is surrounded by models outside of her group and is still performing extremely high and isn't being intimidated one bit.

Last edited:

Lol, no one's ever going to take you seriously after your 'Gillett to Qcup' thread.

Anyone who thinks he's Q Cup standard has been huffing paint! He's been our most influential half in the last three years.

He's not a world beater, but he's clearly one of the form halves in the comp, only behind Thurston, Cronk and DCE. No shame in that.

Despite recent disappointments, he's been a shining light this season.
Compared to last season, we have :

- A halfback who can score and create points.
- A hooker playing 80 minutes with aplomb. Better performances and bigger minutes.
- A fullback who has the nous to pass or grubber rather than go himself 99.9% of the time.

Be realistic about our performances and expectations, but let's not undervalue the few improvements we've seen thus far.

Anyone who thinks he's Q Cup standard has been huffing paint! He's been our most influential half in the last three years.

He's not a world beater, but he's clearly one of the form halves in the comp, only behind Thurston, Cronk and DCE. No shame in that.

Despite recent disappointments, he's been a shining light this season.
Compared to last season, we have :

- A halfback who can score and create points.
- A hooker playing 80 minutes with aplomb. Better performances and bigger minutes.
- A fullback who has the nous to pass or grubber rather than go himself 99.9% of the time.

Be realistic about our performances and expectations, but let's not undervalue the few improvements we've seen thus far.

Really well said

I guess it's become the norm that people expect rookie halfbacks to be world beaters from the get go.

He has been in the NRL since 2009, however this is his first season as a regular halfback. You cannot become an NRL standard halfback from the bench unless you're used as a halfback, which he wasn't.

Give the guy a break ffs and wait until the end of the season before judging him. He has areas to improve on, and he has been working on those. It takes time.

Last edited:

I thought he made a few good kicks last night too. Few of them went down deep into the corner and gave us good field position, but our chase was terrible. As always too, he came through when it mattered late in the second half when he took the line on a few times and looked dangerous, before scoring himself.

Hunt is easily our best player at the moment. Put him behind Souths pack and holy shit...

I don't know what else the haters are expecting from him. Sure his kicking isn't great but he has been undoubtedly improving in that area but his running, passing and defense cannot be questioned and if not for his teammates letting him down, would have most likely lead us to victory over our last two opponents.

he also missed the one on one tackle that led to the cowboys second try last night (the try that started in their own half).

I missed this part of the game, but his defence has been great by and large. He's made some cracking one on one tackles on bigger guys.

You can argue his kicking has let us down, and I won't deny that. But singling him out for poor defense is pretty sketchy...

Need I remind everyone on this thread that it was his attempt at field goal that cost us a chance against the Rabbitohs. He also missed the one on one tackle that led to the cowboys second try last night (the try that started in their own half).

Those stats are only half the story.

A) Lockyer has missed field goals during his career ... must be an average footballer

B) everyone was complaining when we had a relatively good defensive half (i.e. Wallace) that couldn't attack for shit... now we have a half that can attack, even though had a poor effort in defense (even though it appears an exception rather than the rule) ... and people aren't happy

i suppose you'll never please everyone

Last edited:

Active Now

• theshed
  • achievedrap
  • Morkel
  • broncos4life
  • Dexter
  • Big Del
  • BroncosAlways
  • Confidor
  • Pigskin
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • bb_gun
  • I bleed Maroon
  • marw
  • Harry Sack
  • winslow_wong
  • Aldo
  • Battler
  • mrslong
  • Lostboy
  • Allo
... and 24 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.