Broncos Junior Development

Surely you look at the young guys coming through and you say to yourself, 'Alright we lost Tino but Haas, Carrigan, Fifita and Su'a are the four non-negotiables, we keep them at all costs.

I agree with you 100% but we all know Wayne Bennett operates under the belief that you don't pay huge money for forwards, you do a slow apprenticeship to get to first grade, and the Broncos don't have to pay top dollar to keep their players. Millennial kids don't buy into those ideas as much any more so maybe Bennett has to be a bit more flexible. His philosophy worked in the past but it doesn't change the fact that the Broncos haven't won a premiership since 2006.

I also think a lot has to do with where a kid is recruited from. A kid from southeast Queensland who supported the Broncos is more likely to want to stay loyal to the Broncos long term. If you look at Jai Arrow and Jarryd Wallace, they both came from the Gold Coast so it was much easier for them to go home when more money or opportunity was offered. Kids like Payne Haas and David Fifita went to school on the Gold Coast (I think Haas lived on the Coast and Fifita comes from Logan?) so we can wonder if there are any real ties to keep them at the Broncos if big money gets offered. Kotoni Staggs is another kid who shows a bit of promise but he's from Wellington in NSW. I bet some Sydney NRL clubs are already circling.

I agree with you 100% but we all know Wayne Bennett operates under the belief that you don't pay huge money for forwards, you do a slow apprenticeship to get to first grade, and the Broncos don't have to pay top dollar to keep their players. Millennial kids don't buy into those ideas as much any more so maybe Bennett has to be a bit more flexible. His philosophy worked in the past but it doesn't change the fact that the Broncos haven't won a premiership since 2006.

I also think a lot has to do with where a kid is recruited from. A kid from southeast Queensland who supported the Broncos is more likely to want to stay loyal to the Broncos long term. If you look at Jai Arrow and Jarryd Wallace, they both came from the Gold Coast so it was much easier for them to go home when more money or opportunity was offered. Kids like Payne Haas and David Fifita went to school on the Gold Coast (I think Haas lived on the Coast and Fifita comes from Logan?) so we can wonder if there are any real ties to keep them at the Broncos if big money gets offered. Kotoni Staggs is another kid who shows a bit of promise but he's from Wellington in NSW. I bet some Sydney NRL clubs are already circling.

I read somewhere that Kotoni Staggs wanted to sign with the Broncos as they were his favourite team and didn't want to sign with anyone else, so hopefully he sticks around.

What position do you think is Staggs best?

We just need to find a way to keep David Fifita.

If we can keep guys like him, Haas, TPJ, Ofahengaue, Su'A, Carrigan and Fai together our forward pack is set for the future.

It's the broncos we lost Slater, Cronk and smith. What makes you think they won't loose Haas and Fifita they've already lost Tino

Can't be sure about Cronk but hasn't us "losing" Slater and Smith been debunked a fuckton of times? The Broncos went to a carnival with a set amount to buy 4 players, they saw Slater and threw everything at him instead. He didn't take us up on the offer. Something like that anyway. Smith was a case of he saw a clearer path to 1st grade at the Storm. I'd be far more concerned if we didn't even try to go for them.

Can't be sure about Cronk but hasn't us "losing" Slater and Smith been debunked a fuckton of times? The Broncos went to a carnival with a set amount to buy 4 players, they saw Slater and threw everything at him instead. He didn't take us up on the offer. Something like that anyway. Smith was a case of he saw a clearer path to 1st grade at the Storm. I'd be far more concerned if we didn't even try to go for them.

This. Fuckwits in the media rewriting history.

Staggs is 100% Brisbane. Didn't even entertain offers from other clubs and there were plenty of them. I would be very shocked if he left the club especially if it came down to preference.

I read somewhere that Kotoni Staggs wanted to sign with the Broncos as they were his favourite team and didn't want to sign with anyone else, so hopefully he sticks around.

What position do you think is Staggs best?

He started out the year playing centre and did a pretty good job of it so I was a bit surprised when he got moved to second row towards the end of the season. It might have been more to do with the number of injuries they had in the 20's.
He's a terrible ball hog who tries to do it all himself and rarely passes but I'm sure that can be fixed.

He started out the year playing centre and did a pretty good job of it so I was a bit surprised when he got moved to second row towards the end of the season. It might have been more to do with the number of injuries they had in the 20's.
He's a terrible ball hog who tries to do it all himself and rarely passes but I'm sure that can be fixed.

So he's Moga? He may have a chance at first grade!

It's the broncos we lost Slater, Cronk and smith. What makes you think they won't loose Haas and Fifita they've already lost Tino

There is nothing about Broncos recruitment of kids in the past ten years that has me thinking they will keep them and that's the problem.

A question that I'm very interested in the answer of though, is the guy who said JT was too small still involved with the club in any way, shape or form?

Slater they offered $40,000 after he met with Bennett and Bunn. Double the Storm offer. He could see more chance at Storm and they'd given him a crack the year before at Norths' Colts.

Smith was interviewed but couldn't see a way past Ryan and Priddis so took the Storm offer.

Cronk didn't show any sign of things to come. 61 games, 37 tries, two goals and 152 points for Norths before Storm took him down there.

What about young Boyd the half back where’s he at?

Some nice highlights from David Fifita here. If he keeps developing then I don't think it'd be going out on a limb to say we need to hang onto this guy.

Active Now

• Broncos Maestro
  • Redux
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Porthoz
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.