Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Didn't anyone watch the Titans game last night? If he comes back here be better learn to bloody tackle. That effort on weighton was the worst I've seen i a while!!

I didn't but i heard he had a shocker

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Bird would be a absolutely great signing and I do see why we could use him at Fullback. He is a play what's in front of you player that is needed to play fullback. If he plays Fullback I do suspect that there will be a lot of shifting with Boyd as well most probably in defence.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
Why would we move our best fullback to the halves, arguably the best fullback in the game, to accommodate a guy who started his NRL career in the halves less than 2 years ago, played City-Country in the halves and has still played far more NRL in the halves than at fullback? I'm not against signing Bird, but suggesting it'd be 1. Bird 6. Boyd rather than the other way around just discredits the article.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I think he will go to 6 and then to center for the following year, when we get a halfback.

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012
Didn't anyone watch the Titans game last night? If he comes back here be better learn to bloody tackle. That effort on weighton was the worst I've seen i a while!!
Agreed.

And it wasn't a one off bad miss.

Bloke is a turnstile.

Moga is Carroll by comparison.

Ps Fox had some interesting stats on the Titans which effectively demonstrated that most of their tries come from kicks...that's not a stat that wins premierships.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Agreed.

And it wasn't a one off bad miss.

Bloke is a turnstile.

Moga is Carroll by comparison.

Ps Fox had some interesting stats on the Titans which effectively demonstrated that most of their tries come from kicks...that's not a stat that wins premierships.

We need a good kicker though. Ash would be a good foil for our runners.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I think he will go to 6 and then to center for the following year, when we get a halfback.

Who? Bird?

Bird isn't going to leave the Sharks to play 5/8 just to play in the centres the following year.

He wants to play 5/8 and he will go to a club that will give him that for as long as he wants.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Who? Bird?

Bird isn't going to leave the Sharks to play 5/8 just to play in the centres the following year.

He wants to play 5/8 and he will go to a club that will give him that for as long as he wants.

Yes bird and it's been mentioned that all clubs see him as a ball playing lock . A lot of players leave to play in preferred positions and get shoved into the positions that the club wants them in.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I'm hoping the fact Cooper Cronk put himself on the market throws a spanner in the works in term of some Sydney clubs, as well as the NRL's insistence not to increase the salary cap. Some clubs are over-budgeting in anticipation for the cap to increase, which would mean they might have to offload some players in a hurry if the NRL remains strong in their stance. Hopefully a combination of these two things can help deliver us a quality replacement for Hunt.

Here are a few scenarios I'm secretly hoping for involving players I feel who will do well and form a good combination if partnered in the halves with Milford:
  • Souths go on a huge form slump and miss the eight again. With McGuire's prior links to Cronk, he decides he's the man who can turnaround their fortunes, with Adam Reynolds no longer part of McGuire's plans.
  • The Sharks join in the hunt for Cronk and as has become common with Maloney, after two seasons with the club he feels its time to move on.
  • The Knights land Cronk leaving Trent Hodkinson without a club.
  • With Hunt's signature, the Dragons are over the salary cap and release a few players in the process, one of which being the off contract Gareth Widdop.
  • The Titans have a poor year and realise that Ash Taylor and Kane Elgey in the halves may not work, with the club choosing to continue to develop Elgey after all the years already invested in him.
  • And obviously I'll include Kieran Foran to the Broncos, possibly not re-signed due to salary cap constraints at the Warriors.
  • Or in a miraculous plot twist, Cooper Cronk and Tara Rushton realise life in Brisbane is better than life in Sydney, without it jeopardising Tara's media commitments, and Cronk ends up at the Broncos.

A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014
Broncos' big NRL move for Jack Bird.

Brisbane are ready to pounce with a massive offer for Cronulla star Jack Bird but Sharks coach Shane Flanagan insists the premiers can retain him.

Bird has been strongly courted by Newcastle and Parramatta in recent weeks, but the Broncos have emerged as shock favourites to secure the NSW State of Origin star's signature.

It's understood the Broncos have offered Bird $3.6 million deal over three years with the added lure of playing at five-eighth in 2018.

Brisbane are desperate to find a replacement for Dragons-bound Ben Hunt and are poised to entice Bird to partner Anthony Milford in the halves next season before a longer-term switch to fullback.

The deal is stronger than the one offered by battling Newcastle - believed to be $1 million a season - while Parramatta pulled out of the race this week.

While speculation is rife Bird has all but made up his mind to move north, Flanagan was confident the Sharks' efforts to retain him would be rewarded.

"It's progressing well - we'd like to think it's resolved by next week," Flanagan said on departure for his team's Sunday grand final re-match with Melbourne.

"We would like to think that Jack is going to stay at our club.

"He's won rookie of the year and won a grand final and played Origin all from here. So there's only blue sky for him if he stays at the club."

Flanagan has driven the negotiations with the 22-year-old, whose contract expires within the same two years as those of all their remaining premiership-winning stars.

The Sharks have already re-signed captain-in-waiting Wade Graham, prop Matt Prior, winger Sosaia Feki and fullback Valentine Holmes - however it's believed the latter would have come at a big cost.

Some cap space for 2018 could be freed however if veterans Paul Gallen and Luke Lewis opt to retire, while Ben Barba also left the club over the off-season.

Bird is keen to move to a spine - halves or fullback - position to advance his NRL career, and halfback Chad Townsend is also off-contract this season.

Meanwhile Flanagan hasn't ruled out having Josh Reynolds at the club next season, if he can't agree to terms with Canterbury.

Reynolds and Flanagan are close and have known each other since the five-eighth's junior days.

"Josh doesn't know if he's leaving the Bulldogs yet. So if Josh leaves the Bulldogs I will have a chat to him.

"He's a quality player, he's a competitor and we like those kinds of players at our club."

A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014
Seems a little rediculous to me. Why would we offer him more money than anyone else on our roster?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
$3.6m over 3 years? Jesus Christ, why didn't we just keep Hunt.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11834586
"I'd love to be a one club player," said Johnson. "I view the Warriors as a club I want to achieve success at and I genuinely think that we can do it.

"They're putting the pieces of the puzzle in the right spots to create something, not just for one year but for multiple years, and I want to be a part of all that.

"But the other side of that is, if that success doesn't happen, am I happy going my career without winning a comp?

"So moving clubs, winning a comp with other clubs, does that mean as much to me as winning one at the Warriors? That's something I really have to think about."

He has options up his sleeve however, but won't reveal which clubs are in the running to sign him.

In the gossip-filled world of rugby league, such details rarely remain secret, but Johnson and his management have done a remarkable job in keeping that information private.

"I won't say what clubs, but I'm in a position where you're going to have to see what's out there aren't you?

"I've had chats with a club or two and so I know exactly what's there.

"There's pros and cons to everything you do and this just seems to be where I'm at, at the moment."

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
So we have the money for Bird but not Maloney?

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
$3.6m over 3 years? Jesus Christ, why didn't we just keep Hunt.
I think that's inflated a bit but who cares. I hope the Broncos snare him, I couldn't care less what they pay him. He is a super talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • heartly87
  • Allo
  • Griffo
  • Mick_Hancock
  • broncsgoat
  • Jedhead
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Redfern_1980
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • The Don
  • Morkel
  • Ejbroncos
  • theshed
  • Manofoneway
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.