Drugs in sport - government investigation

No surprises really. There have been rumors about players and stuff for years re: PEDs.

As for the underworld connections. When you are famous, people meet people and eventually you are going to meet some suss characters.

Is it as simple as: there's a list of prohibited substances. You will only be banned if you are caught, and it's very difficult to detect peptides even if you are unlucky enough to be randomly tested? Substances not on the list are free to use

Everyone at every club pushes every boundary for an advantage. The Manlys and Melbourne Storms of the competition push every boundary, every refs call, every inch. It's not in the spirit of the game but in a cut throat industry like professional sport there's no goodwill or good faith.

Last edited:
Everyone is talking about Peptides!

Are they illegal and on the banned substances list?

Are they like the pep pills Homer takes when he becomes a trucker in The Simpsons?

The problem seems to be the auditing and monitoring of player medical treatment.

The clubs should be charged with keeping strict medical records for all their players noting medication taken, treatment received and any experimental remedies or supplements being provided to players. It should be vigourously audited by the NRL every year (like the salary cap) with strict liability for any breach.

Are these quacks/"sports scientists" registered medical practitioners? What professional body do they report to?

The NRL and each of the clubs probably have a duty of care to their players not to be dosing them up with fucking calf blood and untested growth hormones. To anyone but a chemist the list of banned substances (the ins and outs) is so fucking complex and difficult and vague to understand, you can't expect professional footy players (or young impressionable kids) to be able to educate themselves about it. They are in the hands of the medical staff.

You trust the advice of your team doctor.

Much like you trust the word of your CEO when he tells you your third party side deals are under the cap, but that's an argument for another day.

I think subsbligh has nailed it. The biggest outcome of this will be that there's a whole reform of sports scientists and team doctor accreditation and reporting. It's been far too loose to date.

Interesting though GHRP-6 is not on there, even though it is the one that I would assume most of the focus is on.

You can buy this shit off the internet very easily!

EDIT: although it's not on the list, I assume it comes under GH.

Last edited:
Interesting though GHRP-6 is not on there, even though it is the one that I would assume most of the focus is on.

You can buy this shit off the internet very easily!

EDIT: although it's not on the list, I assume it comes under GH.

Easy to obtain. Difficult to detect. The perfect storm.

What is a medical sports scientist?

Sports scientists assist sportspeople to achieve the best possible sporting performance by applying knowledge and techniques from the areas of biomedical science, physiology, biomechanics (the study of human movement), nutrition, psychology and sport assessment.
Sports scientists may perform the following tasks:

• conduct assessments specific to an athlete's sport to determine how to improve sporting performance
  • devise treatment and exercise programs that support athletes' preparation and recovery, and help them return to training or competition
  • conduct research, make observations and interpret data in relation to sporting performances, and communicate findings to officials, athletes, coaches and other support staff
  • design or assist in developing training programs for sportspeople to improve sporting performance and reduce the risk of injury
  • refer clients to sports medicine physicians and other health professionals such as physiotherapists, dietitians, sports psychologists and podiatrists
  • work as part of the athlete's support team to develop the athletes performance.

http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au/occupation/Sports-Scientist

To make it easier, they tell the sportspeople what drugs to take. :tongue_smilie:

Just listening to Rush Hour Triple M and they have just said they have got an annoymous email (doesn't mean it actually amounts to anything) from someone who claims they work at one of the NRL clubs named that their computers have been taken for this investigation. Now about to talk to an ex recent player at a NRL club and bigname player at that.

Last edited:
I understand what a sport scientist is; I'm in the industry. I have never heard the term medical sport scientist before. Is he meaning a sports physician? If so, they are incredibly qualified - 3-4 year undergrad, 4 year MBBS, 4 years specialty training. We would be lucky to have such individuals involved with the club.

Those in question are cowboys giving the majority a poor name. There are countless sport scientists in Australia with peer reviewed articles in credible international journals. We are world leaders in many aspects. I am confident in my belief that pushing ethical boundaries is not one of those areas.

It upsets me to see the industry targeted with cheap shots by uneducated journalists ("phy-edders" - Caroline Wilson; "hocus pocus scientific theories" - Rob Craddock). There is some brilliant work and research being undertaken by some equally brilliant scientists at universities and institutes such as the QAS and AIS throughout the country. Don't be fooled by a few self-proclaimed gurus such as Dank, they are far removed from the engine room of Australian sports science.

Last edited:
They would not be referring to sports physicians. Matt Hislop is involved with the Broncos in that regard.

I think what the Broncos were getting at is that their performance director does not prescribe supplements or medications. That's left to the doctors and nutritionists (for dietary supplements). That's how it should be anyway.

Sports science is pseudo science anyway. About as scientific as chiropractics.

They would not be referring to sports physicians. Matt Hislop is involved with the Broncos in that regard.

I think what the Broncos were getting at is that their performance director does not prescribe supplements or medications. That's left to the doctors and nutritionists (for dietary supplements). That's how it should be anyway.

Sports science is pseudo science anyway. About as scientific as chiropractics.

How is it a pseudo science? Dealing with the body and it's biochemistry in relation to exercise seems pretty scientific to me?

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Wendall Taylor
  • broncoscope
  • Fatboy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • HarryAllan7
  • Fozz
  • Wolfie
  • jd87
  • abashii
  • rj9
  • Midean
  • kiwibronco
  • Painin the Haas
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • simplythebest
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.