Greg Inglis signing thread.

Anonymous person said:
where do you draw the line? what if wayne bennett then came along and told Lockyer 'hey Locky, i really want you to stay with the broncos even though we cant afford you under the cap, but my mate has been giving me $100k a year out of his own pocket, so how bout you sign with us for $300k a season and ill just give you $90k a year out of my own pocket?'. would you be ok with that? technically its not breaking any Salary Cap rules, is it? what if Russell Crowe just wanted to give Inglis $1mil out of his pocket + a starring role in his next hollywood blockbuster, as long as he played for the Rabbitohs? youd be fine with that?

Just to clarify, in the scenario you're suggesting, are these extra payments declared to the NRL and considered 3rd party payments?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 122nq.html

What makes the Broncos tick

WAYNE HEMING
August 13, 2010 - 3:32PM

It's not just about money. It's about club culture and environment and it's about winning NRL premierships.

That's why Brisbane have been so successful in enticing quality players to the club and keeping them for less money than their abilities and reputations would command elsewhere.

As envious rivals shake their heads at the Broncos' latest signing, superstar centre Greg Inglis, the benefits of the well-established Brisbane set-up have never been more apparent.

Darren Lockyer realised it early in his career when he turned down big offers to leave, knowing there were great opportunities to win premierships and advance his rep career if he played well enough, while still making a very good living and setting himself up for life after football.

Former captain Gorden Tallis is another topline player who rejected outrageous money because he wanted to be a Bronco.

"I wouldn't be where I am now if I went to the club that offered me a lot, lot more than Brisbane at the time," says Tallis.

The Broncos' culture undoubtedly played its part in Inglis's decision to knock back bigger financial incentives from South Sydney and Gold Coast - just as it did with Tallis when he sat out the 1996 season, after falling out with the Dragons, so he could play for Brisbane the following season.

Inglis's circumstances may have been different - he's leaving Melbourne for personal reasons - but the other factors in choosing Brisbane in many ways mirror those of Tallis 15 years earlier.

"Greg (Inglis) wants to play with Darren Lockyer, he wants to win premierships," says Tallis, who won three NRL titles with Brisbane.

"It's the players and the culture that make the Broncos.

"They have a great stadium, every player loves playing there, it's a great place to live, it has a great climate and you play with great players."

Tallis recalled how former Brisbane Lions AFL coach Leigh Matthews often wrote Melbourne's weather forecast on his whiteboard to remind his players how good they had it.

"He used to write `14 degrees and raining, 12 degrees and showers, 10 degrees and windy and raining' before they'd go out to train in glorious sunshine," said Tallis with a laugh.

"All those little things add up."

Tallis noted his childhood football hero Wally Lewis played at Brisbane.

"To wear the jersey that Wally Lewis and Gene Miles and Allan Langer wore and to play at the club I supported when I was a kid meant a hell of a lot to me," said Tallis.

"Brisbane have also been super successful which helps and they play a style of football players enjoy."

Bulldogs prop Ben Hannant is another case in point as he prepares to return to the Broncos next season.

He is from the Gold Coast and his family live on the Gold Coast.

But he wants to play for Brisbane despite receiving a better offer from the Titans.

Brisbane boss Bruno Cullen returned fire this week at those calling for a salary cap investigation after the Inglis signing, saying they needed a crash course in how the cap would work in 2011.

It's not the first time sceptics have pointed the cap finger at Brisbane.

But they might do better looking at their track record on the field, because that's a huge lure to good players.

Regardless of what players achieve, whether it be State of Origin or Test success, there's a certain emptiness if they retire without a premiership.

A lot of great players who have given their heart and soul to clubs have failed in their quest to win that holy grail.

Andrew Ettingshausen's career spanned from the 1980s to the 2000s with Cronulla.

He played Origin and Tests and a club record 328 games, but a premiership victory eluded him.

Trent Barrett, retires at the end of the season having played almost 300 games for the Illawarra Steelers, St George Illawarra and Cronulla without savouring an end-of-year lap of honour.

Steve Rogers, a wonderful centre in the 1970s was another who never tasted the ultimate success, so too fiery Western Suburbs half Tom Raudonikis.

Brisbane know how to contend for and win premierships - six in the past 18 years and a remarkable 19 straight finals campaigns.

The Broncos' allure has been there since foundation chief executive John Ribot and coach Wayne Bennett assembled the first side headed by Lewis and Miles, both hotly chased at the time by big-spending Manly.

Champion prop Glenn Lazarus, the only player to win premierships with three different clubs, won two of his five titles with the Broncos.

Canberra hooker Luke Priddis, now at the Dragons, came to Brisbane in 1999 and left three years later with a premiership ring.

The club still has its share of big names - Lockyer, Justin Hodges, Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker, Peter Wallace and now Inglis.

But there were times when they had 11 and 12 internationals on their books.

To his great credit, Ivan Henjak, in only his second season as head coach, has established a department of youth in Josh Hoffman, Corey Norman, Jharal Yow Yeh, Ben Hunt, Gerard Beale, Josh McGuire, Mitchell Dodds and Matt Gillett.

That, along with the departure of Israel Folau, helped the war chest build so the club could sign Inglis.

Tallis said it was a big compliment to Henjak that, so soon after replacing Bennett as head coach, he'd been able to attract one of the best players in the game.

"Ivan deserves a lot of credit for what he's achieved at the Broncos in a short space of time," said Tallis.

AAP

Finally some much needed balance to the whole situation. I haven't enjoyed an article that much in years. Just reminds me of why I love this club so much.

The article also rams home why so many clubs are struggling and will probably never realise their full potential. The people at the top are amateaurs and have no idea who how to run a professional sporting organisation.

simmo77: "As long as you are not directly linked to said club either as a sponsor/owner or any kind of benefactor then whats the big deal?"

im pretty sure that the Thoroughbreds are directly linked to the Broncos.....

AP..................try and understand.....IT DOES NOT MATTER TO ANYONE WHAT THE COACH GETS PAID !!!!..

EVEN if WB was getting 10 thousand a year from the Broncs and ten million a year from someone else...it does not matter...get it !!!!!

Its irrelevant !!!...even if a hundred people topped up WBs salary to make sure he stayed...so F.ar.Ken what......

Its a separate thing.....altogether... have you got that part straight..... ????

**sigh**

Huge, i expected more from you. i really did.

NOWHERE did i say that the Thoroughbreds paying bennett was cheating the salary cap. read the last paragraph of my first post on the subject.

Anonymous person said:
there is a VERY real probability that it was money to make sure he stayed with the Broncos, amongst other things.

Nothing illegal or immoral about that. This story is one of the biggest witch hunts/beat ups I have seen.

AP, If I have read right, you are insinuating that the Broncos could be/have cheated the cap via payments from 'The Thoroughbreds'.

Is that what you're saying?

OMG lol.

it appears that some of you need someone to hold your hand and guide you through every little thing on here!

mic: if the Thoroughbreds are just handing out $100k a year to Wayne Bennett, whats to say they havent been handing it out to players as well?

ning: im not insinuating anything. im simply saying that its a possibility - which it is.

yeah you are ...your inferring there's some wrong doing.Trying to link wb talbot thorough breds and players and illegal activity.besmirching their character without evidence,trolling

I'll ask again, AP are you suggesting that these payments (if they exist) are being declared to the NRL or are being done behind closed doors?

For a Broncos fan Ap you surely shit on them any chance you get.

firstly, im not SUGGESTING that they exist at all.

if they did, i would assume that theyre not declared to the NRL as theyre just 'friends' giving 'friends' money.

Huge, no, im not. im not 'besmirching' anyone. im simply saying that there is a possibility that the Thoroughbreds could have been giving players money. thats not saying 'THE THOROUGHBREDS GAVE PLAYERS ILLEGAL MONEY!!!!!!'. its saying that the possibility is there that they could have, as they were giving the coach $100k a year 'secretly'.

and NO, im not saying that the Coaches wage is included in the Salary cap!

Anonymous person said:
firstly, im not SUGGESTING that they exist at all.

if they did, i would assume that theyre not declared to the NRL as theyre just 'friends' giving 'friends' money.

Huge, no, im not. im not 'besmirching' anyone. im simply saying that there is a possibility that the Thoroughbreds could have been giving players money. thats not saying 'THE THOROUGHBREDS GAVE PLAYERS ILLEGAL MONEY!!!!!!'. its saying that the possibility is there that they could have, as they were giving the coach $100k a year 'secretly'.

and NO, im not saying that the Coaches wage is included in the Salary cap!

Anonymous person said:
to be honest, i think the thoroughbreds and any organisation like it for any other teams is a bit of a gee up. its pretty much a way of circumventing the salary cap to give people extra money, or things that directly replace extra money.

i mean, it came out that over the years theyd given wayne bennett over $1 million in payments outside of the salary cap,

Then why would you say "outside of the salary cap"?

because its not in the salary cap.....

it also wasnt declared at all to the NRL or even the Broncos until the year that it came out.

Anonymous person said:
i have NO doubt that somewhere along the line some Thoroughbred deals have been used as extra incentive on top of a players contract.

Anonymous person said:
to be honest, i think the thoroughbreds and any organisation like it for any other teams is a bit of a gee up. its pretty much a way of circumventing the salary cap to give people extra money, or things that directly replace extra money.

Anonymous person said:
and whatever any of you say, whichever way you want to spin it, i still find the whole Thoroughbred thing as close to cheating as you can possibly get, if not overstepping the boundaries.

If that's not suggesting these payments are happening, and happening illegally, then I don't know what is [icon_shru

Like I said, it's a very big jump to go from legal payments to the coach to illegal payments to players.

That being said, can we start to wind this up or take it to a new thread please.

This will be the last thing I will post on the subject

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 5757620547

This is a long article and talks about a lot of what AP is carrying on about....but the relevent point is

Scanlon revealed he and fellow Thoroughbreds met with Schubert in Brisbane last month.

"We sat down with him and showed him what we did," Scanlon said. "He seemed happy with what we showed him."[/b

They declared what they do to the NRL auditor and he was happy with it and that it did not breech the salary cap.

This is from August last year....can't see how anything has changed.

draggx said:
For a broncos fan Ap you surely shit on them any chance you get.

You don't seriously believe he is a Broncos fan do you?? [icon_shru

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • ettybay
  • marw
  • Fatboy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Spoon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.