Justin Hodges - Achilles

Full strength could you imagine next years backline.
1. Barba
2. Yow yeh
3. Hodges
4. Reed
5. Hoffman
6. Milford
7. Hunt.

plus one of the best forward packs around. We would dominate.

in a glass half full way of looking at things, hodges coming back mid next year, fresh, fit, hungry, & ready to fire could be sensational boost for us around origin/post origin period. i mean, what a story that would be. i can see it now. "hodges fires broncos drive to 2014 premiership". yes

INJURED centre Justin Hodges is negotiating with the Broncos to extend his career at Red Hill beyond next season.

In a boost for Hodges before Brisbane’s clash with the Eels on Friday night, his management have started talks on a new deal for at least the 2015 campaign.

The discussions are in the preliminary stage and while they began before Hodges’ season-ending Achilles injury last Sunday, the Broncos are backing the Maroons ace to recover from his latest setback.

Hodges faces a 10-month rehabilitation and there are fears his second Achilles ailment will force him into retirement when his Broncos contract expires at the end of next season.

Hodges, who turns 32 next May, is determined to fight on. His manager George Mimis confirmed Thursday night he had met Broncos officials to discuss long-term plans for Hodges, who believes he can be an NRL force at age 35.

“I’ve had some preliminary discussions with the Broncos,” Mimis said.

“Obviously the injury hasn’t come at a good time, but Justin’s head-space hasn’t changed and it probably won’t.

“It’s always been Justin’s intention to play on beyond this deal. This injury is a significant one but not one that is insurmountable.

“As long as he’s dedicated to his recovery and rehab I can’t see why Justin can’t play on.

“In the modern game, thanks to sports science, we’ve had centres from Matt Cooper to Adam MacDougall to Matt King that have played until the age of 34 or 35.

“Justin has done it before so he knows what’s involved. Retirement is the furthest thing from his mind.”

Hodges, who made his NRL debut in 2000, began to confront his mortality three years ago when he snapped his right Achilles in a pre-season training mishap.

The following season he endured chronic hamstring complaints that saw him miss two Origin games. That convinced Hodges to take a serious approach to safeguarding his battle-weary body.

The veteran of 214 NRL games has undertaken pilates to improve his core strength. While he accepts there are critics who believe he is finished, Hodges is adamant next season will not be his last.

“I can play on for sure,” he said. “Injuries are something you can’t always control in sport, but I was always keen to play on beyond this deal.

“I’ve seen some good mates retire lately, but I don’t want to finish just yet. Hopefully we can win some more comps in the coming years.

“For the first time in my career, I backed up twice after Origin so I am doing things I should have done when I was younger.

“As you get older, you start cherishing everything and working harder on getting your body right.

“I still believe I can play until 34 or 35, the good thing with injury is I haven’t played as many games as other guys have so that has left me fresh.”

Mimis said the Broncos valued Hodges’ off-field growth as a leader at the club and his influence on emerging players.

“He’s a cornerstone guy there these days,” he said.

“His aptitude for leadership has grown immeasurably, he has been a shining light on and off the field.

“Everyone at the club agrees he is an important part of the Broncos.”

350K wouldn't be too bad.

Especially if Martin Kennedy is on that much.

Dunno how I feel about resigning him, I'd imagine he would still command a decent wage and we're not going to get any use out of him for basically most of next year, how's he gonna be at 33 coming off a year layoff? after an already injury riddled career? my guess, he will suffer hamstring injuries every 2-3 weeks as a result of being out of the game and simply getting older and we won't get much out of him.

personally, i'd be saying to Hodges, we'll see how you return next year and consider giving you a 1 year extension based on that. no guarantees.

The club is stupid if it resigns him. Simple as that.

In your opinion, of course.

It's a tough one. Like Renegade said, I'd be seeing how he goes early next year. He's still got a contract for all of next year, so we can see how his rehab goes towards the middle of next year then maybe negotiate a one year deal for 2015 pending he makes a good recovery from this injury.

It's not like Hodges is going to go to another club. Give him an extension, given all that he's done for us he deserves it. If he comes back and finds he's not up to NRL standard he can retire and then we don't have to worry about his money.

Yeah, I think Hodgo has done enough for us to deserve to be looked after. Surely his next contract will be worth less than his current. His form this year has been up there with career best. I'd wait until we were a little more sure that he will return though.

Yeah, I think Hodgo has done enough for us to deserve to be looked after. Surely his next contract will be worth less than his current. His form this year has been up there with career best. I'd wait until we were a little more sure that he will return though.

We can look after him with a job after footy if need be. I am not saying no to re-signing him but just wait and see how he is tracking with recovery and how our backs are going next year. I certainly hope if his recovery is going well and he does want to play on that he is on a reduced contract and he retires from rep footy.

Hodgo's body maybe suss, but his passion, will, determination and terrific skills are immense, and make me want to see him play for us next year.

I still believe that Hodges is one of the very few players who can create opportunities from seemingly impossible situations. And I also believe his presence on the field inspires everyone

Last edited:
Oh hey by the way people. There isn't a better example of how you need to use correct spelling to make your point clear, than using the correct spelling of the words resign and re-sign.
And while we are being grammar and spelling conscious, the correct use of wary, as in being concerned or to beware as opposed to weary, being tired.:loool:

We can look after him with a job after footy if need be. I am not saying no to re-signing him but just wait and see how he is tracking with recovery and how our backs are going next year. I certainly hope if his recovery is going well and he does want to play on that he is on a reduced contract and he retires from rep footy.
I compltely agree with your post, and it was pretty much exactly the point I was making.

I still believe that Hodges is one of the very few players who can create opportunities from seemingly impossible situations. And I also believe his presence on the field inspires everyone

Have him run drinks when he retires.

Though he'd probably still get injured.

drinks boy wouldnt be so bad, barking orders to the outside backs, keeping the wingers on their toes.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • ivanhungryjak
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mustafur
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Allo
  • Jedhead
  • Lostboy
  • Painin the Haas
  • Foordy
  • Locky24
  • Harry Sack
  • Big Del
  • Wolfie
  • Cavalo
  • mrtij
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.