Kennedy signs with Roosters

Re: [RUMOUR] Kennedy leaving the Broncos

You, and me, and her! Simultaneous.

Nah, I know Morks just gives it to pretty much anyone... even you!

He hasn't given anything to me in months :(

Slut

KENNEDY: LEAVING THE ROOSTERS WAS A MISTAKE

Martin-Kennedy1.jpg

MARTY Kennedy struggles to put into words how grateful he is to get a second chance at the Roosters after a nightmare 12-month stint in Brisbane.

“Put it this way – I would have played for nothing,” Kennedy says of his return to the Tricolours.

“I am on cloud nine . . . I can’t tell you how happy I am.

“You don’t often get a second chance in a game like ours and I am forever grateful.

“The Roosters have thrown me this lifeline when I have been struggling and I am so determined to repay them.

“I will be the ultimate clubman and give them 100 per cent every time I go around.

“I maybe took a few things for granted before. After being away for a year, I realise what a great club the Roosters are and what gentlemen guys like Trent Robinson and Brian Canavan are. You can’t put a dollar value on people like them at a football club.

“I grew up supporting the Roosters and had seven years there.

“Leaving was a mistake – I can see that now.”

Talk to Kennedy about that ‘mistake’ and things get interesting.

The hard-running forward, who was 18th man for Mal Meninga’s Queensland Origin side in 2013, won’t go into specifics of his rumoured falling-out with Anthony Griffin and other figures at the club.

But at the same time, he pulls no punches.

“Look, it’s in the past and I just want to look forward and move on,” he says. “I will say this: my form suggested I didn’t settle in and I can’t say that I did.

“If I was a better player and a better person, maybe I could have shut it all out and still played good footy.

“Things were happening off the field that didn’t sit well with me and it affected me – I couldn’t block it out.

“I went up there excited and looking forward to it and a few times during the year, I was under the illusion it was all settled.

“But there were ongoing problems that just wouldn’t go away and they got to me.”

At one stage, Griffin dropped Kennedy – one of the highest paid players in the Broncos’ ranks – to the Queensland Cup, fuelling the rumours that all was not well.

“Funnily enough, that was probably the best thing that happened to me in my time up there,” Kennedy says.

“They sent me to Ipswich – I played my junior footy there and supported them as a kid and have a lot of great memories of the place.

“The Walker brothers (Ipswich coaches Ben and Shane) were great to me and I just went back to basics and started enjoying my footy again.

“It was like a breath of fresh air.”

After a couple of games for Ipswich mid-season, Kennedy won a recall to the top grade and played his best footy in his short stint at the Broncos in the run-in to the finals.

“By then I had come to terms with the situation and, to be honest, I probably should have done that earlier,” he says.

“I definitely played better in that latter bit of the season and it was disappointing to get bundled out in week one of the finals after we built up some momentum.

“At the same time, it gave me some confidence and something to build on for next year.

“I have no illusions about my ability and believe I can contribute to the Roosters again. It is a fresh start and I’ve got a big smile on my face every day.

“I sat down with Trent a while back and told him I wanted to come home and he was very accommodating. He made me feel like I was coming back home . . . he is a great guy.”

Kennedy has only good things to say about returning Broncos coach Wayne Bennett, who ultimately gave him the green light to head back to Bondi Junction.

“Wayne was awesome,” he says. “I told him I wanted to move on and he could have made it difficult but he allowed me to go.

“I respect him for that.”

One of the reasons for Kennedy’s excitement is that he will be linking up with younger brother Sam at the Roosters.

“He has just recently been appointed assistant strength and conditioning coach at the club and I am really happy for him,” Kennedy says. “He was an intern at the club when I had my last season there in 2013 and has been given his big break now.

“I’m also living with him now I’ve come back to Sydney until I find my own place . . . so he is ordering me around at home and work!”

KENNEDY: LEAVING THE ROOSTERS WAS A MISTAKE | Rugby League Week

Wish him all the best.

Always came across as having a great attitude.

That article was in the RLW Pre-season Preview and was only just uploaded to the website. If you can find a copy, it's worth a read - a lot of the other team articles read like a post-mortum of the Broncos 2014 season.

Thought I'd also share this from the Broncos 2014 article.

"I work for the Ipswich Jets in the ISC and I am also a Broncos season member, and at the Jets worked with Marty Kennedy this year. He was only with us for a handful of games but during that period he discovered I was a school teacher and asked if he could do anything to help at school. During the season, on his day off, he drove out to school and spent 1 1/2 hours with my class. He spoke about his role at the Broncos, football in general but also about diet, sleep, his childhood, his regrets, sacrifices he has had to make, how to be a good friend, drinking, drugs, discipline and trying new things. Marty also kicked the footy on the oval with the class. He engaged well with the students and spoke to them on their level, spoke honestly and did a great job. I can't praise him enough for his efforts and enthusiasm. He is an impressive young man, which reflects well on the Broncos."

Michael Nunn

The magazine is filled with plenty of positive stories. I just thought I'd share that in case others missed out.

Another player mistreated by the Broncos. A shame really because Kennedy seems like a top bloke and I thought he was a guy who could have lived up to his potential under Bennett.

Another player mistreated by the Broncos. A shame really because Kennedy seems like a top bloke and I thought he was a guy who could have lived up to his potential under Bennett.

How do we know he was mis-treated by the club. We only have his word about that and he doesn't even say what happened.

For all we know, he is bitter about being dropped to the ISC for a big portion of the season because he was playing poor footy on the top grade

Admitted himself that a better player or person could have handled the situation better. It does sting to hear someone sing the praises of another club in direct contrast to the Broncos. Another nail in the Griffin coffin perhaps, and why I'm 100% behind Bennett.

What mistreated ...? He'd played like shit, accordingly got dropped and worked hard in the lower grades to return to form. Then he got his chance in first grade ....again and we selected him.

We didn't stand in his way when he wanted to return to the Rorters

......your accusation is baseless.

Another player who leaves says something in the media about his new club and all of a sudden Brisbane are *****.

When Kennedy goes like shit next year in the tri-colours...will Brisbane still be *****?

Kennedy just seems like an idiot. In fact any player that goes to another club and has a pot shot at his old club just comes across as a fool. At the end of the day you were paid to do a job, you didn't despite all opportunities to do so. They have been lucky enough to get another job, in his case the previous club facilitated, so just shut your mouth.

They just come across as unprofessional twats and they say this crap knowing full well the club isn't going to come out and publicly say anything against them.

I hate this crap and would hate it just as much if a player joined the Broncos and dissed his previous employer publicly.

Classless.

Just a case of an inexperienced, out of his depth first grade coach pinning an average prop forward as his 'great white hope' and paying 'overs' for him... When nature took its course and the 'great white hope' didn't live up to the coach's inflated (ie ridiculous) expectations it was always going to end badly ...

Another reason I thank God for July 20, 2014...

There's no reason to have crack at Kennedy, it's good for him that he's back in a place he enjoys.. If a homecoming Bronco was saying this, we'd all think he was wonderful.

Last edited:
What mistreated ...? He'd played like ****, accordingly got dropped and worked hard in the lower grades to return to form. Then he got his chance in first grade ....again and we selected him.

We didn't stand in his way when he wanted to return to the Rorters

......your accusation is baseless.

Another player who leaves says something in the media about his new club and all of a sudden Brisbane are ****s.

When Kennedy goes like **** next year in the tri-colours...will Brisbane still be ****s?

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Just a case of an inexperienced, out of his depth first grade coach pinning an average prop forward as his 'great white hope' and paying 'overs' for him... When nature took its course and the 'great white hope' didn't live up to the coach's inflated (ie ridiculous) expectations it was always going to end badly ...

Another reason I thank God for July 20, 2014...

God?? why are you thanking a made up character?

You'd know all about that.

Would I? What have I done that's classless beads? If your going to keep having these swipes at me on this board why don't you back it up for once?

He had trouble making the Roosters team before he left and the same problem here. There was a definite problem here but not sure what it was about

Active Now

• Justwin
  • bb_gun
  • Cavalo
  • Lurker
  • IceWorks
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
  • davidp
  • Footy Fanatic
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.