Lets discuss Barba

Remember we also have Garbutt, Wallace, Hala and Molo.

I think out of all of those Wallace has shown the most promise especially with him willing to look for offloads which seems to be crucial for todays game. But with what IBM is saying what we are really missing is a top tier front rower in the vein of the Brick. Hopefully for the last few rounds Kennedy can be given the time to shows his best form.

If we had to offload someone like Hoffman, even though i would love to see him on the wing next year, maybe we could stump up the cash for someone like Scott or Gallen.

Looking for a record dislikes with the sickening Gallen comment!

Barba has shown enough in the last few weeks in the 6 for me to think he could make a long term go of that position. His defence was most of our biggest worry but that doesn't seem to be the big issue I thought it would be. The potential is there.

From last night his ankle is still a problem for him which imo has been the reason for his below par performance at fb but he certainly has been showing his worth at 5/8.

His worth at 5/8 for mine was particularly evident in his passing game - those cut out passes were so well timed and he read the play perfectly. His passing game cannot be under estimated or ignored.

For mine, it makes a joke of anyone who says he is basically just a clever ball runner.

Barba is a class play maker, and if he had started the season at 5/8, I honestly believe we would be a lot higher on the ladder than we are now.

And what's more, all things being equal, the best is still to come. Ditto for Hunt.

It's interesting how, when our halves gain confidence and actually read the play and make things happen, the whole team lifts, supports the ball carrier, chases kicks and the whole side plays with more energy and passion

Last edited:
I thought the warning had been clear before, but let me make it clearer:

Keep the fucking Boyd / Bennett discussion in the threads it belongs. This one is about Barba!

I have moved the posts, but next time thread bans will ensue.

I'd have:

1. Milford
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Vidot
6. Barba
7. Hunt

Hunt and Barba can create so much space for Milford.

This reminds me so much of the Broncos glory days between 97 and 2000. Champion halves an a fullback who could double as a second 5/8th (and yet quick enough to get through a gap himself).....with Macca that's 4 points of attack. If the forwards go forward then I think we might do some serious damage next year!!!!

This reminds me so much of the Broncos glory days between 97 and 2000. Champion halves an a fullback who could double as a second 5/8th (and yet quick enough to get through a gap himself).....with Macca that's 4 points of attack. If the forwards go forward then I think we might do some serious damage next year!!!!

We have been installed as 2015 premiership favorites under the assumption that that will be our spine.

Milford had a pretty poor game in the 6 tonight. Definitely fullback next year.

Means nothing really, Raiders are a dreadful team I wouldn't take his performance with them as some kind of indicator. That being said, I've always been an advocate of Barba #6 Milford #1

After watching that game Barba does look a lot more comfortable at 6 than Milford does. Defensively Milford is better, but I think at this stage of his career he gets to distracted by the play making, which takes away some of his attacking flair. Although I don't think the Raiders way of attacking really suited him.

Milford has had a few games here and there in the last 2 seasons, hasn't been flash in any of them. I think he's definitely a primary fullback atm.

1. Milford
2. TBA
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. TBA
6. TBA
7. Hunt

That's our line-up for next season in my books, I've got no idea what wing combinations and Five-Eighth we'll have. Should be Barba, could be Boyd, could be Boyd on the wing, could be Vidot, Reed, Maranta.. NFI.

Apparently the Broncos are looking to re-sign Vidot, so I assume he would be on the wing.

My final prediction is:

Hoffman to go
Boyd/Vidot to wings
Barba to stay in the 6

Boyd will be on the left receiving balls from Barba. Vidot will be on the right entirely as a metre eater role. Hunt will be dummy running himself mostly and by the time he's ready to pass, all Vidot will have to do is dive over.

This is strictly what I saw from the Raiders game last night, so take out of it what you want... BUT...

For mine, Milford is clearly NOT a 5/8. He looks to me like he's thinking in his head, "Come on Tony, you've been put in 5/8 mate, you need to pass the ball", so all he was looking to do was pass, every time he got the ball. He threw a few hospital passes to Papali and his kicking game was poor. Not once did he try to take the line on.

Now that, to me, is taking away his best asset: his running game. He should be taking the line on pretty much EVERY TIME he gets the ball. He's so fast and so dangerous, that to put him in a promoting role like 5/8 totally nullifies him as a player.

Now, you compare him to Barba, Barba has far more natural ball playing skill (granted, it's mostly PROBABLY because he has more NRL experience), however, Barba is able to read the game and when he gets the ball, he's looking to see what the defence is doing, how they're aligned in the defensive line, where the holes are, what's the best option (kick, run or pass), then making the decision and going with it - in short, he has better vision. FAR more suited to the 5/8 role.

I'm not worried about defence. Defence can be taught and covered. Barba and Milford are equal in that regard, in my opinion.

Some of you might say, "But he's only played 1 game there". Well, he's played a few, but that's not the point I'm making. Simply putting Milford into 5/8 changes his thought pattern completely. It changes him from a damaging ball runner, into someone who is simply looking to promote the ball because he thinks that's what his job is. We need him taking the line on and hitting space.

Last edited:
I'd prefer to see how Milford goes in the halves after a pre-season training in the position before I say he isn't a 5/8th. I'd much prefer him at fullback though.

I'd prefer Barba got a full pre-season at 5/8 myself, for all the reasons I mentioned above. Milford could do with a pre-season of learning how to catch bombs.

Remember Sticky can't coach halves.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Stix
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • theshed
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • winslow_wong
  • ezpz
  • Allo
  • The True King
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • mrslong
  • Aldo
  • BruiserMk1
  • Skyblues87
  • Cavalo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.