NRL Player Movement and Rumours 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not ... we will miss him more than people realise
I don't think we will at all, Blair gives no go forward. He does a few good things every now and than like controlling the ruck. Matt Lodge will surprise a few.

I'm not ... we will miss him more than people realise

He phoned it in from the moment the Warriors offered him Lotto money, which isn’t a good sign for how he’ll play for them. But I agree, Bennett simplified his game and worked to his strengths, resulting in him being our defensive lynchpin, something we’ve been missing for years.

With a mobile pack, we’ve needed someone to stop bigger opposition forwards in their tracks, and the difference Blair made in that regard was eye-opening. But maybe with Lodge and a few other tall, heavy forwards, we may not need to depend on someone like Blair to heavily.

Unless the contract is torn up due to breach (disciplinary reasons normally), the player has a contract registered with the NRL, and that's binding. It's done to protect players, so that if they are shoved out the door, their contract $$ are guaranteed. So even if the Titans "release" Hayne from his contract, and another team is not willing to foot the full bill, the Titans have to make up the difference.

Eg, Hayne is on what, $1.2 million? If the Eels only want to pay him minimum (eg, $100k), the Titans have to pay him the remaining $1.1 million. Of course that would be stupid of the Titans, and there would be clubs willing to offer more. So the Titans have some power even in this case - as in, they can release him if he signs with a club that wants to foot half the bill, but they can refuse to release him if clubs only want to pay a minimal amount.

If he requests a release the Titans would only grant it on the basis that they don't have to pay any more than the months they owe. Why else would you release anyone?

Chooks now have a spare mill to buy Stayne and are looking for an outside back.

He phoned it in from the moment the Warriors offered him Lotto money, which isn’t a good sign for how he’ll play for them. But I agree, Bennett simplified his game and worked to his strengths, resulting in him being our defensive lynchpin, something we’ve been missing for years.

With a mobile pack, we’ve needed someone to stop bigger opposition forwards in their tracks, and the difference Blair made in that regard was eye-opening. But maybe with Lodge and a few other tall, heavy forwards, we may not need to depend on someone like Blair to heavily.

with Blair gone, we are also going to need one of the forwards to step up the harassment of opposition kickers, i don't want us to go back to giving them all the time in the world to get their kick away.

The opposition kickers need to have in the back of their minds that they could get smashed at any second.

with Blair gone, we are also going to need one of the forwards to step up the harassment of opposition kickers, i don't want us to go back to giving them all the time in the world to get their kick away.

The opposition kickers need to have in the back of their minds that they could get smashed at any second.

This is where Sims comes in. I think Sims could do Blair’s role better defensively and they both offer zero in go forward, but Sims runs fantastic lines when he wants to and has a nice offload, though not as good as Blair's in general.

I’ve been saying for a while that I don’t really think we will miss Blair as much as many think.

If he requests a release the Titans would only grant it on the basis that they don't have to pay any more than the months they owe. Why else would you release anyone?

Chooks now have a spare mill to buy Stayne and are looking for an outside back.

It doesn't and never has worked that way.

I'm hoping Sims can still be that person. He's like a Blair Lite, which was fine for how much he was being paid by us, but apparently we're paying his full contract from now on so hopefully he earns it. He's shown glimpses of just how good he can be on both sides of the ball, just needs consistency. Still young, so hopefully that'll come.

Edit: Sproj'd

It doesn't and never has worked

Im not trying to be a dick but that just does not sound right.
How can anyone sign a contract, ask for a termination and get the terminating club to pay any short fall.
Do you have a link, this is doing my head in.
Also on 360 this week Rothfield said he was delaying the request until January so the tits were legally bound to pay $90k for both November and December, indicating ( to me at least) that they don't have to pay after the release is granted.

Last edited:
I don't think it does work like that. He is waiting until he returns from holidays because his Eels contract won't start until he shows up to training. If he leaves now he misses out on the pay whilst he's away on holidays. What other reason would he have to wait?

I don't think it does work like that. He is waiting until he returns from holidays because his Eels contract won't start until he shows up to training. If he leaves now he misses out on the pay whilst he's away on holidays. What other reason would he have to wait?

according to the Sydney media ...

maybe he is waiting until he actually has a firm offer from the from the Eels so he doesn't burn his bridges at the Titans.

maybe there is some negotiating going on behind the scenes between the Titans and the Eels.

maybe Hayne is just a **** and trying to get more out of the Titans so the Eels have to carry less under the cap

The NRL player contracts run from November to October and players are paid monthly.

How can anyone sign a contract, ask for a termination and get the terminating club to pay any short fall.
Also on 360 this week Rothfield said he was delaying the request until January so the tits were legally bound to pay $90k for both November and December, indicating ( to me at least) that they don't have to pay after the release is granted.
I'm with you. The Titans would be better off sending him to ISC rather than strengthen their opposition.

according to the Sydney media ...

maybe he is waiting until he actually has a firm offer from the from the Eels so he doesn't burn his bridges at the Titans.

maybe there is some negotiating going on behind the scenes between the Titans and the Eels.

maybe Hayne is just a **** and trying to get more out of the Titans so the Eels have to carry less under the cap
Very true. I just can't see how the Titans should be forced to pay when it's Hayne who is breaking the contract. It just doesn't make any sense.

Maybe he plans on signing a smaller contract with the Eels and figured an extra 180k would be nice.

The NRL player contracts run from November to October and players are paid monthly.
How does a contract signed in December start in November as far as pay goes?

I'm with you. The Titans would be better off sending him to ISC rather than strengthen their opposition.
He wouldn't stay. He would just leave and go play Japanese rugby or darts or some shit.

I just can't see how the Titans should be forced to pay when it's Hayne who is breaking the contract. It just doesn't make any sense.

forget logic ... this is the NRL.

remember, we were paying Barba despite him asking for a release from his contract with us.

I get it, and it's something that does need a better explanation, but I can't find anything direct from the NRL on it.

But in every prior situation involving a player changing clubs before a contract is finished, no one has ever just been able to "break" the contract mutually. I suspect there are protections in place put there by the RLPA, but unless a player is simply retiring, if they have an NRL contract in place, they are assured that contract value as a minimum. I can not recall one single instance where a team+player have been able to terminate the contract on mutual grounds, and the player move to another club on a smaller deal.

The longer he waits the more the Titans would have paid him already. This reduces the amount the Eels need to fork out to match the guaranteed $1million+ contract, and reduces the amount of leverage the Titans have in negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Cavalo
  • broncoscope
  • lynx000
  • Lazza
  • Johnny92
  • Sproj
  • Shane Tronc
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.