[Official] - Milford signs with Broncos

I'll believe Milford will be a Bronco when he runs out for us in Round 1 next year and not a second before.

If it was the other way around it would be "Broncos exploiting loopholes in attempt to convince player to renege on signed contract".

Broncos won't fall for it. BS designed to trick us in to using more of our cap.

im leaning towards milf will stay in canberra. canberra can just offer him everything hes the only star signing in there roster and i can only imagine the amount of things his parents have been given to make them happy. but tbh u cant blame canberra they have the right to keep him and even though will be sad if broncos dont ahve him a part of me will be happy that a team gets to keep there player that they have put so much time into. i mean we know all to well how bad it is to lose players its happened to us more then any other team neally

BS designed to trick us in to using more of our cap.

Geez, I hope it doesn't work. We should definitely not be paying overs for this guy whether he wants to come to Brisbane or not. He may be talented, but at the end of the day he's barely played 50 first grade games with no Origin or Test experience.

He should be paid accordingly. I don't want the club to get into a pissing contest with the Raiders.

Yet again no quote from Milford.

Not only that, it's just a nothing article. What the raiders want to keep him?!? Wow, groundbreaking. In other shocking news bacon is awesome, want to write an article about it?

im leaning towards milf will stay in canberra. canberra can just offer him everything hes the only star signing in there roster and i can only imagine the amount of things his parents have been given to make them happy. but tbh u cant blame canberra they have the right to keep him and even though will be sad if broncos dont ahve him a part of me will be happy that a team gets to keep there player that they have put so much time into. i mean we know all to well how bad it is to lose players its happened to us more then any other team neally

Right after Milford signed with us, there were 2 or 3 signings of young players (eg, one or both Lee's) that just screamed desperation by Ricky to save face and not look like the coach who lost all the local talent. Those contracts would have been worth big money, otherwise the wouldn't have depended on Milford knocking back their offer. If they go and pay big overs for Milford too, they'll have to bleed other talent. And put a huge strain on their caps for the next few years. I'm not saying it won't happen, because no one can screw up a team's balance like Ricky "Tupou $400k" Stuart. I'm saying he won't be the only player on "star" money and wouldn't be a simple inclusion in the squad.

I really think Milford will be here next year no matter what story gets published. If it were a simple task for Canberra to pay him overs and to move his family down there then he wouldn't even consider a move to Brisbane. I believe the Broncos shafted Wallace and Prince off because they expected Milford to be the #6 this year, which was the way it was going until the last minute (if it were a full backflip Inglis style, it wouldn't of made it this far), then Kahu is chosen as a gap fill 6 and gets injured so we end up with Hoffman turtle shelling it up. The only reason hook doesn't move Hoffman is because Kahu is injured, I can easily see Kahu at 6 first game back after injury (won't save the season). Personally, I don't understand why they didn't give Hunt/Strasser combo a shot at game 1, Hoffman is just bleh and it went unnoticed? I don't get it, I mean, Kahu trains at 6 all preseason and Hoffman gets slotted in after an injury, where did that come from? Jeez, this is turned into an anti-Griffin/Hoffman post lol Milford will be here next year.

Disadvantages the Broncos have that other clubs don't have.

- Losing star players every year which star players did you lose last year?? Wallace? lol prince?? come on...
- We breed them, other clubs buy them I don't believe milford went through your grades, you guys didn't want him, but I will give you that for a wealthy club your club does do a lot of its own breeding, though that appears to be a changing philosophy.
- Anthony Griffin ill take griffin over furners reign of terror any day, we are still the McIntyre family farm that appears to be a club to give the bloke tax benefits, overall you would have to say the broncos have been run pretty well from a back office point of view.
- No Sunday games making it harder for fans to get to some games I agree, but tbh getting to Suncorp on a Friday night is easier then getting anywhere at Sydney on a sunday. live in Sydney and Brisbane is to us what Canberra is to you guys.
- Definitely don't have the pick of the juniors in our city, and I will never understand why people think we do. People either love or hate us and lots of Brisbane based juniors are fans of other clubs and therefore hate us. well most clubs have the pick of the juniors in their area, if you guys don't you are doing something very wrong. IMO you do.
- Being owned by the same company that owns the Courier Mail how can this be a bad thing, you get free publicity campaigns from getting people excited about games and interest in the club, to running whatever agenda that assists the club.
- Having a whole state's media slander them constantly for their previous success tbh I think is a bit of a toss, success is expected due to the broncos advantages and if they don't get it they should be slandered. lets be honest here if they didn't put a monopoly on clubs in the nrl more Brisbane clubs might be in the big league to give the rugby league community of Brisbane success.
- Bill Harrigan had on my heart Brisbane get reffed at home better then anyone except for the tigers at leichhardt and maybe manly at brookvale, they are reffed the same as anyone away. I am not sure this is what you are going out though.
- Broncos greats helping other clubs all clubs greats/ ex players help other clubs, you have to grow the rugby league pie not just think about your own little slice.
- Cap changes happen when other clubs lose players but we always lose players and nothing is said. What's the difference between Civoniceva and G. Stewart? - if the cap changes for stewart I agree that's garbage, but easts and manlys inside help from the nrl is hardly a disadvantage to the broncos the other 13 clubs don't get special treatment either.
comments in bold

Right after Milford signed with us, there were 2 or 3 signings of young players (eg, one or both Lee's) that just screamed desperation by Ricky to save face and not look like the coach who lost all the local talent. Those contracts would have been worth big money, otherwise the wouldn't have depended on Milford knocking back their offer. If they go and pay big overs for Milford too, they'll have to bleed other talent. And put a huge strain on their caps for the next few years. I'm not saying it won't happen, because no one can screw up a team's balance like Ricky "Tupou $400k" Stuart. I'm saying he won't be the only player on "star" money and wouldn't be a simple inclusion in the squad.

yea buts its reported over a million hes been offered. not to mention can u imagine the sort of things canberra have bought his parents. none of that will come under the cap.

and u can see how desperate canberra are are they would be making them feel like royality. ive never seen a club in the history ever show such desperation in openly saying they want to make a player renegade on a signed deal. most clubs just say sad we lost him but we move on.

in the end it sounds like he will do what his parents want .our biggest hope is that they truly do love qld and will miss being around there family to much more then the money and *gifts* they would be getting from canberra.

if it was just up to milford more then likely he would be staying at raiders imo. its the only first grade club he knows he gets along well with all the players and papali is his best mate. if u were a young fellow and were being offered way more money to stay at the only first grade club you know with your mates or moving to a new club for less money what would you pick?

hes obviously extremely close to his mum and dad and he desperatly wants to be with them. so in the end whatever they decide to do is what he will decide to do as well.

comments in bold

As to the players we lose, it's not always the top 17 that impacts us. Players like Baptiste have been in our system a long time and will soon be hitting their straps. Where did Kurt go again? Think players like Tariq Sims, never played a single NRL game for us but was most definitely developed in to the player he is by the Broncos. How many rep players started off as Broncos?

I'll say it again, I despise people who rewrite history to bullshit their agenda. The Broncos did want Milford. They couldn't match the money the Raiders offered so went in the direction they felt would end up better value.

Just about every team has affiliations or feeder teams from "our" region. You don't see the Broncos putting development bases in Canberra. The Sydney teams look after what they can of their own regional patch but up here it's a feeding frenzy.

yea buts its reported over a million hes been offered. not to mention can u imagine the sort of things canberra have bought his parents. none of that will come under the cap.

and u can see how desperate canberra are are they would be making them feel like royality. ive never seen a club in the history ever show such desperation in openly saying they want to make a player renegade on a signed deal. most clubs just say sad we lost him but we move on.

in the end it sounds like he will do what his parents want .our biggest hope is that they truly do love qld and will miss being around there family to much more then the money and *gifts* they would be getting from canberra.

if it was just up to milford more then likely he would be staying at raiders imo. its the only first grade club he knows he gets along well with all the players and papali is his best mate. if u were a young fellow and were being offered way more money to stay at the only first grade club you know with your mates or moving to a new club for less money what would you pick?

hes obviously extremely close to his mum and dad and he desperatly wants to be with them. so in the end whatever they decide to do is what he will decide to do as well.

Actually all of that will count under the cap.

yea its actually a well known and has been said hundreds of times before taht neally every club now has there own talent scouts all over qld. and no other team really realised how much broncos lose.

what shits me off the most is other fans accusations that broncos just buy talent and never develop when in fact the broncos have the most own developed players in the competition buy a huge margin.

so many other fans dont realise how much we lose. so many players in our system who we develop that never get to play first grade for us before getting poached. you can be angry all you want at loosing your players but dont start making up bs that we get everything our way and handed to us.

Actually all of that will count under the cap.

lol yea i know legally it suppoe to but come on foordy you know that when it comes to offering other things besides money to players or family its never counted under cap . everyclub does it because theres no real way of tracking it. can gaurantee the raiders haver offered them everything but the kitchen sink to stay in canberra

Advantages the broncos have that other clubs don't have.

- Almost every week Friday night free to air exposure = more fans more money etc etc.
- One team in a rugby league city.
- Pick of the juniors from that one city.
- They are owned by the same company that owns the courier mail.
- They were owned by the same company that owned the half the NRL.
- The third party agreements that come from the above.

Arguably a lot of the above advantages weren't earned by the broncos directly either, but by the BRL clubs that came before them.

Eitherway, if you were supporting a club that had gone through 20 years of mediocrity only to have your best player taken by a club with the above advantages how would you feel about that club?

TBH I think if it was a Sydney club the uproar would be much much bigger.

That's a good point. I really do feel for you that you have to contend with that other Canberra team!

What happens to the Milfords if both the parents get homesick while staying in Canberra ?

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Manofoneway
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Santa
  • lynx000
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Big Del
  • Bucking Beads
  • jarro65
  • FACTHUNT
  • BroncosAlways
  • Rambstien
  • mieko
  • Gaz
  • johnny plath
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.