[Official] - Milford signs with Broncos

Hi just noticed this story on the canberra times website. All I can say is please keep doing this Ricky....

Anthony Milford has been told by the Raiders to miss Samoa's clash with Fiji next month.

Adjust font size

Read Later

By*JON TUXWORTH

The Canberra Raiders have told Anthony Milford he won't be playing for Samoa on May 3, coach Ricky Stuart advising him to bypass the match to nurse a niggling medial ligament knee injury and boost his Origin chances.*

Stuart this week advised the star fullback to use the NRL's representative break to return to full fitness.*

The Raiders weren't afraid to put their foot down, despite trying to convince Milford to remain in Canberra beyond this season and to back-flip on a two-year deal with the Brisbane Broncos.*

Advertisement

"" style="margin: 0px auto; padding: 0px; font-size: 0px; display: block; border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;">Storm fullback Billy Slater has some competition on his hands for the Maroons No. 1 jersey.

Milford was outstanding in the World Cup for Samoa, which*will play Fiji for the final Four Nations berth at Penrith.

But given the 19-year-old's importance to Canberra, he will be watching from the stands.

Milford has played with heavy strapping on his left knee for the past two games, and was well below his dynamic best in last week's loss to Newcastle.*

One of Stuart's assistant coaches at the Raiders, Matt Parish, is also Samoa's head coach.*

*''He definitely won't be playing for Samoa, I've spoken to him and he's fine about it,'' Stuart said.*

''We've had a good discussion about it and it's the correct decision for him moving forward.*

''He wants to focus on Queensland and that's what he should be doing, too,'' he said.*

''I'm very confident he will play Origin - when is the question on everyone's lips.*

''He'll get his opportunity at some stage,'' Stuart said.

Under new eligibility rules the 19-year-old could play for Samoa, then pledge his allegiance to Queensland and Australia.

Maroons coach Mal Meninga and Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens have both stated publicly he is on their radar as a possible Origin and Four Nations bolter.*

The fullback battle between Milford and Billy Slater will be a highlight of Canberra's home clash with Melbourne on Easter Sunday.*

Canberra (2-4) must win to avoid losing touch with the top eight after back-to-back losses against Penrith and Newcastle.*

It is also looking to snap a record six-game losing streak, which began with a club record 68-4 belting by the Storm in round 21 last year.*

While Slater is the long-term Australia and Queensland custodian, Milford was*in superior form to his rival earlier this season.*

Slater is playing more of a distributor role for Melbourne this season, and as a result outpoints Milford in line break assists.*

But Milford is neck and neck with Slater on try assists, and his more devastating running game means he leads the tries scored, tackle break and line break categories comfortably.*

Stuart said earlier this week that teams were physically targeting Milford, but he was tough enough to handle it.

''I think Billy Slater's the type of player Anthony should model his game off,'' Stuart said earlier this week. ''They're very similar in ability. Billy Slater is - and has been - the most wonderful player.

''Billy would even agree ... that he probably didn't handle it [the physicality] as well as Anthony is today when he first started. But he's learnt that through his maturity and he's a very tough fullback, Billy Slater.''

Stuart also backed Raiders back rower Josh Papalii to retain his Australia spot for next month's Test against New Zealand in Sydney, despite a quiet return from injury last week.*

Papalii failed to have his usual impact against the Knights after three weeks out with ankle syndesmosis, and requires a strong game against Melbourne to be guaranteed his place.*

''He's a young representative player now and he hasn't let a rep jumper down since he's been involved with Queensland and Australia,'' Stuart said.*

''If he gets picked, and I'm expecting him to, I know he won't let anybody down.''

MILFORD VERSUS SLATER

How they compare statistically this season*

MILFORD*

Tries: 2

Hey John Tuxworth. In regard to the Queensland and Australian no 1 jersey, I've got 2 letters for you . GI.
in a side note , I'm so touched the big rick has queensland's best interests at heart . I spose if you can't beat em.

On only losing Wallace + Prince last year.

Can anyone remind me who the last 'will they or won't they' Round 13 player was?

Sure seem to recall it came from Brisbane...but who?

By the by this little Greenhouse/BHQ rivalry is pretty silly. Both sides are as bias as each other, sadly neither side will admit that both make good points and have quality posters - which is true. Obviously this is a sticking point for both clubs and while I've been disappointed in the cross-forum behaviour from both sides, I don't think it stands in the way that both forums are pretty neat.

In essence - BHQ + Greenhouse - yeah!

Last edited:

Can anyone remind me who the last 'will they or won't they' Round 13 player was?

A lot of people were counting down Round 13 last year because that's when Corey Norman could no longer stay with us.

Outside of that the last player to actually backflip was Papali.

A lot of people were counting down Round 13 last year because that's when Corey Norman could no longer stay with us.

Outside of that the last player to actually backflip was Papali.

reading reports about the Papalli back flip (including some quotes from Papalli himself), signing with Parramatta was just a ploy to get more money out of the Raiders, and it worked. he never had any intention of honouring the Eels deal, as long as the Raiders came to the party with a good offer. and if the Raiders didn't he still had the big Eels contract as a backup.

IMO, that is the big difference between the two. Milford didn't sign with as as a negotiating strategy like Papalli and the Eels

Beware Milf, the Raiderps screw up yet another professional relationship.

No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au

The raiders have every right to make that request and I'd question WTF the NRL is doing putting Andrew Dunemann anywhere near Canberra games as a video ref after he was assistant coach of that club only last year ???!!! That is absolutely ludicrous ... completely unprofessional from the NRL

Last edited:
A mate of mine wrote on Milfords twitter account... People stop making stuff up he's coming to brisbane and milford liked it. Read into that what you will

By the by this little Greenhouse/BHQ rivalry is pretty silly. Both sides are as bias as each other, sadly neither side will admit that both make good points and have quality posters - which is true. Obviously this is a sticking point for both clubs and while I've been disappointed in the cross-forum behaviour from both sides, I don't think it stands in the way that both forums are pretty neat.

I never said they were all dickheads, in fact I mentioned that a lot of people made some very good points and often. However, I just couldn't get over some of the pettiness. I was reading things saying they would be ok with if Milford signs for Raiders but turns out to be a bust and they are screwed in terms of the cap, just as long as we don't get him. It seemed like they hated us more than they liked their own team.

and that Greeneyed dude taking massive exception to a few people calling him "GE".

I never said they were all dickheads, in fact I mentioned that a lot of people made some very good points and often. However, I just couldn't get over some of the pettiness. I was reading things saying they would be ok with if Milford signs for Raiders but turns out to be a bust and they are screwed in terms of the cap, just as long as we don't get him. It seemed like they hated us more than they liked their own team.

and that Greeneyed dude taking massive exception to a few people calling him "GE".

They are also claiming we don't raise our own juniors by bringing up us buying Petero Civoniceva back from Penrith hahahahaha. That will do me..

Seems the last reason Milford had for going to Brisbane has now also turned up in Canberra...

imagejpg1_zpsc6732757.jpg

There are a lot of things out of proportion in that picture.

Sure seem to recall it came from Brisbane...but who?

Corey Norman.

Btw, did anyone hear Rabbits at the start of this arvo's game? He said something along the lines of "And here's Milford, in the middle of a tug of war between the Broncos and the Raiders, I for one hope he stays at Canberra"

Why would he want him to break his contract?.. One of the most unprofessional things I've heard him say.

Btw, did anyone hear Rabbits at the start of this arvo's game? He said something along the lines of "And here's Milford, in the middle of a tug of war between the Broncos and the Raiders, I for one hope he stays at Canberra"

Why would he want him to break his contract?.. One of the most unprofessional things I've heard him say.

Rabs is a senile old fool.

I try & block out anything Rabs says these days.

That Greeneyed dude kept complaining that people on here were calling him "GE". That's a pretty strange thing to be annoyed about.

He hates being called Conroy even more haha. He was given that nickname for trying to censor everything he didnt like just like Senator Conroy. Thus he became the Greeneyed Conroy...

conroyprotectred.jpg

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  • theshed
  • Adammacca
  • Bucking Beads
  • Gaz
  • pennywisealfie
  • Manofoneway
  • BroncsNBundy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.