Official Queensland Side For Game 1

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Re: Leaked Queensland Side For Game 1

Yeah, good stuff.

Personally I'd have Lawrence or Lillyman ahead of McGuire and Kennedy. I just don't think the latter two are ready yet, and we're better off sticking with a player with more experience and who's in better form.

Te'o would be my pick out of that lot and I'd have him before Papalii. Papalii maybe in better form, but Te'o has achieved more in his career and is already familiar to the Origin environment as well as the stadium - Papalii maybe over-awed.

In saying my bench would look like...

14. Shillington
15. Lawrence
16. Te'o
17. Papalii

That bench is brilliant. Lawrence is one of the form props of the comp atm and Te'o and Papalii would bring so much aggression. Love it

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Fair call on Edrick Lee. Is still very raw but is in great form and gives us a Folau like target to kick at across field.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Fair call on Edrick Lee. Is still very raw but is in great form and gives us a Folau like target to kick at across field.

Agree that he is a special talent in great form and gives us a good target to kick to. But it also gives NSW a good target to run at

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Yeah, let's let Edrick have his first near-full season of first grade before lumping him into Origin. He should be considered for next year though, if he continues his form and improvement.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Yeah, good stuff.

Personally I'd have Lawrence or Lillyman ahead of McGuire and Kennedy. I just don't think the latter two are ready yet, and we're better off sticking with a player with more experience and who's in better form.

Te'o would be my pick out of that lot and I'd have him before Papalii. Papalii maybe in better form, but Te'o has achieved more in his career and is already familiar to the Origin environment as well as the stadium - Papalii maybe over-awed.

In saying my bench would look like...

14. Shillington
15. Lawrence
16. Te'o
17. Papalii

True, forgot about Lawrence. He's been fantastic this year, and could be an Adam Mogg sort of bolter.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

Agree, but just ditch option 3... should never be considered. Apart from anything else, he's retiring this year. Why bother when you can blood a youngster like Chambers, Gagai or O'Neill (Nielsen has been tried...was rather mediocre).
hes about the same age that adam mogg was when he made his origin debut. turned out rather well there, and ash graham is a much more renown tryscorer than mogg.

i cant understand why people are so quick to say no to graham. the guy will finish any try scoring opportunity you put in front of him, has a great combination with thurston, and wont let anyone down in defence. the guy hed be replacing, boyd, has done next to nothing other than ride inglis' coat tails for 7 series straight. that is one job that there literally is noone better in the league at doing that than graham. if nothing else, he knows how to get the ball over the tryline when the tryline is there for the taking.

i think he should get it even more because hes retiring. give the poor fella whos being forced into retirement a career highlight to go out with. lets face it, whoever gets the job isnt going to be there in game 2 no matter how well they play unless boyd is still injured. thats just fact. why not give it to someone who will not let you down, who has played consistently good footy for a long time, and who has deserved to be an origin player on the back of a few fantastic seasons in a row?

plus, hes an actual winger. chambers? nope. o'neil? nope. well that and the fact that ferguson absolutely schooled him the other week. gagai? coming back from like a 6 week injury, and still with relatively few games under his belt, in the opening match of the series? no thanks.

TEAM GRAHAM!!! go you good thing.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011

Edrick Lee is a gun he will get his chance eventually

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011

I definitely think it's going to be either Nielson or O'Neill to replace Boyd, won't be anyone else (I'd much prefer Chambers or Lee), I also think our best option would be -

8) Scott
10) Myles
11) Thaiday
12) Harrison
13) Parker

14) Shillington
15) Te'o
16) Gillett
17) Papalli

You're right mate and i hope it's not O'Neil as Ferguson had it all over him when they played MEL a few weeks back.

As for that pack and bench, spot on apart from Gillett. I would like to see Kennedy in for a bit of bulk and grunt. I think Gillett's defense is a big concern this year but will probably still get in out of loyalty. Gillett may go the way of Parker, in then a big gap (he plays a few seasons) then back in down the track...plenty of time from him as well.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/Boyd%20cleared%20of%20serious%20injury/75712

Newcastle Knights’ fullback Darius Boyd has been cleared of serious injury following scans on Monday.Boyd injured his ankle early in the second half of Sunday’s game against the New Zealand Warriors.
An x-ray on Sunday night in Auckland was inconclusive but scans on Monday have cleared him of serious injury.
Boyd will be assessed during the week and with Queensland naming their Origin side on Monday night, the Club wish him all the best for selection.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

I'd rather Boyd didn't play to be honest. I don't care how "unserious" it is, he's not going to be 100%.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

I'd rather Boyd didn't play to be honest. I don't care how "unserious" it is, he's not going to be 100%.

Meh, I'd take him on one leg over Graham or O'Neill. His attack will suffer, but let's be honest, playing outside of guys like Thurston and Inglis, all he has to do is catch and fall over anyway. His defence will still be better than the other 2 and he'll be as reliable as always.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Meh, I'd take him on one leg over Graham or O'Neill. His attack will suffer, but let's be honest, playing outside of guys like Thurston and Inglis, all he has to do is catch and fall over anyway. His defence will still be better than the other 2 and he'll be as reliable as always.

Yup, same here. As long as it keeps oniell out of the team, ill take boyd at even 50%

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008

I agree.
He's a good solid winger for us, but i'm sure we have other options who are fully fit.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Camp underway, gear sorted and team announced at 6:35.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

I can see you guys like this Papalii guy. i did a search for queensland team before (thought it would have been announced by now) and a news article came up saying he had been picked

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

I can see you guys like this Papalii guy. i did a search for queensland team before (thought it would have been announced by now) and a news article came up saying he had been picked

He's in camp.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Just as cover for Te'o (I assume).

A

azza.79

BRL Player
Jul 6, 2011

Official qld squad:
1. Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm)
2. Darius Boyd (Newcastle Knights)
3. Greg Inglis (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
4. Justin Hodges (Brisbane Broncos)
5. Brent Tate (North Queensland Cowboys)
6. Johnathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)
7. Cooper Cronk (Melbourne Storm)
8. Matt Scott (North Queensland Cowboys)
9. Cameron Smith (c) (Melbourne Storm)
10. David Shillington (Canberra Raiders)
11. Nate Myles (Gold Coast Titans)
12. Sam Thaiday (Brisbane Broncos)
13. Ashley Harrison (Gold Coast Titans)
14. Corey Parker (Brisbane Broncos)
15. Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)
16. Ben Te'o (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
17. Chris McQueen (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
18. Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Sea Eagles)
19. Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)
Coach: Mal Meninga

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.